2004 Jeep Liberty Error Codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 Jeep Liberty Error Codes

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
TerryHawk
2004 KJ Liberty 

2004 Jeep Liberty Error Codes

My Jeep Liberty will sometimes have the oil light on the dash come on, I just changed the oil to see if maybe that was the problem, but it wasn't. I turned the Key over three times for it to read out the error codes and it gave me 2.

p0522
p0138

I looked the up and they seemed to both be sensors. Is it bad for the vehicle if I do not change them immediately? Or is there something else about these codes?

Thanks

TerryHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey Terry, Boomer Sooner! Sorry, former okie here so I always give a howdy to the okie members. You have an oxygen sensor code and an oil pressure sensor code. O2 sensor is for Bank 1, sensor 2(B1S2). The O2 sensor you have sets if the sensor reading reads higher than 999mv or 0.999 volts(same value, just different scales) for 2 minutes or more. This frequently happens on these due to a faulty heater in the O2 sensor. If they don't warm up, then they read high for too long. The proper thing is to go underneath the vehicle with a volt meter and verify things are working as they should. Typically they need an oxygen sensor in these cases. NTK(NGK brand), Denso, or the OE sensor is the only ones to use. Do not use Bosch. As for the oil pressure sensor, you either have a very serious oil issue inside the engine, or a faulty oil pressure sender unit. They reside just above the oil filter on the 3.7L. Chances are, if you look at it, it will be covered with oil, and leaking. Replace the thing, but unless you wish to fight replacing the thing multiple times, just run over to the Jeep, or Chrysler dealer and buy a sensor from them. Aftermarket oil sensors are junk for these things. They last 5 minutes at best and stop working. No real cost savings either vs the dealer part. Once done, run by bautozone, play stupid, let them pull your codes and convince them to clear them "just to see if they come back". Head home and smile.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.