Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2006 CRD Fuel Mileage

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  rob92xj 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading some of the posts on here about the fuel mileage on the CRD's. I've been calculating the mileage on our CRD and it's been disappointedly low. Last I calculated it was about 20 MPG. I remember thinking "20 MPG, THAT'S IT?!?!" I mean, come on, it's a diesel!! If the VW TDI's get about 40-50MPG ours has to be better than 20?!? My brother-in-law has a big Chevy pickup with a diesel and he says it sometimes gets 20 MPG. I may have calculated wrong, but so far that seems to be the average.

Here's the other factors that I may have not considered:

1. This is mainly city driving mixed with some highway (maybe 65/35)
2. Usually there are 2 people and a toddler as passengers and not too much cargo (just groceries or stuff from the store)
3. There are 8000 miles on it. I know there's a "break-in period" for diesels and I'm not sure when that is.
4. My wife does a lot of the driving and she sometimes accelerates a lot
5. We tend to leave it running when we make quick stops at the store. My brother-in-law said one of the worst things for a diesel are the quick 15 minute trips to the store when you stop and start it

I saw the other post where someone got 26MPG going 75MPH and full of people so maybe I'm calculating wrong. I'm not sure, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
tim273 said:
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading some of the posts on here about the fuel mileage on the CRD's. I've been calculating the mileage on our CRD and it's been disappointedly low. Last I calculated it was about 20 MPG. I remember thinking "20 MPG, THAT'S IT?!?!" I mean, come on, it's a diesel!! If the VW TDI's get about 40-50MPG ours has to be better than 20?!? My brother-in-law has a big Chevy pickup with a diesel and he says it sometimes gets 20 MPG. I may have calculated wrong, but so far that seems to be the average.

Here's the other factors that I may have not considered:

1. This is mainly city driving mixed with some highway (maybe 65/35)
2. Usually there are 2 people and a toddler as passengers and not too much cargo (just groceries or stuff from the store)
3. There are 8000 miles on it. I know there's a "break-in period" for diesels and I'm not sure when that is.
4. My wife does a lot of the driving and she sometimes accelerates a lot
5. We tend to leave it running when we make quick stops at the store. My brother-in-law said one of the worst things for a diesel are the quick 15 minute trips to the store when you stop and start it

I saw the other post where someone got 26MPG going 75MPH and full of people so maybe I'm calculating wrong. I'm not sure, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tim
Hello, that was my post. I have gotten as high as 31 mpg when only driving 55 mph on 100% highway. I speed up a little until I see the rpms drop and that tells me it is in 5th gear then coast back down to the desired speed. You're doing most things wrong to get the best mpg. First, city driving kills the mpg. 20 is probably about what you should expect. 2nd, you are getting upwards in the break in period so that isn't a factor anymore. 3rd, tell your wife to not jump on the throttle. That kills mpg no matter what you are driving. 4th, turn the engine off if you will be stopped more than say 20 seconds. You will save fuel by doing so. Your Bro inLaw is correct.... sort of. Our CRDs have a quick heater in them that gets us up to temp faster than usual. As long as the temp is getting up to operating temp, it doesn't hurt it to shut it off. Mine gets up to temp in about 4-5 minutes.

#3 ·
City driving kills mileage for all vehicles except the hybrids....

I live in a rural area, and typically get 22-24mpg with mixed driving....on longer road trips seeing 26-30mpg is very common.

Chris

#4 ·
I get 23 in city and 28 on flat highway. I was getting 14 in the city with my F150, so I'm happy. This is the only vehicle that will tow 5000 lbs. and get 23 mpg in the city (when not towing). So for a person who has to occasionally tow, but does a lot of commuting, the CRD is pretty good. IMO, if you don't tow, you can find much better solutions than the CRD.

#6 ·
I just did a test on my "gas" fed liberty, Over the past week, driving to and from work, highway, and some short in town stops, I averaged 18.5 mpg. Not bad. I wonder how much better it would be if I got a K&N filter and a better breathing cat back setup. :wave:

#7 ·
My 2006 CRD does 23-24 when used in combination driving AKA city/highway. (I commute from the country to job in town) It got 25.5 highway miles on two separate highway trips each of about 700 miles. (these trips are in South Texas in hot, dry, dusty conditions) I typically drive 70-75 MPH.

J

#8 ·
JD Cooper said:
My 2006 CRD does 23-24 when used in combination driving AKA city/highway. (I commute from the country to job in town) It got 25.5 highway miles on two separate highway trips each of about 700 miles. (these trips are in South Texas in hot, dry, dusty conditions) I typically drive 70-75 MPH.

J
Unlike gas engines, diesels actually prefer hot weather. Best to keep it at 1800 rpms in 5th for the best mpg.

#9 ·
CRD Mileage

I only have 2500 miles on my CRD, and have gotten 26 mpg on the highway, with some hills, driving the speed limit(55-70 mph). I get about 22 mpg in a mixture of highway and in town driving. The only problem is diesel is 2.49 and regular is 2.12, so much of the gain in mpg is negated by the extra cost of diesel. I wonder when diesel prices will return to nearer the cost of regular. When I bought my CRD there was only a .04 difference; now its .37.

#10 ·
fdonham said:
I only have 2500 miles on my CRD, and have gotten 26 mpg on the highway, with some hills, driving the speed limit(55-70 mph). I get about 22 mpg in a mixture of highway and in town driving. The only problem is diesel is 2.49 and regular is 2.12, so much of the gain in mpg is negated by the extra cost of diesel. I wonder when diesel prices will return to nearer the cost of regular. When I bought my CRD there was only a .04 difference; now its .37.
The cost of diesel is not going to go down anytime soon, due to the fuel companies being forced to supply better quality fuel. Of all countries that have diesel engine in vehicles we have the worst fuel of all.

#11 ·
rob92xj said:
The cost of diesel is not going to go down anytime soon, due to the fuel companies being forced to supply better quality fuel. Of all countries that have diesel engine in vehicles we have the worst fuel of all.
Not to mention that industrial applications are increasingly using diesel, the home
heating season is upon us, and for the good part, American auto/truck manufacturers are about to jump big time into it. So are the Japs. The Germans have known about the benefits of diesel for centuries.:D

#13 ·
I have just come from a 350miles trip, belive it or not my Liberty V6 GAS did very very good 21-22 mpg. During this trip i did not have to stop at the gas station at all. The all trip I was driving 60-70mph so i wonder how come the CRD is not getting better mpg than 25-26.

#14 ·
peje said:
I have just come from a 350miles trip, belive it or not my Liberty V6 GAS did very very good 21-22 mpg. During this trip i did not have to stop at the gas station at all. The all trip I was driving 60-70mph so i wonder how come the CRD is not getting better mpg than 25-26.
They will if they are running healthy and driven carefully. I've run mine up to 480 miles and refilled with @ 17 gal. (roughly 28 mpg). That was running cruise control, 70-75 mph on a mountainous expressway, dry 90+ degree day. It would easily do the 500 miles claimed by Jeep but was too far to chance to the next fuel stop. Superior mileage still won't off-set the 60 cent/gal fuel cost premium I currently have to pay over gasoline.

#16 ·
My 06 is at 2800 miles and with all city short trip driving is now averaging a solid 22 MPG so I'm happy:laugh: Diesels don't reach their potemtial untill broken in and on a VW TDI it can be as high as 20k miles before their broken in:wave:

#17 ·
RFCRD said:
They will if they are running healthy and driven carefully. I've run mine up to 480 miles and refilled with @ 17 gal. (roughly 28 mpg). That was running cruise control, 70-75 mph on a mountainous expressway, dry 90+ degree day. It would easily do the 500 miles claimed by Jeep but was too far to chance to the next fuel stop. Superior mileage still won't off-set the 60 cent/gal fuel cost premium I currently have to pay over gasoline.
On the last long trip we took with my wifes 05 KJ we got 20mpg @ 320miles/tank, with the cruise control set at 65-70mph and that was driving to and from Long Island, NY, mostly flat roads.
Don't forget with the CRD the maintence costs are lower then the 3.7's, longer oil change intervals no spark plugs to by every 30000 miles, no PCV valve to replace there are other thing to consider when thinking of the cost to drive. The CRD is less expensive to drive then the 3.7 per mile, plus the higher resale value of a diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.