2003 liberty overheating issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 liberty overheating issue

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
edge2k

2003 liberty overheating issue

Hello, new to the jeep forums obviously.. but today I was going for a short trip with family in their 03 jeep liberty 4cyl 2wd, and it overheated, there has been an overheating problem since it was bought, the last time it was in the garage the thermostat was replaced, the cooling system flushed and it seemed to be ok for a while, at least until today after some slow neighborhood driving.

In the parking lot where we stopped to let the engine cool after it overheated I swapped the 40amp blower fuse with the 40 amp fan fuse, the blower still was working but the fan still no, so the fuses were both in working order.

I noticed the radiator fan never seemed to come on and after we were home and parked I tested it with a volt meter and never had power coming out of the fan connector, I ran some jumper wires directly to the battery and to the fan side pins in the connector, and the fan never turned on either.

Since the fan itself wasn't working, but I also never had any power coming out of the fan connector, could it just be by coincidence they both have went bad?

On a side note i released the belt tension and physically spun the water pump shaft and it spins freely and doesn't feel like its loose or anything, so i don't think it's related to that.

If anybody could give some helpful insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

edge2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
BIGBIRD04
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 liberty overheating

hello im having a similar issue. my jeep liberty just started acting up last week. it has 80000 miles on it and in great shape. i changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator. still overheating! i did notice though that if the a/c is off i have no problems! I drove it yesterday for 2 hours and no problems i turned on the a/c and immediately it went straight to hot! Anyone have any ideas! I also noticed that the clutch on the a/c compressor was slipping! Could a bad a/c compressor cause the jeep to overheat? could it be the engine coolant temp sensor? Btw the fan is running!

To your problem though if the waterpump was bad u would know it would be making a horrible noise! the bearings would be screaming! The fan not running would be the cause of the problem though! if you get ur fan running i would think the the problem would go away! as soon as you turn the a/c on the fan should start running! Hope that sheds some light on this for u!
BIGBIRD04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Jeeplibltd

Hello I'm having the same problem with my 2002 jeep liberty ltd. One day was driving to work and out of nowhere the thermostat shot to the H. During the time my air was still working and there was no smoke until I parked. Once I parked, the smoke came and what looked like coolant all flushed out the bottom of it. Yesterday I went out and bought a new radiator cap from the advice of a local mechanic and tried that but it still didn't work. There seems to be some leakage from the radiator which causes it to overheat I'm assuming. I took it up to a mechanic to get looked at and they concluded that I need a thermostat and a new radiator, before I fork out all of that money I want to make sure there is no other alternative to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeeplibltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplibltd View Post
Hello I'm having the same problem with my 2002 jeep liberty ltd. One day was driving to work and out of nowhere the thermostat shot to the H. During the time my air was still working and there was no smoke until I parked. Once I parked, the smoke came and what looked like coolant all flushed out the bottom of it. Yesterday I went out and bought a new radiator cap from the advice of a local mechanic and tried that but it still didn't work. There seems to be some leakage from the radiator which causes it to overheat I'm assuming. I took it up to a mechanic to get looked at and they concluded that I need a thermostat and a new radiator, before I fork out all of that money I want to make sure there is no other alternative to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for your help!
The radiators on the Liberty are known to crack in the upper corner on the driver's (left) side. Your rad is probably shot and needs replaced - Liberty rads are not repairable (the tanks on the side are plastic... )

I replaced the rad on my '03 with a new one from RockAuto.com for $120 shipped. A new thermostat is $12, new radiator hoses are $28, antifreeze $12...So for $175-ish you can replace the radiator, thermostat, hoses and antifreeze - and it is a relatively easy job. Your '02 will require a little more work as the transmission cooler lines run into the radiator but still not a big deal.

My 2 cents...

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Jeeplibltd

Thank you! I've put it in the shop to have radiator replaced. Hope it doesn't happen too often!
Jeeplibltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
BIGBIRD04
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 liberty overheating

I have replaced the thermostat, fan relay, engine coolant temperature sensor, and flushed the rad! still overheating what do I do? Where could i get a wiring diagram for a 2003 jeep liberty sport. i need to hot wire the fan to see if my problem goes away. Thanks for all your help.
BIGBIRD04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
sueness86
2003 KJ Liberty 

After completely overhauling damn near the while cooling system on my 03 liberty, I had done over heating issues again about 3 days ago. Completely stumped seeing as to how the rad was replaced (due to a crack in the plastic chamber on the upper driver side corner...imagine that), then the water pump, lower rad hose, thermostat, and then shortly after the fan relay. After rolling through the forum and checking out all the possible options, my issue turned out to be the connection to the fan on the passenger side. When it was played played with and wiggled you could see the fan speed changing from low to high. The fact that it came on at all was a relief. Instead of trying to rewire anything anything, I just used an electrical component cleaner to get her cleaned up a but, since there didn't seem to be any melted wiring. And followed up with a dielectric grease. Fired her up, and thankfully ask systems were a go. So on that, so far so good. Hopefully that'll be the end of my fan issues.
sueness86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Nobdyfrmnwhere
2003 KJ Liberty 

Overheating

Replace the water pump, even if it is new! The impeller may be slipping or have vanes broken and worn off. Some of these are pressed on and don't last very long.
I've had overheating problems. I had replaced the fuel pump a year earlier one Sunday in California while on vacation on the way to Sea World, as it gave up the ghost, steam rising, and it drained glycol out at the stoplight near the seashore. No Mechanics near or open, I walked until I found an auto parts store open and paid extra to have the pump delivered that day, so then we rented a car from a Fly-by-Night outfit nearby, and went to sea world for the day while the part was being delivered, and this is where the car alternator broke off. UGH and UGH again. The Maintenance crew was helpful as they had a metric bolt that fit, and with borrowed tools I remounted the alternator, got a jump and returned it to the idiot car rental, who would not send a wrecker or repairman. Boy, read the small print in the contract or you will pay for the tow. I replaced the water pump by flashlight in the dark of the parking lot with cheap Chinese tools I bought with the pump, bought just before they closed. My wife and daughter went to dinner while I drooled on the flashlight in my mouth.
Well, AGAIN I had overheating problems every time we went somewhere, in a stop and go or highway mode, you could watch the temperature rising. I replaced the thermostat, the sensors that are associated, that wasn't very convenient, and then scratched my head and decided to remove the pump expecting to find a stoppage somewhere. I could feel the bottom of the radiator was cool and the top very hot. It meant there was not adequate circulation. Upon removing the one year old water pump I found the impeller had come off and was spinning on occasion, when it felt like it I guess. A new water pump and the problem was solved.
Nobdyfrmnwhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.