2004 liberty gear box question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 liberty gear box question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
drewskimillmill

2004 liberty gear box question

Hey guys and gals,

Someone is trying to sell me a 2004 Jeep Liberty really cheap that has only 70kms on the original automatic gearbox but it needs alot of work apparently...it wont shift from 3rd to 4th.....is this a huge problem to fix and should be avoided or is this a great deal to be had?

I know someone who is an expert at fixing jeeps but is the gearbox going to be a reoccuring issue for me or is this pretty easily solved?

I live in the desert so is this car like totally beat down or can I get it cleaned up cheap and run with it?

Thanks soooo much guys and gals.

drewskimillmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The KJ your looking at has less than 43.5K for miles (70kms), really is pretty low for the year.

Not knowing what you can pick this up for (really cheap?) & how qualified your "expert" is and what tools and equipment is at their disposal makes kinda hard to venture a guess if this is a good purchase.

If this is a gasser it would have a 42RLE auto trans, if it is a CRD it would have the 545 auto trans. Check the trans fluid to see if it looks and / or smells burnt would be a great place to start. This could be minor, or more in depth. Are there any CEL's lit up? If so - seeing if you expert has a hand held scanner to read them would be a good step. Post up what codes there are - if any.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic , gear , liberty

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.