2006 CRD Fuel Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2006 CRD Fuel Mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Reply
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
tim273
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 12
2006 CRD Fuel Mileage

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading some of the posts on here about the fuel mileage on the CRD's. I've been calculating the mileage on our CRD and it's been disappointedly low. Last I calculated it was about 20 MPG. I remember thinking "20 MPG, THAT'S IT?!?!" I mean, come on, it's a diesel!! If the VW TDI's get about 40-50MPG ours has to be better than 20?!? My brother-in-law has a big Chevy pickup with a diesel and he says it sometimes gets 20 MPG. I may have calculated wrong, but so far that seems to be the average.

Here's the other factors that I may have not considered:

1. This is mainly city driving mixed with some highway (maybe 65/35)
2. Usually there are 2 people and a toddler as passengers and not too much cargo (just groceries or stuff from the store)
3. There are 8000 miles on it. I know there's a "break-in period" for diesels and I'm not sure when that is.
4. My wife does a lot of the driving and she sometimes accelerates a lot
5. We tend to leave it running when we make quick stops at the store. My brother-in-law said one of the worst things for a diesel are the quick 15 minute trips to the store when you stop and start it

I saw the other post where someone got 26MPG going 75MPH and full of people so maybe I'm calculating wrong. I'm not sure, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tim

tim273 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
BVCRD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buena Vista, Colorado
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim273
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading some of the posts on here about the fuel mileage on the CRD's. I've been calculating the mileage on our CRD and it's been disappointedly low. Last I calculated it was about 20 MPG. I remember thinking "20 MPG, THAT'S IT?!?!" I mean, come on, it's a diesel!! If the VW TDI's get about 40-50MPG ours has to be better than 20?!? My brother-in-law has a big Chevy pickup with a diesel and he says it sometimes gets 20 MPG. I may have calculated wrong, but so far that seems to be the average.

Here's the other factors that I may have not considered:

1. This is mainly city driving mixed with some highway (maybe 65/35)
2. Usually there are 2 people and a toddler as passengers and not too much cargo (just groceries or stuff from the store)
3. There are 8000 miles on it. I know there's a "break-in period" for diesels and I'm not sure when that is.
4. My wife does a lot of the driving and she sometimes accelerates a lot
5. We tend to leave it running when we make quick stops at the store. My brother-in-law said one of the worst things for a diesel are the quick 15 minute trips to the store when you stop and start it

I saw the other post where someone got 26MPG going 75MPH and full of people so maybe I'm calculating wrong. I'm not sure, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tim


Hello, that was my post. I have gotten as high as 31 mpg when only driving 55 mph on 100% highway. I speed up a little until I see the rpms drop and that tells me it is in 5th gear then coast back down to the desired speed. You're doing most things wrong to get the best mpg. First, city driving kills the mpg. 20 is probably about what you should expect. 2nd, you are getting upwards in the break in period so that isn't a factor anymore. 3rd, tell your wife to not jump on the throttle. That kills mpg no matter what you are driving. 4th, turn the engine off if you will be stopped more than say 20 seconds. You will save fuel by doing so. Your Bro inLaw is correct.... sort of. Our CRDs have a quick heater in them that gets us up to temp faster than usual. As long as the temp is getting up to operating temp, it doesn't hurt it to shut it off. Mine gets up to temp in about 4-5 minutes.
__________________
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
BVCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
Tough Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton, Montana
Posts: 70
City driving kills mileage for all vehicles except the hybrids....

I live in a rural area, and typically get 22-24mpg with mixed driving....on longer road trips seeing 26-30mpg is very common.

Chris
__________________
[b]2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 4X4[/b] 2/06 Build Date. Stock for now....
[b]1999 F-250 PSD Crew Cab S/B Lariat 4X4[/b] SCT and DP-Tuned, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Fumoto, Triple Gauge Pod, Autometer Phantoms, Sirius....
Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
dthorpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 29
I get 23 in city and 28 on flat highway. I was getting 14 in the city with my F150, so I'm happy. This is the only vehicle that will tow 5000 lbs. and get 23 mpg in the city (when not towing). So for a person who has to occasionally tow, but does a lot of commuting, the CRD is pretty good. IMO, if you don't tow, you can find much better solutions than the CRD.
dthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
BigCanoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 316
21-22 in mostly town (45mph, stoplights) driving
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi 5.7
BigCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
LIBAR8R
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24
I just did a test on my "gas" fed liberty, Over the past week, driving to and from work, highway, and some short in town stops, I averaged 18.5 mpg. Not bad. I wonder how much better it would be if I got a K&N filter and a better breathing cat back setup.
LIBAR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
JD Cooper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South central TX
Posts: 9
My 2006 CRD does 23-24 when used in combination driving AKA city/highway. (I commute from the country to job in town) It got 25.5 highway miles on two separate highway trips each of about 700 miles. (these trips are in South Texas in hot, dry, dusty conditions) I typically drive 70-75 MPH.

J
JD Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
BVCRD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buena Vista, Colorado
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Cooper
My 2006 CRD does 23-24 when used in combination driving AKA city/highway. (I commute from the country to job in town) It got 25.5 highway miles on two separate highway trips each of about 700 miles. (these trips are in South Texas in hot, dry, dusty conditions) I typically drive 70-75 MPH.

J


Unlike gas engines, diesels actually prefer hot weather. Best to keep it at 1800 rpms in 5th for the best mpg.
__________________
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
BVCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
fdonham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8
CRD Mileage

I only have 2500 miles on my CRD, and have gotten 26 mpg on the highway, with some hills, driving the speed limit(55-70 mph). I get about 22 mpg in a mixture of highway and in town driving. The only problem is diesel is 2.49 and regular is 2.12, so much of the gain in mpg is negated by the extra cost of diesel. I wonder when diesel prices will return to nearer the cost of regular. When I bought my CRD there was only a .04 difference; now its .37.
fdonham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
rob92xj
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdonham
I only have 2500 miles on my CRD, and have gotten 26 mpg on the highway, with some hills, driving the speed limit(55-70 mph). I get about 22 mpg in a mixture of highway and in town driving. The only problem is diesel is 2.49 and regular is 2.12, so much of the gain in mpg is negated by the extra cost of diesel. I wonder when diesel prices will return to nearer the cost of regular. When I bought my CRD there was only a .04 difference; now its .37.
The cost of diesel is not going to go down anytime soon, due to the fuel companies being forced to supply better quality fuel. Of all countries that have diesel engine in vehicles we have the worst fuel of all.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #11
dcxman
Registered User
2006 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: beaufort, mo
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92xj
The cost of diesel is not going to go down anytime soon, due to the fuel companies being forced to supply better quality fuel. Of all countries that have diesel engine in vehicles we have the worst fuel of all.
Not to mention that industrial applications are increasingly using diesel, the home
heating season is upon us, and for the good part, American auto/truck manufacturers are about to jump big time into it. So are the Japs. The Germans have known about the benefits of diesel for centuries.
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
BVCRD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buena Vista, Colorado
Posts: 1,509
Gas and diesel are the same price here. Down to $2.56 from $3.39.
__________________
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
BVCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
peje
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 125
I have just come from a 350miles trip, belive it or not my Liberty V6 GAS did very very good 21-22 mpg. During this trip i did not have to stop at the gas station at all. The all trip I was driving 60-70mph so i wonder how come the CRD is not getting better mpg than 25-26.
peje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
RFCRD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by peje
I have just come from a 350miles trip, belive it or not my Liberty V6 GAS did very very good 21-22 mpg. During this trip i did not have to stop at the gas station at all. The all trip I was driving 60-70mph so i wonder how come the CRD is not getting better mpg than 25-26.
They will if they are running healthy and driven carefully. I've run mine up to 480 miles and refilled with @ 17 gal. (roughly 28 mpg). That was running cruise control, 70-75 mph on a mountainous expressway, dry 90+ degree day. It would easily do the 500 miles claimed by Jeep but was too far to chance to the next fuel stop. Superior mileage still won't off-set the 60 cent/gal fuel cost premium I currently have to pay over gasoline.
RFCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
BVCRD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buena Vista, Colorado
Posts: 1,509
They do, or at least mine does when I drive civilized at 55 and on flat ground. Gets 31 then.
__________________
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
BVCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.