2005 Liberty p0038 code- Already replaced sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2005 Liberty p0038 code- Already replaced sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
vXxo0oxXv

2005 Liberty p0038 code- Already replaced sensor

Hey guys,

I'm still getting a p0038 code after replacing the drivers side post cat o2 sensor. It's a Bosch sensor that I got from NAPA.

I guess the code means theres a high voltage on the heater element, so I'm thinking maybe there's an open in the harnass.

I have a meter, but I don't know where the other end of the connections for the heater element terminates. I dug through the FSV looking for pinouts, but I couldn't find them.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

vXxo0oxXv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Bosch aftermarket O2 sensors are known for being junk in the repair industry. NTK or OE is about the only reliable source for sensors. I would check for power to the O2 sensor heater on that side, among other things. If you look at the O2 sensor, usually there are two white wires, a grey, and a black. The two white wires are the power and ground for the heater. Figure out what color that connect to at the connector.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
vxxo0oxxv2

After 3 years, finally got this resolved

Turns out it most likely was that heater element in the Bosch sensor. Probably wasn't within the resistance specification. I replaced it again with the OEM sensor, and now the light is gone. I was ****ting bricks at first though. The code didn't clear, even after a battery disconnect/reconnect. After a few starts and letting it run, it went away though.

Hope this helps someone else.
vxxo0oxxv2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like that was a 2 year fix. Glad to hear things are up and running.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxxo0oxxv2 View Post
After 3 years, finally got this resolved

Turns out it most likely was that heater element in the Bosch sensor. Probably wasn't within the resistance specification. I replaced it again with the OEM sensor, and now the light is gone. I was ****ting bricks at first though. The code didn't clear, even after a battery disconnect/reconnect. After a few starts and letting it run, it went away though.

Hope this helps someone else.
And why you never use a bosch O2 sensor.
Unread 08-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I use to work for a factory over 11 years ago who had manufactured carburetor and emission parts. One of the parts that I had worked on were O2 sensors. There were only 4 or 5 manufacturers for O2 sensors. Each make would come in a box from its source that would work for a predetermined range of vehicles. There were only a small handful of variants to accommodate for the resistance levels. We would cut the leads to the specified length, according to the vehicle (or platform) that they were being made for on that production run. We would then gather up all of the necessary components, such as the weather grommets, terminals, and the connectors (per vehicle specs) and terminate the ends. It was only after that point that the O2 sensors have become vehicle (or platform) specific. What is funny is that Motorcraft is a Bosch unit. Bosch will work well for some makes, but not others.

Much like the spark plugs for our KJs, it's either the NGK (ZFRAR-11G) or the Autolite platinum (AP3944), which ever has been specified for YOUR KJ (as noted on the Vehicle Information Label located on your radiator support), no other make of spark plug will perform as well for the KJ application.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I use to work for a factory over 11 years ago who had manufactured carburetor and emission parts. One of the parts that I had worked on were O2 sensors. There were only 4 or 5 manufacturers for O2 sensors. Each make would come in a box from its source that would work for a predetermined range of vehicles. There were only a small handful of variants to accommodate for the resistance levels. We would cut the leads to the specified length, according to the vehicle (or platform) that they were being made for on that production run. We would then gather up all of the necessary components, such as the weather grommets, terminals, and the connectors (per vehicle specs) and terminate the ends. It was only after that point that the O2 sensors have become vehicle (or platform) specific. What is funny is that Motorcraft is a Bosch unit. Bosch will work well for some makes, but not others.

Much like the spark plugs for our KJs, it's either the NGK (ZFRAR-11G) or the Autolite platinum (AP3944), which ever has been specified for YOUR KJ (as noted on the Vehicle Information Label located on your radiator support), no other make of spark plug will perform as well for the KJ application.
My Motorcraft O2's I bought for the Town Car are made by Denso,states right on the sensor and bought from the dealership and came out of a Motorcraft bag.

Oh and no platinum plug has ever been spec'd from the factory for any KJ or KK,or any 3.7 V6 that Chrysler made in the last 12 years.
Unread 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Oh and no platinum plug has ever been spec'd from the factory for any KJ or KK,or any 3.7 V6 that Chrysler made in the last 12 years.
I'm trying to go through my memory as to where I have read this. It seems to me that I have read this elsewhere on our forum (and other forums) that this was true. If I have been misinformed I will correct this and give the correct information in the future.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.