2003 trouble after head gasket replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 trouble after head gasket replace

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
kyoshosp2

2003 trouble after head gasket replace

Need some help here.. My 2003 3.7 was boiling the coolant out the jug.. Was dripping oil all over the exhaust. I looked like a valve cover leak and I thought the thermostat was bad. So I replaced both... Well it was still overheating .. I was told maybe the head gasket popped ... I replaced them both and new bolts... When it came to re timing the engine it slipped off the lower gear and I put it back .. After rolling over with a ratchet the dots on the cam sprockets and chains lined up . So back together it went ...

It started right up and no metal contact noises .)) but 20 minutes later it's running rough and won't accelerate if given more than half throttle... And it's still boiling the coolant out just not as bad ... When driving the engine light flashes too . Pulled codes for cyl 4 and 6 miss fire and multiple cyl misfire. And a evap leak ... I fixed the leak but it still stumbles .. Shutters when start up now too ... Also started decel when driving and if u go full throttle it almost dies.... Wtf ..... Lol if it was timed wrong it wouldn't ran smooth for 20 min??? I'm at a loss here ... So it drives like poo and still boiling coolant over . Any ideas guys ???

kyoshosp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
kyoshosp2

Anybody?? Is there another place I should be looking for answers ?
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

You didnt mention anything about having the heads checked. That should of been a must do with the problems you experienced before hand. Without being right there when you had it torn down, I cant attest to how good the tensioner and shoes were for the timing chain. If any of that was questionable, it may have let go too. Time for a CO test or aka engine block test, and if the magic blue dye turns colors as described in the tool instructions, you get to pull the heads off again and send them to a shop to have them checked over.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
kyoshosp2

I have wkd on fords and a lot is the same .. Guides chains were great . No I didn't deck the heads... But why would it run for almost 30 min perfect the. Start miss fires?
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Didnt say deck them, said have them checked, cracks, twisting, etc. Other things to consider, if you were blowing steam out the tailpipe before you did the work, coolant contaminates O2 sensors like nobody's business. Boiling coolant still, after you did the head pull may be a warning indicator. Running the correct coolant in the jeep, in the right mix?
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
kyoshosp2

I'm running a pre mix 50/50 . And was never blowing steam out.. Still isn't. Looked like it was blowing oil out the back .. And overheating.. Radiator looked clean, new water pump, new T stat... So dealer said only thing to cause to boil over was head gasket ... Plus upon rebuild I saw little milky oil in the pan .
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Make sure you are running a 50/50 mix of HOAT coolant then. Was all of this happening before the new t-stat and water pump? If so, I would get a block tester kit and see if that is your source for the boiling.
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
kyoshosp2

Yep... So I tried those and still didn't help .. Funny the temp gauge never came off the middle when it would do it .. It pisses out of a hole on the back of the jug ...

I'm going to replace the plugs as when I pulled the coils few had water on them and may have fouled the plugs out.. Forgot to check them after a good degreasing ...

Also when I degreaser the bottom of the motor and sprayed it off from the bottom it wouldn't start for 2 hours lol . Not sure what got wet. But I unplugged sensors and blew them out after .. This thing driving me nuts ... Because it started and ran perfect for 30 min and 20 or so miles... So I'm wondering what coulda happened all of a sudden . How do I find out where all the grounds are to check .
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
kyoshosp2

Do I need do a crank relearn process? If so how do u do it on a jeep

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.