2005 liberty Parking / Emergency Brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2005 liberty Parking / Emergency Brake

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
babes66
2005 KJ Liberty 

2005 liberty Parking / Emergency Brake

Hi all,
I have a 05 Liberty Renegade with a 6spd manual and I have been having problems with my parking / emergency brake. The brake no matter how far I pull it up it just doesn't hold the jeep at all, Having a manual Trans., I really need it for parking (currently I avoid Hills at all costs). I have also searched the forum for others with this problem and found some threads on how to adjust the rear brakes and tighten the E-brake handle. Both had no effect on the parking brake performance.
My question is has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you do to remedy it? Is it possible that the separate emergency brake shoes have worn out so much it can not hold the jeep or is it something more complex?
Thanks in advance
~Jeff

babes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
OhsixKJ
2010 XK Commander 

have a friend pull on the lever while you look at the shoes for the e-brake especially where the end of the cable is that should give you a better look at what is wrong. take the caliper and disc off of one of the rear wheels to get a look at it.
OhsixKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
jeeplibby1

The shoes used for stopping and emergency brake are the same. My friend had this same issue on his wrangler. If you do like the above post says and remove the drum and have a friend pull the lever, you will see how the system works. The issue on his was that the mechanism that pulls the shoe had actually popped out of place. We put it back in and checked everything. No adjustment was needed and the brake took only 3 clicks to hold it on my insanely steep driveway. Good luck.
jeeplibby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplibby1 View Post
The shoes used for stopping and emergency brake are the same.
NOT
An 05 Liberty has both brake shoes for parking and pads for normal stopping for the rear brakes
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
babes66
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
NOT
An 05 Liberty has both brake shoes for parking and pads for normal stopping for the rear brakes
Yeah i was under the same impression that it had two sets of brakes.
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
jeeplibby1

My bad. Assumed this would be true for 2002-2007. Sorry for bad info.
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
jeeplibby1

Ok, now I am confused and curious. How is it possible to have one set of shoes for a parking brake and one set of shoes for braking. How are 4 shoes operating behind one drum? Or what am I missing? According to the parts breakdown for an '05 KJ, there are only one set of shoes, labled as parking brake shoes. I'm losing my mind, or someone will have to explain this to me.
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
babes66
2005 KJ Liberty 

I just tore into my rear brakes to check out the problem and to eliminate the confusion, Jeeplibby, they are rear disc brakes with a smaller drum brake under the "hat" of the rotor, so there are two separate brakes on the rear, Discs for primary stopping and a smaller brake shoes just for the parking brake.
I had a friend engaging and disengaging my parking brake from inside the jeep and it looks as though the parking brake does not disengage. This is evident by the fact that there is no more brake material left on the shoes, and it is down to the metal, which was constantly making contact(which explains my terrible gas mileage, and the noise coming from the brakes.) with the rotor.
Has anyone had this problem, it seems to be way more complex then just changing out the parking brake shoes, since the brakes do not disengage.
~Jeff
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
jeeplibby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by babes66 View Post
I just tore into my rear brakes to check out the problem and to eliminate the confusion, Jeeplibby, they are rear disc brakes with a smaller drum brake under the "hat" of the rotor, so there are two separate brakes on the rear, Discs for primary stopping and a smaller brake shoes just for the parking brake.
I had a friend engaging and disengaging my parking brake from inside the jeep and it looks as though the parking brake does not disengage. This is evident by the fact that there is no more brake material left on the shoes, and it is down to the metal, which was constantly making contact(which explains my terrible gas mileage, and the noise coming from the brakes.) with the rotor.
Has anyone had this problem, it seems to be way more complex then just changing out the parking brake shoes, since the brakes do not disengage.
~Jeff

OOOHHH. makes sense now. I didn't realize you had rear disk. Figured they where drum brakes.
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
oneaday141
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how did you adjust the e-brake???
oneaday141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
FredNeck
2005 KK Liberty 

Did you ever resolve this issue? Our 2005 Liberty has needed brakes replaced about every 30,000 miles, usually with a multitude of other parts, each time costing between $300 and $1,100. Are there improvements/retrofits for this?
FredNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
FredNeck
2005 KK Liberty 

It still always feels like the brakes are dragging, and gas mileage averages 18 mpg, terrible for a stick vehicle.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
xIceHoundx
2005 KJ Liberty 

did anyone ever find a resolution to this problem? I am having the same exact problem as to the rear passenger side ebrake not disengaging and it leads to a burning smell after driving and a ton of heat in that rear brake setup.
xIceHoundx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
FredNeck
2005 KK Liberty 

Brake issue still unresolved here

I have had the jeep to the dealer too many times, each time costing $300 to $1100 to get back. So I finally took it to non dealer repair. Same thing. Spent lots of money but still have dragging brakes, brake smell, poor mileage. (Down to 17 now.)
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
FredNeck
2005 KK Liberty 

The 2005 Liberty now has 178,000 miles and I expect to replace it this year with something better. I inherited this jeep when I bought my wife a new Taurus, and she won't trade back!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.