2006 liberty diesel transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2006 liberty diesel transmission problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
travelndog

2006 liberty diesel transmission problems

Greetings,
It seem that my transmission completely disengaged ( for lack of any other way to describe the phenomena) while I was driving on my way to work this morning on the freeway. It didn't come out of gear, per say, it just all of a sudden ceased transferring power from the engine to the wheels (BTW- I drive full time with the transfer case in full time 4 wheel drive). I coasted to the offramp of the freeway and pulled off to the shoulder. I put the transmission into 'PARK' and that worked. I checked the transfer case by first positioning it into 'NEUTRAL' which caused the jeep to roll forward predictably. Then I positioned the transfer case into each position from '2WD' all the way to '4WD Lo'. Each time in each position, the transfer case engaged as it should have normally. Now when I tried all of the transmission positions ('R' 'D' '2' and '1'), the vehicle wouldn't move forward and acted as if it were in 'N'-Neutral and the engine would just rev up as I applied the throttle. I think I hear a high pitched but subtle whirring whining sound as I rev the engine. The engine seem to run normally. I checked the transmission fluid and it is at the correct level and didn't have any abnormal smell, look or consistency. I can't think of anything else and from the looks of it, it sound like I have a major transmission problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that I've been told that in some newer transmissions, plastic bands are used instead of gears. Did I break a band? Ok, I'm ready for any and all input and advice from my fellow 'Jeep Forum' peeps. Help......

travelndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

One broken band would cause it to lose one gear not all. It sounds like the torque convertor went bad if you get no action out of it in any gear that is one common item it could be a shaft but that doesn't seem right if it happened as you were driving down the road.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
travelndog

Thanks..... I appreciate the input.
Sounds like I just need to take it in and let an expert charge me lots of money.

Im still trying to learn how to navigate this site. Being a clueless newbie means That life is good when there are few high expectations for me to be an over achiever.

Unread 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
travelndog

It makes sense that it might be the torque converter like GrapeApe mentioned. I wonder how much that's gonna cost.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelndog View Post
It makes sense that it might be the torque converter like GrapeApe mentioned. I wonder how much that's gonna cost.
I agree that chances are very high that you are looking at a torque converter issue.

Have any friends (or friends of friends) that turn wrenches for a living?

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.