2003 KJ Overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 KJ Overheating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

2003 KJ Overheating

Hey guys, 2003 Liberty with 165,000 and a 6cyl. Last November I noticed some major overheating while taking a trip from Vegas to Phoenix (decent mountain traveling through the desert). I was able to solve the problem temporarily with some added coolant and a decent break from the road. Well, that problem has only gotten worse.

I have flushed the coolant, replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor. When I replacing the thermostat, I went to unplug the bottom of the radiator to drain it and nothing came out. Then, when I detached the big tube that the thermostat sits in, a bunch of fluid poured out. I thought it might have been a gunked up thermostat, but now I'm wondering if it is, in fact, a gunked up radiator. It still has the original radiator, and I live in Vegas, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's in need of a new one.

Before I do that, however, I want make sure it's not the electrical fan. So, how can I confirm that it's either the fan or the radiator? Should I just replace them both? Thanks in advance!

Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
dadoftwo
2004 KJ Liberty 

Pop the hood. Start your jeep. Wait and see if the fan kicks on. Shouldn't take more than about ten minutes.
dadoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fan , liberty , overheating , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.