2004 jeep liberty Automatic wont turn over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 jeep liberty Automatic wont turn over

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
madrappa

2004 jeep liberty Automatic wont turn over

hello, i have a 2004 jeep liberty, automatic transmission with only 65 000km on it. i bought it in sept. and have had no issues what so ever with it, everything has ran fine.

up until about 2 weeks ago, for some reason i would start the jeep, then 2 seconds later it turns off, for no reason. then i start it again and it runs, so i took it to the dealership that i bought it from, they looked at it, said it was fine, and sent me on my way.

today when i went to go start my jeep and it WONT TURN OVER... just so happens that i am out of town today as well so im really wondering what could be wrong with it. PLEASE HELP ME

to confirm WHAT i've done
- i have power, lights, a/c, wipers all working
- fuel pump makes sound, seems to be working
- no check engine light shows up, dashboard reads everything is fine.
- the key light on dashboard goes off, as to tell me the starter is fine.
- checked fuses and they seem to be fine.

PROBLEM description
- when i turn the key, all i hear is 'tick tick tick tick tick'.
- there is no turn over what so ever.

madrappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

How old is the battery in it? Had a Dodge Stratus do something similar when a cell in the battery burned out. Changed the battery, and she started up fine.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Another thing would be the security chip in the key, and/or the system affiliated with that. But that's beyond my know how. So hopefully someone will get on here if it may be that.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
Another thing would be the security chip in the key, and/or the system affiliated with that. But that's beyond my know how. So hopefully someone will get on here if it may be that.
The key light referred to is actually the SKIS system...the fact that it goes OFF means the PCM is happy with the chip in the key.

@madrappa....You may have an issue with the switches that sense your transmission is in Park or the transfer case is in Neutral....these will stop the Starter Relay...located in the fuse box under the hood...from energizing.

You can try over-ride these sensors...make sure transmission is in Park, remove the Starter relay. Jumper pins 30 and 87 in the relay socket...the engine should turn over and if the ignition is ON it should start unless there is some other problem.

If this works, try swapping the Starter relay with an identical one next to it in the relay box.

If it does not work then your battery is flat, battery connections are dirty and not tight, negative strap going to chassis is not clean and tight or the grounding strap going from engine to chassis is not clean and tight.

If all the above things are in order and the starter solenoid "clicks" but starter does not turn over then you may have a bad solenoid or a bad starter motor.

There is a common problem of the actuator that operates the starter switch has a habit of breaking...it can turn ON the cluster lights etc. but cannot operate the switch in the Start position. You should feel a spring pressure on the key when you try to Start..if not then the actuator is definitely broken.

You get access to the ignition switch by removing the plastic covers over the steering column...two Torx screws.

The remove the Smaller Torx screw that holds the switch in place.... newer KJs need a security male Torx with a hole down the centre.

Pull off the ignition switch, check if the actuator is broken....you can start the engine by turning the ignition switch with a flat screwdriver while the key is in the ignition...to enable SKIS and to unlock the steering.
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
JeepCoMJ
2002 MJ Comanche 

clicking like that is telling me that you have power to the starter, power to the ignition.

Your previous experiences make me think that there is corrosion on the starter wire connections, or that the starter itself is bad.

take a hammer, and, holding the head of the hammer, slide the handle up from the bottom towards the starter and start tapping it. I say this way because there's not enough room to fit the hammer in the right way with a 4x4 liberty.

Tapping it may get the motor to "free up" or rather, to turn the armature just enough to get it past it's magnetic dead spot and to a point that it will engage.

If doing this works, plan on replacing the starter, and make sure you clean up the cables when you do.

Of course, make sure the battery isn't dead.

As far as the SKIM (Security Key Interlock Module) goes, it is designed to shut the motor off after either 2 or 3 seconds if a non-coded key, or a coded but not programmed key is used to start it. It will not prevent you from actually starting the vehicle, but rather from keeping it running.
JeepCoMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
madrappa

wow you guys are great! I got my jeep running, it was a loose wire to the battery, I took them off and then cleaned it and put them back on, it starts fine now! BUT I still notice the key light will blink as to not to start, it sounds like it is the code in the keys. I will have to get that checked. When I get the codes checked I will post on hear what is found. THANK YOU ALL so MUCH! It's great to be able to come on here and get great answers from you all.

@JeepcomJ what you are discribing with the SKIM... that is exactly what is happening, so I'm pretty sure you're dead on. Thanks again!

Should I take it to a Dealership to get the codes checked?
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
madrappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
How old is the battery in it? Had a Dodge Stratus do something similar when a cell in the battery burned out. Changed the battery, and she started up fine.
Battery is brand new pretty much, was new when I bought it in Sept.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.