2006 Liberty CRD for a Total Noob (me)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2006 Liberty CRD for a Total Noob (me)?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
ohyousooners

2006 Liberty CRD for a Total Noob (me)?

Other than getting to ride Engineer Pass in Colorado as a kid, my "Jeep Experience" is practically ZERO! However, I'm curious, and would like to get into some light trail stuff with my teenage son.

I'm aware of a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) for sale in my area. It's got 103,000 miles on it, and the owner wants $7500 for it. The sellers testimony and the pics seem to indicate it's in pretty good shape, but I have yet to inspect it.

I envision keeping this Jeep stock, and using it as a daily driver, with an occasional trip to the mountains for some fly-fishing and light 4x4 trail runs. The better MPG of the CRD is attractive for the daily duties.

I've heard some negative Jeep reviews, with complaints they are in need of frequent repair. Consumer Reports describes their reliability with a few black dots. Plus, I'm not super excited about the Jeep build quality in general. However, I'm not sure how the CDR engine stacks up in the reliability department.

While I'm fairly handy with basic car repairs and maintenance, I'd don't have the time or inclination to be working on a Jeep all the time. I'm just looking for my next car with the hopes it can do a little more than the typical boring Oldsmobuick.

Should I buy this Liberty CRD?
Thanks in advance for your opinions, recommendations, and warnings of notable pitfalls concerning the 2006 Liberty CRD.

(Please note, I have searched this forum for info on the CRD. While great, most of it is older. I'm curious to hear about the 06 CRD through the lens of the present, as these models have now been around for a while to prove or disprove themselves.)

ohyousooners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyousooners View Post
Other than getting to ride Engineer Pass in Colorado as a kid, my "Jeep Experience" is practically ZERO! However, I'm curious, and would like to get into some light trail stuff with my teenage son.

I'm aware of a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) for sale in my area. It's got 103,000 miles on it, and the owner wants $7500 for it. The sellers testimony and the pics seem to indicate it's in pretty good shape, but I have yet to inspect it.

I envision keeping this Jeep stock, and using it as a daily driver, with an occasional trip to the mountains for some fly-fishing and light 4x4 trail runs. The better MPG of the CRD is attractive for the daily duties.

I've heard some negative Jeep reviews, with complaints they are in need of frequent repair. Consumer Reports describes their reliability with a few black dots. Plus, I'm not super excited about the Jeep build quality in general. However, I'm not sure how the CDR engine stacks up in the reliability department.

While I'm fairly handy with basic car repairs and maintenance, I'd don't have the time or inclination to be working on a Jeep all the time. I'm just looking for my next car with the hopes it can do a little more than the typical boring Oldsmobuick.

Should I buy this Liberty CRD?
Thanks in advance for your opinions, recommendations, and warnings of notable pitfalls concerning the 2006 Liberty CRD.

(Please note, I have searched this forum for info on the CRD. While great, most of it is older. I'm curious to hear about the 06 CRD through the lens of the present, as these models have now been around for a while to prove or disprove themselves.)
Make sure the cam belt has been recently replaced!

Best place for KJ CRD information is the CRD section..."Love the Torque"...at:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum

There is a very active community of CRD owners there, also look at the "CRD Tech only" section and read the Sam's Noob Guide.

My 2002 Export 2.5 CRD has given me next to no trouble and as long as you keep a close watch on the problem areas mentioned at Lost the CRD can be a great vehicle.
Unread 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
ohyousooners

Thanks BillWill, these are some great resources!
ohyousooners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

I love mine… If you get the Jeep look into http://greendieselengineering.com/goPage.do?method=home for this ECU tune. This is the best single thing you can do to The CRD…. These Jeeps are pretty stout as far as how they are built. Check out the info on the LOST link provided by Billwill
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
codygspoon

I agree with getting the belt checked. Have had mine for 3 years and have put over 50,000 miles on it. I love it. Has not had any problems and it averages about 26-28 mpg on my 12hr drives doing 80 on cruise even with my ATs. If you keep highway tires on it I'm sure it will do even better. And the price for it is very good with the amount of miles on it. Like I said love mine.
codygspoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ohyousooners

Absolutely find out if the belt and all the other needed parts have been changed by a reputable shop. If it has not been done, you will be looking at a 1500+ expense. If it has been serviced for that, do look at a GDE Tune - it will do wonders for these little tractors.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.