2005 jeep liberty 4x4 issues 4wheel light. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2005 jeep liberty 4x4 issues 4wheel light.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

ISSUE RESOLVED : replace transfer case switch.

About 2 month's ago I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and they notified me that there was gonna be work in the parking lot.. well I wasn't able to move it so they towed it up on a flatbed totally locked out from my car they dragged it onto the flatbed.. well something happened my 4x4 part time light is lit up in the console when its in 2 wheel drive.. I fixed it once by putting it in reverse and going back about 100' .. well today is a rainy day and I had to drive in my yard so I put it in 4x4.. well I turned it back to 2 wheel drive and the part time light is still lit up in the console.. any ideas? It says I'm in 4x4 when its in 2wheel.. I hope them dragging my car onto a flatbed didn't break anything..

satgdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satgdave View Post
About 2 month's ago I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and they notified me that there was gonna be work in the parking lot.. well I wasn't able to move it so they towed it up on a flatbed totally locked out from my car they dragged it onto the flatbed.. well something happened my 4x4 part time light is lit up in the console when its in 2 wheel drive.. I fixed it once by putting it in reverse and going back about 100' .. well today is a rainy day and I had to drive in my yard so I put it in 4x4.. well I turned it back to 2 wheel drive and the part time light is still lit up in the console.. any ideas? It says I'm in 4x4 when its in 2wheel.. I hope them dragging my car onto a flatbed didn't break anything..
Glad you're back out of the hospital

Personally I would be giving the towing company - and the hospital maintenance supervisor - a piece of my mind. Yanking your your KJ up on a flatbed while in Park is just wrong.

As far as your dash indicator...The transfer case selector switch is a known problem and will give you false readings. Since the KJ gear selector is mechanical vs electronic there is no danger of your T-case being in the wrong slot (unless the cable breaks.) Here is a How-To on changing out the switch - the posts toward the end describe how to do it from the top through the console instead of from below.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Bob.. ya they didn't even ask for permission to move it they just did..

Ic the part ur talking about it cost $95.. bummer. Wonder if I can change it without dropping the transfer case..
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satgdave
Thanks Bob.. ya they didn't even ask for permission to move it they just did.. Ic the part ur talking about it cost $95.. bummer. Wonder if I can change it without dropping the transfer case..
Oh yea, there's no need to drop the T-case. You can just come in from the top by removing the console. Some have come in from below to remove the switch and didn't drop the T-case. It's actually a fairly straightforward repair once you see where the switch is and figure out a way to get a wrench on it.

Keep shopping around for the switch - I've seen it for around $60 from various suppliers. Try RockAuto.com.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Bob!!
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

U know what that's a great idea to pull the console. Saves me from gettn covered in oil .... just hope I can pop off the console with out breaking any attachments.. hmm

$58 at rock auto thanks!
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

I ordered the transfer case switch.. will let u guys know if changing it fixes it!
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

I can't find it I took off the console and everything.. Help..
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

OK I didn't totally take out the central console BC of worrying of breaking any plastic clips.. help me. Thanks.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

I need to remove the 4x4 leaver leather boot if I take a flathead to it will it come loose or am I just break it by taking it off BC it says it needs to come off. :/
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
John317

Unsnap the leather just below the handle, on mine I was able to just pull and work it loose. It just clips into place.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

OK will try.
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

OK just want to let u know I changed.. remove console the remove leather strap on 4x4 handle pry it off slowly and carefully after u get that off the place u need to be is right at the 4x4 switch un bolt the 4 or 5 nuts holding the switch onto the frame after u do that pull up and the transfer case switch is right there.. I don't think u can take it out with a wrench.. just no room to turn... so I bought a huge socket and turned it out
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

Also it fixes the issue by changing the transfer case switch..
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
satgdave
2005 KJ Liberty 

Also I used a 3" extension with a 1 1/2" socket worked perfect fit right on the transfer switch..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.