2006 CRD Check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2006 CRD Check engine light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
CPL01
2006 KJ Liberty 

2006 CRD Check engine light

All,

In mid-November we purchased a 2006 with about 95k miles on it. Since the weather was warm (for fall in South Dakota), was filling with #2 diesel. We had a cold snap in early December and the Check Engine Light came on one day. I went to a local auto parts store to read the codes and their reader indicated "no codes" even though the CEL was on. Puzzled, I stopped by a fuel station and topped off the tank with #1 diesel (would have been about 40% #1). Upon restarting after the fill up, the CEL was off.

Since the first time, the CEL has come on two times. I did not try to read the OBD in either case. Both times, I filled the tank (first time it was 1/4 full, the second about 1/2 full) with #1 and #2 with the goal of about a 50% blend (I have not found a local station selling a blend). The CEL light stayed on when I restarted after fueling, but after running errands, the CEL was off by the third or fourth time I started it up.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any thoughts on why I could not read any codes the first time? Is there a OBD II reader that is "better" for Liberty CRDs?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan

CPL01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would have expected most if not all stations in your neck of the woods should be pumping winter blend fuel by now. Usually by mid to late October many stations up here are already converting to winter blend.

Your CRD will be a lot happier if you do a few things. If you have not replaced your fuel filter since purchasing (under hood - bolted to the fire wall) it would be a real good idea to do. Through out the winter, add 12oz of Power Service in every fuel fill (helps keep your fuel from gelling). Another real good idea, since diesel fuel has reduced lubricity since the "05" mandated USLD (ultra low sulfur diesel fuel) came to market - I would suggest that you add 4 to 8 oz of Super Tech (available at smallmart) outboard motor oil to each tank fill up. It blends into the fuel quite well. Your CRD will thank you.

Has the timing belt been changed on your CRD? It needs to be changed (along with other needed parts) by 100K. A belt failure could be terminal to the 2.8 VM engine - or at least a healthy repair cost.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
synthetic-oil
2006 KJ Liberty 

Only hard codes get stored. Soft codes are not. Once you turn the engine off soft codes are lost.
84 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gaser
synthetic-oil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.