2003 valve issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 valve issues

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Michael_45623
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 valve issues

I hope you guys can help me. I have a 2003 Jeep liberty limited with a 3.7 V6 I recently changed head gaskets. unfortunately the timing was off. When I started it up i think it bent some valves because ive lost compression on a couple cylinders. my question is has anyone ever had this happen? If so did you replace the valves and the engine was ok? I was told that if it bent the valves and you put it back together with new valves they have the tendancy to start knocking after a few hundred miles. Ive thought about replacing the engine but as Ive found out they are not a lot of them out there and a new one is $4,000.00 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Michael_45623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

I guess it depends on the severity of the damage. If the valves are bent badly enough, they could damage the seats and lifters. If that's the case you'd probably have to get new lifters and valves and have the valve seats re-ground. New lifters usually means a new cam which usually means a new timing chain. I've always been under the notion that if they wear together, they should be replaced together. I don't see why you would need a new engine, though. Unless the damage is really bad, such as a cracked cylinder or something.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Michael_45623
2003 KJ Liberty 

When i put it back together i turned the engine over several time and everything seemed to be turning freely but when i started it it missed terrible. checked the compression an no compression on 2 cylinders. The engine ran fine before no misses and smooth idle, it was just steaming bad from the exaust and when the oil was changed there was water in the oil. it has 139,000 miles, but it was still strong before the head gasket replacement. where would be the best place to get a set of valves and how much do they usually run?
Unread 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
rfross
2006 KJ Liberty 

If you turned the engine over and everything was turning freely then the valves probably did not contact the piston tops. But with the timing off the valves could remain open at the top of the compression stroke which would cause low or non-existent compression pressure. Make sure that your cam sprockets are aligned correctly to the timing marks and give it another shot. I just can't imagine that under the scenario that you painted only two of the six cylinders could have bent valves and the other four would be fine. I'd think that it would be an all or nothing kind of thing.
rfross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

It sounds like if you're getting water in the oil and exhaust that the damage may be a little more extensive than initially thought Of course, it could just me moisture from sitting but if the moisture on the oil cap tastes sweet then you've got some coolant leaking in there from somewhere.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Michael_45623
2003 KJ Liberty 

After further investigating ive decided to install another engine. I got one from jasper and it should be here Wednesday. hopefully ill get it installed this weekend.
Unread 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
jstick911

Hey bro how much did you pay at jasper. I got one for my 02 for $2600.00.

I also have a thread I started for the motor swap I did. May help you out in some spots. I'm on my phone so I can't post a link but if you search "how to change out a motor on an 02 liberty" you should be able to find it.

It's a pain in the butt btw. Lol. Have fun and let me know if I can help!!

Jstick911
jstick911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Michael_45623
2003 KJ Liberty 

I got it for $2,685.00 Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I'll be back on the road mext weekend!! Thanks everyone for the replies and help, hopefully ill get some more mods in the works after I get her back on the road!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.