2005 Jeep Liberty - Program Keyless Remote - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2005 Jeep Liberty - Program Keyless Remote

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
drpmkp
2005 KJ Liberty 

2005 Jeep Liberty - Program Keyless Remote

I recently purchased a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited. The vehicle came with only one keyless remote. I purchased a second remote but cannot seem to get into program mode to program it.
I also have a 2003 Jeep Liberty that came with one remote. I was able to program a second remote for it with no problem.
The 2003 Liberty has an option in the overhead console "Train Remote". I do not see this option in the 2005 overhead console.
Any suggestions?

drpmkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Check the 05 owners manual. I was under the impression that you needed 2 working remotes to program a 3rd key/remote on an 05 KJ. So if you only have one working key/remote, I don't think you can do it. Pretty sure that's what it said in my 05 owners manual. (I was thinking of getting a 3rd key for this reason) The 05 might be different than the 03?? You might have to take it to the dealer.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
drpmkp
2005 KJ Liberty 

You need two programmed keys in order to program a third. However you only need one working keyless remote to program another keyless remote.
You should be able to use the electronic vehicle information center (EVIC) on the overhead console to train remote (Owner's Manual, p. 132-133). However, on my 2005 Liberty this does not show up as an option like it does on my 2003 Liberty.
I think something needs to be reset or something. I hate going to the dealer for things like this.
Unread 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
rmcalis
2011 WK 

Unfortunately, the 2005 has no "train remote" function in the EVIC; you must go to the dealer to have the programming done. After searching all options, I finally resorted to the dealer, had two new keys cut (I had the blanks) and had four programmed (originals plus the two new). Cost was about $60 as I remember.
rmcalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
drpmkp
2005 KJ Liberty 

OK thanks for the information. I was under the impression that the remote programming was separate from the key programming as in my 2003 Liberty.
Page 18 of the 2005 owner's manual shows directions for programming up to a total of 8 keys if you already have two valid keys.
Page 28 of the 2005 owner's manual shows directions for programming up to 4 remote transmitters and also mentions using the EVIC in the overhead console for programming them.
I understand now that programming the keys as described in page 18 will also program the remote at the same time. Does this mean you can have a total of 8 keys plus 4 additional remotes programmed or if you have 4 remotes you can have up to 4 additional keys made without the remotes?
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
nafman
2002 KJ Liberty 

I just programmed a new remote on my 02, the instructions say they are the same for up to 06. Need a working remote to make this work. On your programmed remote:
Switch the ignition to the on position.
Press and hold the Unlock button for at least four seconds. While holding this button, press the panic button and then release both buttons at the same time. You may or may not hear a chime from the vehicle.
Within 30 seconds, on all remotes to be programmed (including the original "programmed remote")press and release the lock and unlock buttons at the same time, followed by pressing ANY button on the remote.
Switch the ignition to off or wait 30 seconds for the programming mode to clear.

Just did it last eve, hope it works for you!
nafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
drpmkp
2005 KJ Liberty 

I think I am beginning to put the pieces together concerning this.
When searching ebay for remote FOBs for the Jeep Libertys. The FOBs for the 2002, 2003, and 2004 models do not have the ignition keys integrated into them.
The remote FOBs for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 models have the ignition keys integrated into them. When you cut and program the keys on these type FOBs the functions of the FOB are programmed at the same time as the transponder on the key.
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
benlburns

Where is the best price on these keys?
benlburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
benlburns

My question was from rmcalis post, but if anyone has more info that would be great.
benlburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
rmcalis
2011 WK 

I found mine on ebay - paid about $70 for the full key/remote and 20 for a key only.
Make sure you find one that is not already cut.
good luck.
rmcalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Outfitter1

used remotes work too and can be a bargain

Just bought a used 2007 Liberty sport with only one key which is the remote entry. I found a dealer on ebay, selling keys that were for cars they did not have. (cost me about 9 bucks) Then I bought the "shell" key blank for the same vehicle from another ebay seller at a Cost of about 10.00 and a blank transponder key for 7.95 as a put away spare for the future.
Now I just need to take it to the dealer and have it cut and programmed which should be about 45.00. The OE fob with programming would have been over 200.00.
Outfitter1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.