2004 EVIC /Console Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2004 EVIC /Console Questions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

2004 EVIC /Console Questions

I purchased a Stock 2004 Sport Edition I am considering adding the overhead console/EVIC to it, anyone done this one a 2004 and gotten it to work? if so can you provide some insight on who, what, where and why ?

My Liberty has the Stock keyless entry so from what I understand it has the right computer to run the it.

1. Do I need to run wires or is there already a plug up in the headliner for it. if not can I get that part of the wireing hardness or do I need to hack something together?

belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
hyedipin

I am really amused by how many people purchase the car as one edition and try to fix into into another. Like those of us with LTD trying to get Lightbar, or those with sport trying to get EVIC..

Wasn't there an option when you bought your jeep for EVIC?

I believe there were a lot of topics with how to install EVIC, try to search again.

Good Luck
hyedipin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

I can't speak for everyone, I can only speak for my self, I purchased a 2004 Jeep liberty Sport with the 5sp 3.7 4x4 for ~18k well with in my budget to get a limited or renegade would have cost 4 -6k more and I really don't need 200 way adjustable heated seats or chrome brick-a-brack I just want a few of the items that to me are not worth 6 k for, basicly all I want is the renegade higher output alt, the cc, EVIC, and 17" wheels its far cheaper to add them myself then to have purchased the limited or renegade edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin
I am really amused by how many people
purchase the car as one edition and try to fix into into another. Like those of us with LTD trying to get Lightbar, or those with sport trying to get EVIC..

I believe there were a lot of topics with how to install EVIC, try to search again.

Good Luck
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
SpiffBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by belezeeubub
I can't speak for everyone, I can only speak for my self, I purchased a 2004 Jeep liberty Sport with the 5sp 3.7 4x4 for ~18k well with in my budget to get a limited or renegade would have cost 4 -6k more and I really don't need 200 way adjustable heated seats or chrome brick-a-brack I just want a few of the items that to me are not worth 6 k for, basicly all I want is the renegade higher output alt, the cc, EVIC, and 17" wheels its far cheaper to add them myself then to have purchased the limited or renegade edition.
That's exactly why I got my sport instead of a rene.

I'm now looking into installing a EVIC too, but I'm installing it to turn off that anoying headlight delay thing. Had I known that I needed an EVIC to fix the headlights, I probibly would have optioned it (Hell, if I even knew about the headlight thing before I bought the libby)

From what I've read up on, all the wires should be there... it's almost a plug and pray instalation. (Take this with a grain of salt. I'm still researching it too)
SpiffBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
4Factor

Quote:
I am really amused by how many people purchase the car as one edition and try to fix into into another. Like those of us with LTD trying to get Lightbar, or those with sport trying to get EVIC..

Good Luck
Remember, this forum wouldn't be here if it wasn't for people modding their rides. Even simple things that you could've ordered from the factory constitute as a "mod", and it keep the forum alive.
I realize I pay WAY too much a month for my Liberty because I wanted the factory to install all the "mods" for me. Yeah sure I can sit back and enjoy them all at once but I'll be paying for them for the next... forever! Not everybody will want the same things so I can definitely see the benefit of "doing it yourself" for those little things they do want, it makes their Jeep that much more "theirs".
4Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Diver012

From what I understand, the wiring harness for the EVIC is NOT there. That will have to be purchased from the dealership, unless you can find an EVIC on EBAY that includes the harness. The wiring for the Temp sensor is there however. All you need to do is purchase the sensor.

Also, I do believe that there is a bug on some models of the EVIC, I have read that the Temp Sensor does not work on some of the models. I do not know the details of this but if you search these forums, im sure you can find out more information.

Just search for EVIC.
Diver012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
spoon

The EVIC install

Ok Ive done it and here is the scoop. If you have an 04 Liberty you will need an 04 EVIC. I have seen you can get an otis from an 04 ram but I have not tried that myself so I wont say it will work, but it just might. You will NOT have to buy the temp sensor because all 04s will have them. Look at the top center inside your grill and you will see it. The wireing harness is NOT there. I happened to get a wireing harness when I tried my first console, an 02 liberty otis. It worked except for the temp. If you get a harness great but you will have to run the harness to the left rear of your liberty and plug it in there. If you dont get a harness its no big deal as long as when you buy your EVIC you get the plug that goes into the console wit a few inches of wire to splice to. I found a great web page that tells you how to do it, its been around awhille so Im sure alot of you have seen it. The only thing misleading about it is the fact about the change in the 04 Liberty and the temp problem. It is as simple as splicing 4 wires and running them down the A pillar and splicing again behind the data link connector.

Here is the page http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsalbre/jeep/evic/

If you have any other questions I will try and help. At least I was able to sell my 3 mistake consoles on ebay and actually make a buck. Spoon

P.S.
Dont forget if you end up with an evic with the TPSI you will have to buy the tire sensors for about $150 bucks and whatever price you can get to install them in the tire.. But it is still way cheaper than getting it from the dealer. And as for not just buying the feature I agree everyone should do what they want to make their Libby look origional and the way you want it. I wanted the Columbia Edition but had to settle for what was on the lot because they stopped making them so why shouldnt I put on a light bar aftermarket if I want one?
Added items: RB-1 Navigation System, EVIC w/ TPSI, Light bar, Premium mud flaps, Rubber jeep floormats, Slide in ventshades, Auto dimming mirror, Sirius w/fm mod, Front tow hooks, Front window tint, K & N air filter, Clear bug deflector painted silver
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
roderunner

I concur with Spoon but would like to add a couple of clarifications.

Any qualifying overhead console works with the 04 Liberty. You just will not get the ambient temp. reading. (the 03 and older Liberty's may not have this issue) I use one from an 02 Grand Cherokee in my 04 Liberty and it works great. Although I don't get ambient temp, I do get Instant MPG, whigh the new ones no longer have. I get a lot of use out of that feature; all of them have it through 2002. Everything else is the same.

The wireing harness is easy to make up as long as you get a conector with pigtail that plugs into the module portion of the console. It runs down the 'A' piller to the instrument cluster area, as per the directions in Spoon's URL.

The EVIC is similar to the OTIS, but has a lot more features. It has more programming oprions and gives you messages; the OTIS cannot do that because of the way the display is constructed. The web site shows you how to tell them apart. Either one will work, however.
roderunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2004, 07:15 AM   #9
Renegade04

Hydepin if thats the case why didnt you get your Liberty with the RB1 radio installed instead of asking here about adding it...Or the silver Limited trim....
Alot of us didnt get all the options we wanted cause we couldnt wait 1-2 months for a custom order. So we had to accept whats on the dealer lot and add the things we really want later.
Also half the fun is modding your Jeep, for me its my escape from work/problems to be able to wrench on my vehicles for a while. This site wouldnt exist if it wasnt for enthusiests like you and me who cant leave things alone ......
Unread 08-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #10
Diver012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade04
Hydepin if thats the case why didnt you get your Liberty with the RB1 radio installed instead of asking here about adding it...Or the silver Limited trim....
Alot of us didnt get all the options we wanted cause we couldnt wait 1-2 months for a custom order. So we had to accept whats on the dealer lot and add the things we really want later.
Also half the fun is modding your Jeep, for me its my escape from work/problems to be able to wrench on my vehicles for a while. This site wouldnt exist if it wasnt for enthusiests like you and me who cant leave things alone ......
I totally agree with you there. I purchased an EVIC for my Renegade and ruined it. Wasted $50.00 but ya know what, I learned something which is never a waste of time or money and I love modding my vehicle. Next time I find a compatible EVIC I know to get the wiring harness for it instead of trying solder the connections on it myself.. lol.

Future Mods I plan on:

Silver Trim upgrade
Another EVIC installation attempt
Cold Air Intake System
Diver012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
hyedipin

I guess you guys are totally missing my point.. I am with you %100 on modding your vehicle, but getting something you could have gotten at the time you bought your Jeep.. that's another story.

As for the RB1, nowhere around NY or Tri-state area, not one Liberty came with RB1, let alone Liberty, only Cherokee coming with RB1 was the Overland (could not spend 42k) so I got the very next (probably better) thing 6CD In-Dash player..

I have LTD '04 like I mentioned, I have the silver accent and wheel mounted controls and PSI monitor and every teeny tiny option I could get on my LTD.

I totally support those wanting mod their jeeps, but like i told you, adding an evic is not modding, lifting the libby and using goodrich tires with huge threads & switching the bumper to bullbar, etc. etc. etc.. is modding. I'd rather spend my time on those than getting a sport into an LTD or Renegade.

I guess you didn't see the site on my signature, if I was against modding jeeps I wouldn't bother putting projects together.
Unread 08-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #12
Renegade04

Modding comes from the word modify. heres the meaning of the word modify as per a dictionary.

mod·i·fy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (md-f)
v. mod·i·fied, mod·i·fy·ing, mod·i·fies
v. tr.
To change in form or character; alter.
To make less extreme, severe, or strong: refused to modify her stand on the issue.
Grammar. To qualify or limit the meaning of. For example, summer modifies day in the phrase a summer day.
Linguistics. To change (a vowel) by umlaut.

v. intr.
To be or become modified; change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English modifien, from Old French modifier, from Latin modificre, to measure, limit : modus, measure; see med- in Indo-European Roots + -ficre, -fy.]

Any change done you your vehicle constitutes modifying/modding your Jeep. Be it a lift,repl wheels or installing a EVIC that did not come in your Jeep at time of delivery......
BTW just as evry other option on your Liberty was avail the RB1 was also available as an option.....
Im trying to understand how adding a EVIC can be taken as trying to make your Jeep a Limited... Its a useful item that has many benefits to have....
Not trying to be a D!*k just trying just expressing my opinion.....
Unread 08-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
4Factor

Quote:
As for the RB1, nowhere around NY or Tri-state area, not one Liberty came with RB1, let alone Liberty, only Cherokee coming with RB1 was the Overland (could not spend 42k) so I got the very next (probably better) thing 6CD In-Dash player..

I totally support those wanting mod their jeeps, but like i told you, adding an evic is not modding, lifting the libby and using goodrich tires with huge threads & switching the bumper to bullbar, etc. etc. etc.. is modding. I'd rather spend my time on those than getting a sport into an LTD or Renegade.
This is how your thinking comes across, and I assume I'm not the only one who made the same interpretation. I'm pretty sure it's not what you're intending, so I'll post what I interpret it as so we'll hopefully keep it clear. I'm not flaming you or trying to get under your skin, I'm just clarifying things before this discussion turns bad.

The last part of your post you say "adding an EVIC unit is not modding, lifting the libby and using goodrich tires..." which comes across with the impression that you think ONLY parts that aren't Mopar parts are considered mods. Then you talk about adding an RB1 unit to your Liberty and you consider it a mod (and it's a part you can get through the dealership... Mopar part). So it doesn't jive with the previous thinking that you think Mopar parts aren't mods.

I take the standpoint that if the vehicle wasn't delivered with the said part already installed, then it's a mod. It may not be the mod me or you would've chosen but it is a mod in the true definition of the word mod (don't lose sight that "mod" is short for "modification").

My first "mod" was to add front tow hooks to my 04 Liberty. I thought got them with the vehicle, but it got missed on the order sheet, so now I have officially modded my Jeep!
4Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #14
hyedipin

I really am in no place to defend MOD or Modification or Modified Jeeps or any word that is in dictionary for that matter.

Every option could be available if you are willing to wait for your Jeep.. But from where I was adopting mine, they had this one available, on sunday at 3pm, I stopped by, paid and signed and drove away with my Jeep.

Is it modding if you change the washer fluid or the wipers? Modification of a car is pretty different than modification of anything else.
Unread 08-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #15
spoon

mODIFY

Let me say it again, I wanted the Columbia Edition and had to settle for what was on the lot. Now I am just adding the options I wanted. I am not trying to make it into a limited, just trying to make it original. I like the feature of the EVIC so I got it. I hate the Renegade fender flares and roof rack but like the light bar, so I put it on. I like the look of the tow hooks so I added them as well. If you dont want to call that modifying than fine, I will call it adding options that werent available to me. I had fun doing it and saved $$$$$.

And you are correct that changing your wipers or adding fluid is not modifying due to the fact they were already there.
Added items: RB-1 Navigation System, EVIC w/ TPSI, Light bar, Premium mud flaps, Rubber jeep floormats, Slide in ventshades, Auto dimming mirror, Sirius w/fm mod, Front tow hooks, Front window tint, K & N air filter, Clear bug deflector painted silver
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.