2004 Jeep Liberty w/ bad intake valves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 Jeep Liberty w/ bad intake valves

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
jeepmama1
2004 KJ Liberty 

2004 Jeep Liberty w/ bad intake valves

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl. I have not had any problems with the vehicle. After driving to camp and leaving the vehicle sitting for a week I noticed a white steam from the exhaust upon starting the car. The car was under 1/4 tank of gas and the week was warm during the days and fairly cool at night. After finding no apparent cause, I thought it might be condensation. The car drove fine all the way home. Within the next few days I had more white steam from the exhaust upon starting it, it began to misfire when going uphill as the vehicle approached 25-40 mph, and the check engine light came on. When I took it to the dealer I was told all 6 intake valves needed to be replaced. Any ideas what would cause all 6 to fail at the same time, or do I need to find another mechanic?

jeepmama1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
jeepjeepster

Find another mechanic to check it out unless its still under the power train warranty. Its not likely at all that all 6 valves would need to be replaced.

Is the coolant low at all? Did they check the compression? How many miles?
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Are you sure it didn't overheat?I had this happen at work,and it melted the valves,but it was driven about 30 miles on H.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
LoneLiberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

Are you sure they didn't say valve springs? I've heard some reports of valve springs breaking at around 100,000 miles.

Regardless, you should be covered under the 7 yr./70,000 mile warranty if it hasn't expired yet.
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
jeepmama1
2004 KJ Liberty 

No, it is definitely the valves all 6. As far as I know, it did not overheat. The temp. gauge never went above the halfway mark. It was low on coolant, but after adding some the level has not changed at all. The mechanics are trying to tell us that it was bad gas, or water in the gas that caused the valves to fail. They warned us about not putting any dry gas into the system as that could cause engine damage or blow out the catalytic convertor. Still sounds funny to me. I wouldn't think you would be able to drive the car at all if all 6 intake valves were bad.
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
jeepmama1
2004 KJ Liberty 

They didn't check the compression, just scanned the engine. The jeep has about 79,000 miles on it, so it is out of warranty.
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
LoneLiberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmama1 View Post
They didn't check the compression, just scanned the engine. The jeep has about 79,000 miles on it, so it is out of warranty.
Since it's out of warranty, I would take it to a trusted mechanic for any further evaluation.
Unread 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmama1 View Post
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl. I have not had any problems with the vehicle. After driving to camp and leaving the vehicle sitting for a week I noticed a white steam from the exhaust upon starting the car. The car was under 1/4 tank of gas and the week was warm during the days and fairly cool at night. After finding no apparent cause, I thought it might be condensation. The car drove fine all the way home. Within the next few days I had more white steam from the exhaust upon starting it, it began to misfire when going uphill as the vehicle approached 25-40 mph, and the check engine light came on. When I took it to the dealer I was told all 6 intake valves needed to be replaced. Any ideas what would cause all 6 to fail at the same time, or do I need to find another mechanic?
This also sounds like a bad head gasket.I never heard of bad gas,or water burning valves.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
jeepjeepster

If they only pulled the codes then they have no way of knowing what the problem is. It may of said 'low compression' but it could be other things. Either way, water in the gas wont cause 6 valves to kick the bucket.

Get far away from a dealer anyway if its not under warranty. They are pro's at charging to much.

By 'dry gas' I take it you mean a water remover or a fuel injector cleaner? Ive never heard of that harming a cat. Ive used valvoline injector cleaner many times with no issues.

As longliberty said, valve springs have been known to break on higher mileage 3.7's.
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

If they just scaned it go to someone else could be head gasket if all intake valves were bad it could be poping out the intake all cyls would be missing water taking out the valves is a new one you can use water to remove the carbon on the valves We use inj cleaner says mopar on the bottle Its really top eng cleaner and we put a additive in the tank did you have sucker stamped on you some where? lol run from them run fast before the crap gets on your shoes
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleStorm View Post
If they just scaned it go to someone else could be head gasket if all intake valves were bad it could be poping out the intake all cyls would be missing water taking out the valves is a new one you can use water to remove the carbon on the valves We use inj cleaner says mopar on the bottle Its really top eng cleaner and we put a additive in the tank did you have sucker stamped on you some where? lol run from them run fast before the crap gets on your shoes
May want to use some periods and commons to spice that up some.
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

na I just run every thing together If I want all that stuff I let my wife type it lol
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.