2004 Jeep Liberty Cooling Fan not turning on. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 Jeep Liberty Cooling Fan not turning on.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
woobagooba1
2004 KJ Liberty 

2004 Jeep Liberty Cooling Fan not turning on.

My nightmare started about two months ago. First my Jeep over heated and I discovered a crack in the radiator. So I patched it with some epoxy and it was good for about a month. Then I (stupidly) let the Jeep idle on a hot day while pumping gas and it over heated again. I got it home only to find out that the fan is not turning on and the epoxy had melted off the radiator. So I bought a new radiator and installed that. I also bought a new coolant temperature sensor in hopes this would fix the fan not kicking on. I swapped the blower relay with the radiator relay to see if they were good and they do indeed work. I hard wired the fan to the battery to see if the fan was good and it too is also good. My thoughts are the issue is either with the wiring between the fan and the battery or possibly in the computer. I am however not sure if I might be missing something else I should check before giving up and taking it to the garage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

woobagooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
John317

There is a fan/ coolant temp sensor relay that controls the fan mounted low on the inner fender well below the battery. I don't have any pic's but if you google you should be able to find it.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
woobagooba1
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thank you. I was not aware there was another relay for the fan. I will take the battery tray out tonight and see if I can find it.
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
John317

Its closer to the radiator - you don't need to take the tray out. Its a pretty big relay - id say about 3" - some have cooling fins on them. I went through the same thing. Replaced the radiator cause it cracked, noticed it was getting hot. Fan wasnt working - replaced it. Still wasnt working. Replaced the relay mentioned above and that took care of the problem.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Make sure you get the overheat issue fixed asap, you will do damage to the engine. Headgaskets, valve seats, cracked or warped heads, etc. You may have a problem with the fan relay, but you can also still have issues with the fan. If a fan motor is shorted, pulling too much current and cooking the relays, wiring it straight to the battery may let it work. In the end, if the fan is what took out the old relay, you'll burn the new one up soon enough. I recently posted about such electrical issues, and the need to have a volt/ohm meter. If you do not own one yet, and plan to figure out what is wrong with your vehicle, it is an absolute must that you get one. Otherwise, you can expect to throw a lot of money at parts, guessing at what is wrong, versus identifying the problem and fixing it. Even if you don't know a lot about cars, we can usually walk you thru figuring out the problem, but you have to have the basic tools to do so. A digital volt meter is just as important as a set of sockets and wrenches these days.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Cadmandew

Your fan should come on when the AC is on no matter what. As far for the rest I replaced relay first (new relay mounts in a new location so be prepared to drill new holes).. water temp sensor, overflow filler cap, and thermostat second. Finally I replaced the radiator and over heating stopped. Make sure you bleed the air out of the cooling system.
Cadmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
woobagooba1
2004 KJ Liberty 

The only relays for the fan I can find are in the fuse box under the hood. I popped both of them out and had the Jeep idling and then popped the high speed relay in first and the fan did not budge. When I put the low speed relay back in the fan seemed to kick on. I am going to check my fluid levels and make sure once again there is no air in the lines and see if this is resolved or not.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
John317

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/2...ation-1418819/

Google is your friend
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobagooba1 View Post
The only relays for the fan I can find are in the fuse box under the hood. I popped both of them out and had the Jeep idling and then popped the high speed relay in first and the fan did not budge. When I put the low speed relay back in the fan seemed to kick on. I am going to check my fluid levels and make sure once again there is no air in the lines and see if this is resolved or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John317 View Post
Some late build '04's have the newer electrical system in which they use a 2 speed cooling fan and 2 relays in the fuse box only.Basically if you have the 2 speed fan you do not have that relay under the battery tray but 2 relays in the fuse box.
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
woobagooba1
2004 KJ Liberty 

What engine temp should the radiator fan kick on for low and high speed? I got it up to 212 degrees and they still did not kick on.
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
John317

Per a previous post from TJKJ

".The electric cooling fan does not turn on till 219 degrees(+/- a 2 degrees) and if you have the mechanical fan also that clutch does not fully lock till 230 degrees."
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
CO_KJ02
2002 KJ Liberty 

Question about the fan motor. I am having an issue with mine (daughter's first car). After looking around for a while, I cannot find my answer. Should I have 12V @ the connector near the fan shroud? I have replaced my relay, but the fan is not kicking on when the AC is on, or at running temp. I currently have 12V @ the connector, with or without the jeep running. I did not check the reading after the Jeep was cold, I will do so tonight. so I am thinking maybe in my case a bad fan motor? I have not tried to direct wire the fan yet, I ran out of daylight last night. Sorry to the OP for highjacking the tread, but from the looks of it, we have several postings on this topic, one more could be avoided.
CO_KJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
woobagooba1
2004 KJ Liberty 

You can have this thread CO KJ02... I am happy to say my issue is resolved. Thanks for everyone's input. The fan kicked on right around 220 last night while testing.
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
mike94yj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Had the same fan issues with my liberty and cherokee. The liberty fan would not come on. Turned the ac on and pulled the plug. Had power going to the fan but is would not come on. Replaced the fan. Problem fixed. The cherokee in the other hand. The fan would come on but it dragged , the motor was going out. Took mr a while to realize it wasn't spinning as fast as normal. Replaced the fan and problem solved.
mike94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
CO_KJ02
2002 KJ Liberty 

I believe I fixed the issue yesterday. I took the shroud off and indeed the fan was kicking on. With all the shadows I dont believe I could see it kicking on. I ended up doing a flush of the cooling system, and it seems to be doing fine now. A trip to down town Denver and around town seemed to never get past half way on the gauge.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.