JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   2005 jeep liberty 4x4 issues 4wheel light. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/2005-jeep-liberty-4x4-issues-4wheel-light-1800145/)

satgdave 11-17-2013 01:01 PM

ISSUE RESOLVED : replace transfer case switch.

About 2 month's ago I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and they notified me that there was gonna be work in the parking lot.. well I wasn't able to move it so they towed it up on a flatbed totally locked out from my car they dragged it onto the flatbed.. well something happened my 4x4 part time light is lit up in the console when its in 2 wheel drive.. I fixed it once by putting it in reverse and going back about 100' .. well today is a rainy day and I had to drive in my yard so I put it in 4x4.. well I turned it back to 2 wheel drive and the part time light is still lit up in the console.. any ideas? It says I'm in 4x4 when its in 2wheel.. I hope them dragging my car onto a flatbed didn't break anything..

TwoBobsKJ 11-17-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satgdave (Post 17779465)
About 2 month's ago I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and they notified me that there was gonna be work in the parking lot.. well I wasn't able to move it so they towed it up on a flatbed totally locked out from my car they dragged it onto the flatbed.. well something happened my 4x4 part time light is lit up in the console when its in 2 wheel drive.. I fixed it once by putting it in reverse and going back about 100' .. well today is a rainy day and I had to drive in my yard so I put it in 4x4.. well I turned it back to 2 wheel drive and the part time light is still lit up in the console.. any ideas? It says I'm in 4x4 when its in 2wheel.. I hope them dragging my car onto a flatbed didn't break anything..

Glad you're back out of the hospital :thumbsup:

Personally I would be giving the towing company - and the hospital maintenance supervisor - a piece of my mind. Yanking your your KJ up on a flatbed while in Park is just wrong.

As far as your dash indicator...The transfer case selector switch is a known problem and will give you false readings. Since the KJ gear selector is mechanical vs electronic there is no danger of your T-case being in the wrong slot (unless the cable breaks.) Here is a How-To on changing out the switch - the posts toward the end describe how to do it from the top through the console instead of from below.

Bob

satgdave 11-18-2013 05:47 AM

Thanks Bob.. ya they didn't even ask for permission to move it they just did..

Ic the part ur talking about it cost $95.. bummer. Wonder if I can change it without dropping the transfer case..

TwoBobsKJ 11-18-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satgdave
Thanks Bob.. ya they didn't even ask for permission to move it they just did.. Ic the part ur talking about it cost $95.. bummer. Wonder if I can change it without dropping the transfer case..

Oh yea, there's no need to drop the T-case. You can just come in from the top by removing the console. Some have come in from below to remove the switch and didn't drop the T-case. It's actually a fairly straightforward repair once you see where the switch is and figure out a way to get a wrench on it.

Keep shopping around for the switch - I've seen it for around $60 from various suppliers. Try RockAuto.com.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

satgdave 11-18-2013 07:09 AM

Thanks Bob!!

satgdave 11-18-2013 07:29 AM

U know what that's a great idea to pull the console. Saves me from gettn covered in oil .... just hope I can pop off the console with out breaking any attachments.. hmm

$58 at rock auto thanks!

satgdave 11-18-2013 08:16 AM

I ordered the transfer case switch.. will let u guys know if changing it fixes it!

satgdave 11-20-2013 06:34 PM

I can't find it I took off the console and everything.. Help..

satgdave 11-20-2013 07:05 PM

OK I didn't totally take out the central console BC of worrying of breaking any plastic clips.. help me. Thanks.

satgdave 11-20-2013 08:36 PM

I need to remove the 4x4 leaver leather boot if I take a flathead to it will it come loose or am I just break it by taking it off BC it says it needs to come off. :/

John317 11-20-2013 10:16 PM

Unsnap the leather just below the handle, on mine I was able to just pull and work it loose. It just clips into place.

satgdave 11-22-2013 01:24 PM

OK will try.

satgdave 11-23-2013 12:50 PM

OK just want to let u know I changed.. remove console the remove leather strap on 4x4 handle pry it off slowly and carefully after u get that off the place u need to be is right at the 4x4 switch un bolt the 4 or 5 nuts holding the switch onto the frame after u do that pull up and the transfer case switch is right there.. I don't think u can take it out with a wrench.. just no room to turn... so I bought a huge socket and turned it out

satgdave 11-23-2013 12:50 PM

Also it fixes the issue by changing the transfer case switch..

satgdave 11-23-2013 02:05 PM

Also I used a 3" extension with a 1 1/2" socket worked perfect fit right on the transfer switch..

The time now is 12:50 AM.