2004 KJ Rear End Thump - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 KJ Rear End Thump

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 02-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have only had my KJ for a few months, so I haven't looked at this yet. Are the drive shafts balanced/keyed? Meaning they can only go on one way?

The reason I ask is this: I had a 1999 F250 Powerstroke that did something very similar, but only in cold winter months. It was a 6 spd manual, so it would do it each time I upshifted until after 4th gear. Turns out, it was the teeth and groves in the driveshaft where the slip yoke was. The cold weather would cause the metal to shrink a little, cause a very small amount of "slop". I replaced all universals, and the carrier bearing, but it still happened. Once the warmer spring and summer weather would arrive, I got no "thump". When the torque of the motor would kick in after an upshift, the teeth would "thump" against the groves. I actually packed a lot of thick grease in it, solved the problem for a while, too.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
waywardtravel
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilngineer View Post
What might be the problem in the rear diff?

BTW- I am mostly the mechanic on this one. The shop just took a free look at it for me on Saturday. (I also quickly took a look at the front drive shaft while on the lift. I asked him at that time if ge noticed anything else and all he commented on was the front brakes and a slight rear main leak.

I also asked about u-joints but he said they would be vibrating like crazy if they were the problem.
I would not rule out U-joints, Upper tri-link or lower control arm bushings, gear lash in the diff or anything for that matter.
Can you try to coast on a flat road and try to punch it. Then get up to the same speed in the same gear then Very lightly touch the gas (just enough to know when the engine is pushing the car a tiny bit) then punch it.
Then do the same thing leaving the corner into traffic kind of thing both ways.
Is it only one clunk Every time it does it. Can you feel it?
Usually a thump or thud description is more of a bushing or shock kind of thing (control arm or tri-link) and a bang or clank, loud crack could be more driveline, U-joints, ring and pinion lash etc,,,
It's really a crap shoot in my opinion right now given the current description.
waywardtravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kj , rear , thump

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.