Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2006 Liberty Sport - Dust shields?

400 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gyrocaptain 
#1 ·
Short version of the story: Got rear pads and rotors in July. Put about 7000 miles on them, mostly in Northern Michigan. Sandy soil, dirt roads, snow, roads brined and sanded. Rear brakes started grinding last Thursday. Tuffy replaced the pads and rotors under warranty, and said that the problem was that the dust shields are completely rotted away. Today they quoted me $1600 to replace them.

1) Do I really need to replace them? Can I get away with washing her regularly during the winter and after muddy drives?

2) If I do need to replace them, should it really cost $1600? Looks like I can buy the shields themselves for about $60 at any parts place. Is there really $1540 in labor involved?

Thanks!

#2 ·
If you had to bring it in because the brakes were grinding, and the dust shields were rotted, then you probably need them.

They are called dust shields, but they are really there to protect the backside of the rotors from rocks, gravel, etc.
The idea is to keep smaller pebbles and debris from getting between the pads and rotor.

As for the $1600 quote, the only way it makes sense is if they are charging $500/hour for labor. Otherwise, they are completely nuts.

Some people swear that the shields cause more problems than they prevent, some yank them off first chance they get, others swear taking them off is stupid.

But, if after 7,000 miles, you needed to get the parts replaced, it might be a good idea to have them replaced. Even with regular washes, debris still gets wedged in there. And unless your climbing under the Liberty and cleaning the backside of the rotors /pads, them car washes aren't going to do much for the shields being broken.

Tapatalk for Android - Works awesome on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.