2003 Liberty Radiator replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 Liberty Radiator replacement

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
panamanian33

2003 Liberty Radiator replacement

Hello everyone, my mechanic told me last week that I need to replace the radiator. It has a leak on top of it. I read the service manual but I don't seem to get it off all the way. I had followed all the steps listed below but number 12. I don't understand it. Do I need to push it up and then out or just out towards the engine.

(4) Remove the cooling fan from the engine, if
equipped.
(5) Remove the two radiator mounting bolts.
(6) Disconnect both transmission cooler lines from
radiator.
(7) Disconnect the connector for the electric fan.
(8) Disconnect the power steering cooler line from
cooler.
(9) Disconnect the radiator upper and lower hoses.
(10) Disconnect the overflow hose from radiator.
(11) The lower part of radiator is equipped with
two alignment dowel pins (Fig. 18). They are located
on the bottom of radiator tank and fit into rubber
grommets. These rubber grommets are pressed into
the radiator lower crossmember.

Also, can you guys tell me where I can get a good radiator on the Web.

Thanks,

Alex

panamanian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Libertas

Did you remove the A/C condensor from the radiator or are you removing them as a unit? If so, you'd have to undo the condensor lines first.
Libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

did you unbolt the top plate from the jeep? the one that the hood latches into? i had my radiator replaced thrusday because i needed it done in a certain amount of time versus me doing ti because i had other things to do (golf tourney) and they removed that top plate first
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the one in my KJ about 2 weeks ago. I got it from autozone but had to get new hoses from advance auto parts.

Getting the old one out is not easy. Some things I noticed that you didn't mention that you removed are the grill and grill support. You also need to unbolt the AC system, and I had to pull the condenser up and out of the way, but it flexed enough at the rubber hose parts that it wasn't a big deal. The hardest part I had was the rubber support piece didn't want to let go. I had to pull up then back towards the engine and pried the rubber off the lower tabs.

The good news is that it goes together easier then it comes out. The best places to get on line is usually www.rockauto.com
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.