2003 Liberty Limited overheats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 Liberty Limited overheats

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
tulsabanshee
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 Liberty Limited overheats

our liberty seems to be overheating when we aren't moving along. we were on a trip and everything worked as long as we were moving. when we get stopped, you can smell the a/c air starts smelling, gets warmer, and tghen the temp guage starts going up. we put in a new electric fan.
any help would be great. we actually overheated on the highway when traffic slowed way down due to a wreck!!

tulsabanshee

tulsabanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

radiator...common in these. might want to check your heater core as well if you are smelling antifreeze in the cabin.
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Whiskey7
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had the same problem with my 02. We ended up changing the Fan relay. I took it back a few times. The relay did help for about a year until we changed the thermostat and radiator.
Whiskey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
tulsabanshee
2003 KJ Liberty 

found the prob

last time i checked with my meter and had voltage on the relay side of the fan plug. so i assumed it was the fan. since it was under warranty, i took it back and got a new one.
well, the new one didn't last long either. so this time i actually did some troubleshooting.
i took the relay out and checked it... power on the coil side, relay closed. no power, relay opened. relay checked good.
so on to the fan. i hot wired the fan straight to the battery and that baby spun right up. soooo, the fan was good.
now i took a good look at the relay side of the plug to check it for voltage again. WOWWWW!!! it was melted inside. i couldn't even get my probe inside to check for voltage. i skinned a little insulation off the wires and clipped my probes on there. started the car and turned on the a/c. and i had power!!
turns out i think it's a problem with the plug. after doing some more checking on here, i found another post about the exact same thing and a fix which is the same as i'm going to do.
thanks for the help and i hope this helps someone else out in the future.

one note of warning though... this little motor seems to draw a lot of power. i didn't check the amp draw but those wires do seem to get awfully hot!! so if you replace the factory plug with other type fittings, be sure and use ones large enough and a good quality(you know, not the harbor freight ones).
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
barveld

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabanshee View Post
last time i checked with my meter and had voltage on the relay side of the fan plug. so i assumed it was the fan. since it was under warranty, i took it back and got a new one.
well, the new one didn't last long either. so this time i actually did some troubleshooting.
i took the relay out and checked it... power on the coil side, relay closed. no power, relay opened. relay checked good.
so on to the fan. i hot wired the fan straight to the battery and that baby spun right up. soooo, the fan was good.
now i took a good look at the relay side of the plug to check it for voltage again. WOWWWW!!! it was melted inside. i couldn't even get my probe inside to check for voltage. i skinned a little insulation off the wires and clipped my probes on there. started the car and turned on the a/c. and i had power!!
turns out i think it's a problem with the plug. after doing some more checking on here, i found another post about the exact same thing and a fix which is the same as i'm going to do.
thanks for the help and i hope this helps someone else out in the future.

one note of warning though... this little motor seems to draw a lot of power. i didn't check the amp draw but those wires dose seem to get awfully hot!! so if you replace the factory plug with other type fittings, be sure and use ones large enough and a good quality(you know, not the harbor freight ones).
Wich plug is it? The one mounted to the top of the rad fan? Do you have a link to the the other post with the fix?
barveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
tulsabanshee
2003 KJ Liberty 

sorry, i don't have a link to the other post. i found it listed within the first couple of pages on the KJ Liberty forum page. the plug is the one on top of the radiator fan. the end that is connected to the auto was badly melted on the inside and the NEW fan plug was starting to melt also. all i can think of is that the connectors weren't making good contact and were shorting creating arcing and heat.
i cut both plugs off and used spade bits to fix. shrink tubing and electrical tape should keep a good water tight connection. and the spade connectors were a tight fit. ran the fan for a while and didn't notice any indication of the wires getting hot. of course the fan wires do get warm, but they are in the hot air flow from the fan.
good luck and hope some of this will help
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
barveld

Alright mine is not melted. Before I order a new fan: am I correct to assume that the fan is bad if I have power at the relay side of that plug?? The fuse and both relays in the box check out.

Last edited by barveld; 07-23-2010 at 08:38 AM..
barveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
dundeetom00
2003 KJ Liberty 

Over heating solved ?

We have a 2003 jeep liberty 6 cyl. 3.7L w/one fan that was over heating and I researched all the answers to others with similar.
I replaced the radiator because of a pin hole leak and changed thermistat.
No help.
Water pump is working, heat and circulation is good.
Fan was running after install of parts listed above (didn't realize how slow).
Over heated in stop and go traffic again.
Took apart fan motor electric connection at the shroud, started the engine, 0 volts, engine got to 100 deg., I got 5.6 volts, remade the connection, fan did not run.
Hot wired the fan to the battery, the fan ran fast and strong. BINGO!!!!
Could not find reference to the proper relay, buy luck I removed the blower motor relay, the voltage went to zero. There is an exact match next to it, turned the engine off, swapped it and the voltage went to 12.6, BINGO!!!
BAD BLOWER RELAY !!!!!
Chrysler/Jeep part #4727370AA (old #56006709)
Thats my fix, hope it helps you.
Good Luck!!!
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=47273...8,r:1,s:0,i:84

Last edited by dundeetom00; 09-27-2013 at 02:22 PM..
dundeetom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - Welcome to JF -

Good catch. You really don't want to be over heating a 3.7.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kj , liberty , overheat , idle , moving

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.