2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Transmission problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Transmission problems...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Fetter

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Transmission problems...

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and yesterday the Transmission light came on in the dashboard and then a little later there was a whining noise. Now to go along with that it's having issues shifting gears. I'm going to try and take it in tomorrow to get it looked at. I'm fearing bad things. I've checked the tranny fluid and it looks fine. Has anyone ever had this and how much did it cost? I'm not sure if I'm under warranty anymore and I'm scared about the cost because I may not be able to afford it if it gets pricey.

Anyone have any ideas?

Unread 04-14-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
LoneLiberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

04's have a 7 yr./70,000 mi. warranty on drivetrain. Take it in and have it looked at.
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Fetter

Good thing I'm at 73,000... heh. I got it to the dealership this morning. Parked it in a parking spot and went in. They told me to pull it in. Couldn't... didn't want to even find a gear at that point. Thank god I got it there when I did I guess.

$105 just to diagnose it (sucks). I'm scared because I am going to have trouble finding money to pay a high repair bill to fix something like this...
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
jeepjeepster

How many times has the fluid been changed? At 73k it should of been changed at least once if not twice(30k and 60k).

Since you took it to a dealer they will probably say it needs a new tranny and charge you $2k.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Fetter

I don't know about before I got it but I haven't changed it, I don't know all that much about cars. I don't know if that would be it when it just winds and can't find a gear. But again, I don't know anything about cars.
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
jeepjeepster

If they say it needs a new tranny then take it to a independent shop that you trust for another opinion. A dealer will always charge to much.
Unread 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Fetter

Finally got a call back from them. They say it's throwing codes at them and they need to open it up to know what is actually wrong with it. To do that is $500. $2300 for a remanufactured tranny.... $2700 for a new one (those are without labor). If somehow it can just be rebuilt it's $2400 and that's with labor.

I can't afford any of those options.
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetter View Post
Finally got a call back from them. They say it's throwing codes at them and they need to open it up to know what is actually wrong with it. To do that is $500. $2300 for a remanufactured tranny.... $2700 for a new one (those are without labor). If somehow it can just be rebuilt it's $2400 and that's with labor.

I can't afford any of those options.
That sucks...I feel for you man.....$2400 bucks is a lot of money to spend on a repair.

Hopefully it is something in the computer, and you don't need a new tranny.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Jakked

Did you check to see if it would be covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty?

I'm pretty sure many, if not most, of the '04s had a 7/70 pt warranty in addition to the 3/36 b2b.

I know for a fact that not all of them have it, though, because mine doesn't (but it's now covered under a factory extended warranty.).

Otherwise, that's pretty terrible. Sorry
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
Fetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
That sucks...I feel for you man.....$2400 bucks is a lot of money to spend on a repair.

Hopefully it is something in the computer, and you don't need a new tranny.
Sad thing is it could be more depending on what they find.
Unread 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Fetter

Called up AAmco and they are going to tow it to their shop look at it and even check the fluids and to see if there are any clogs as well as put it on the lift and give it a good look and even scan the codes and see what they say for free.

I was talking to the owner of the shop and he said that he just had two customers in there that had their cars towed in from local dealerships (one being where my Jeep is at this moment) and they both came back not needing a new transmission like the dealership said they needed. Let's hope we make it three for three.

I'll update when I have more.
Unread 04-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #12
Fetter

Dropped the car off at Aamco yesterday. They pulled it in first thing this morning. I've been in contact with the owner of the shop and he told me unfortunately there is water in the pan. He said that when water gets in there it eats away at something (I forget what he said it was). The price he quoted me with labor was less than half of what I would've paid at the dealership. He said he gets alot of people that are shocked to see that the dealer is usually double what he charges.
Unread 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Fetter

Sorry for the double post...
Unread 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Fetter

Gave the guy a call back before they closed for an update. He said they had the transmission open and there was no water in there at all which is good. None of the "hard parts" were damaged (gears and stuff I'm guessing). Turns out to be a burnt clutch. Should have it late tomorrow or early Friday.
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
jeepjeepster

I was wondering how the heck water got in the tranny.

Glad its not going to cost so much. Going to a good independent shop is always better(given they do a good job).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.