2004 Jeep Liberty - Rust issues Cont - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 Jeep Liberty - Rust issues Cont

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Anthony-NJ

2004 Jeep Liberty - Rust issues Cont

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update on my rust issue below the center tail light on the roof. If you recall rust was entering through the seal of the tail light and thus rusting from the inside out.

After a year an three quarters, and Contacting a lawyer as i couldn't deal with Jeep 17 in paramus's BS, they finally warrantee'd the rust. I haven't picked up the vehicle yet so i can't say if the rust was removed from the interior of the frame. or if the seal has been replaced. I will have to check on this when i get the vechicle back.

On a side note, they refused to do anything with my electrical system. As i've explained to all of you in the past, i reported the electrical problem to Jeep after 7 months after the rust was seen. What occurs is a few symptoms. While driving at night with the headlights on, My interior lights and exterior lights flash off/on multiple times, usually causing me to either get the finger from some guy in front or have to pull over cause i can't see.

Also my center console component lights (air condition, heat, etc) are semi lit, the left half is out and the right side is lit. There were times during this rust period that the lights would all light up and sometimes all go out. BUt right now its half and half.

I have a feeling this is all interrelated and due to the rust it cause electrial problems. Any suggestions on how to prove this. I will be talking to my lawyer as to our next steps, but wanted to know if anyone has any knowlege where any rust or water that entered through the rear tail light can short out the electric system.

Thx.

Anthony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
jeepjeepster

Sorry about the rust at the brake light. Ive seen some trying to start in that area too.

The A/C controls have lights in them that go bad. Im not sure if you can replace the bulbs but the entire control unit isnt that much $$.

The head lights going out are either the multi-function stalk or the BCM. The multifunction stalk has been known to cause problems like that. Check the fuses too. I had problems with my fog lights going on and off and I figured out the tabs where the fuse go in were getting a bad contact with the fuse causing the fuse to over heat. Bending the tabs back together took care of that.

Some rust around a brake light cannot effect the A/C controls or the headlights.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Anthony-NJ

Interesting

I will doublecheck the Fuses, but i believe it might be BCM. But i've done some research and shorts can cause the BCM to go bad. If wires get wet it can cause shorts, and for all my lights in the entire vehicle to flash, i think its the BCM. DOn't know what that is or where it is but again, I can't seem to rule out that the Moisture that got in to the panels could of caused the shorts which in turn caused the BCM to go bad.

I'm going to bring it to a friend auto mechanic and have him look at the repairs that were made and just see if theres any way this could be true. If so then I just need a written statement from his company to give to my lawyer as evidence.

If not then awe well i'll have to bite the bullet one this one. It just seems to much of a coincidence to not be connected.
Anthony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
nhwalker
2006 KK Liberty 

jeep rust issue

I have a 2006 Liberty with zero rust on the body--except that the roof started to rust (I noticed because it was in the center of the roof where it meets the windshield trim) I took it to be repaired and the shop discovered the roof and crossmembers under the roof were rusting from the inside. The shop told me they have had about 20 Libertys to repair with the same problem. Of course Chrysler refuses to assist ith the repair costs even though they are aware of the problem. A lemon law firm advises to get others with this problem to join in a class action lawsuit.
nhwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
captain78
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhwalker View Post
A lemon law firm advises to get others with this problem to join in a class action lawsuit.
The problem with a class action is the only winners are the lawyers. Chrysler/Jeep may settle for lets say $2 million...first the lawyers get their 33% cut and the rest is split between those involved with the class action.

I once joined a class action and got a whopping $3.00. I spent more on postage mailing forms and info to the lawyers.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
vibound
2005 KK Liberty 

Another Liberty With Roof Leak

Last winter I noticed that our Liberty was dripping water inside under the area of the 3rd brake light. The vehicle was placed in the garage for the winter for storage as we had moved to the Virgin Islands. We just had it shipped to the islands and I noticed that the screws to the 3rd brake light were completely rusted and there is signs of rust under the paint around the light. I saw that you had a similar problem and that Jeep repaired it for you. Was there a recall on this issue or did they give you any documentation stating that it would be repaired at their cost. I'm look for direction as to who I should contact to take care of this issue

Thanks,
Rick
vibound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibound View Post
Last winter I noticed that our Liberty was dripping water inside under the area of the 3rd brake light. The vehicle was placed in the garage for the winter for storage as we had moved to the Virgin Islands. We just had it shipped to the islands and I noticed that the screws to the 3rd brake light were completely rusted and there is signs of rust under the paint around the light. I saw that you had a similar problem and that Jeep repaired it for you. Was there a recall on this issue or did they give you any documentation stating that it would be repaired at their cost. I'm look for direction as to who I should contact to take care of this issue

Thanks,
Rick
Good luck,more so since it's no longer in the US.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
vibound
2005 KK Liberty 

Usa

Hey, we're part of the USA. We're the UNITED STATES Virgin Islands.
vibound is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.