2003 Liberty Air Conditioning Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 Liberty Air Conditioning Issues

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
jlillich
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 Liberty Air Conditioning Issues

Hi everyone,

So, we've had our Liberty for several years now. We've had the transfer case replaced and not much else had gone wrong with it until... the air conditioning went out!

So here's the deal: the A/C will run for a little while before going out. When it goes out, it continues to blow, but the air is like vented air (pretty hot right now). We've been told that the Evaporator core needs to be replaced, but they haven't tested that for leaks. The same shop also told us that the condensor should be replaced.

My father in law said it could be that the fuse controlling the air system are overheating...

I've noticed that turning the air off completely, not just turning it to vent, will allow the system to "rest" and will give some cool air when it's turned back on.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience, knows what it is, or has any mechanical idea of what I can do to fix it? I've been looking at the service/repair manual but not being a mechanic myself is a bit of a discouragement.

Thanks!

jlillich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Same post, this one which more details.

Quote:
We've been told that the Evaporator core needs to be replaced, but they haven't tested that for leaks.
I would ask them for a good reason why this needs to be replaced???? If there is a leak, you loose your refrigerant. It's gone, it doesn't magically come back.

Quote:
The same shop also told us that the condensor should be replaced.
Now the condensor needs to the replaced at the same time?? Why that? BIG red flag.

Quote:
My father in law said it could be that the fuse controlling the air system are overheating...
When a fuse goes out it's a one time deal, it doesn't come back to life. However, I could see the relay to the AC compressor possibly overheat and go haywire, til it cools down. Swap the AC comp relay with another relay the same size (they're exactly the same) to rule that out.

Quote:
I've noticed that turning the air off completely, not just turning it to vent, will allow the system to "rest" and will give some cool air when it's turned back on.
Again, the most likely cause is the e-fan not kicking in. When the refrigerant goes to the condensor, it has to cool down to go back to liquid phase. That's when the fan runs that fresh air and cools your system. If your fan doesn't run, the refrigerant will stay warm and it won't do its job.

If the e-fan's working, next you need to find out whether your compressor does kick in when you experience the issue...
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like a low system charge,IE a leak,which is causing the evap to freeze and why it stops working after awhile.Have the system checked for leaks.
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Jomphe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had pretty much this same problem. I took it to the dealer and they quoted me 1500 for the job. I was like seriously? ha ha yea right. So I talked to the guys at Autozone and a couple others at the dealer to find out what needed to be replaced. They told me the orifice tube and ac lines, evaporator/condenser, and the ac compressor... I bought it all for like 450 and did it myself. wasnt hard at all and im 19

You need to replace the condenser because of the crap that gets into it or something.. I think he said it was because over time the condenser gets filled with crap and if you get the compressor replaced but don't change out the condenser or lines, you run the risk of the crap going through the system and back in the compressor, which GREATLY shortens the new compressors life span... (anyway, it made a lot more sense when he was explaining this. this was last summer though so i dont really remember)

also, YOU MIGHT JUST BE LOW ON FREEON (however you spell that) like the post above me says... a low system charge. I thought my compressor was about to go out again last week since all these symptoms starting happening again.. but I added freeon and I was fine again.
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomphe View Post
I had pretty much this same problem. I took it to the dealer and they quoted me 1500 for the job. I was like seriously? ha ha yea right. So I talked to the guys at Autozone and a couple others at the dealer to find out what needed to be replaced. They told me the orifice tube and ac lines, evaporator/condenser, and the ac compressor... I bought it all for like 450 and did it myself. wasnt hard at all and im 19

You need to replace the condenser because of the crap that gets into it or something.. I think he said it was because over time the condenser gets filled with crap and if you get the compressor replaced but don't change out the condenser or lines, you run the risk of the crap going through the system and back in the compressor, which GREATLY shortens the new compressors life span... (anyway, it made a lot more sense when he was explaining this. this was last summer though so i dont really remember)

also, YOU MIGHT JUST BE LOW ON FREEON (however you spell that) like the post above me says... a low system charge. I thought my compressor was about to go out again last week since all these symptoms starting happening again.. but I added freeon and I was fine again.
Did you evacuate the system before you added freon?If not you might be doing a discharge,evacuate,in the near future.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
Did you evacuate the system before you added freon?If not you might be doing a discharge,evacuate,in the near future.
And a new compressor and reciever/dryer.

Changing the evap is the hardest part as the whole dassh has to be removed.Plus thesystem must be properly evacuated 1st,then pulled to a vacuum before adding the correct amount of R134A,no freon(Dupont R12) used.
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Jomphe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yea i emptied all the freon that was in the system. after that i replaced everything (orifice tube/ac lines, ac compressor, receiver/dryer) . THEN i took it to an actual mechanic shop to get it recharged and to make sure there were no leaks... all the tests came out fine and it was holding the pressure perfectly
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

Gee, I guess we are lucky...
The only thing we have needed to replace on the A/C system
is the A/C condenser!
Everything else works just fine!
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomphe View Post
yea i emptied all the freon that was in the system .
Exactly what process did you use to empty it ?
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Exactly what process did you use to empty it ?
Hope he does not post as it was the illegal way.
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Hope he does not post as it was the illegal way.
Thats how they all do it. I get trucks in all of the time that people do their own A/C work and I wonder how they evac'd the system. Not to mention the countless hours trying to figure out what they messed up.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Jomphe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, about that... Luckily, I didn't mess anything up.

Tags
a/c , condensor , evaporator , liberty

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.