JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   2003 KJ Liberty Door locks - unlocking, but not unlocking, only when key is on? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/2003-kj-liberty-door-locks-unlocking-but-not-unlocking-only-when-key-1543322/)

rileym94 06-30-2013 08:11 PM

2003 KJ Liberty Door locks - unlocking, but not unlocking, only when key is on?

We took my passenger door panel off to investigate the sticky door lock (sometimes not wanting to budge up/down, but working fine when manually moving, decided to try replacing the motor/actuator thingy on that door). In this process, the passenger door panel was off and the lock switch on that side was unhooked.

My stepdad was fighting with the door parts, while I was on the driver side locking and unlocking the door at his request. Suddenly, the switch stopped responding to me trying to lock the door. It unlocked just fine, but wouldn't lock for anything. We checked fuses and relays, all was well. We decided to put the door panel back on, and then the passenger side did the same thing.

We were going to give up for the night, when we turned the key off, they both were working again. This is still the story as of right now, and we're clueless as to what is causing this. My stepdad has been a mechanic for over 40 years and he's never seen this.

Any ideas Jeepers?

DaveJKJ 07-02-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rileym94 (Post 15626111)
We took my passenger door panel off to investigate the sticky door lock (sometimes not wanting to budge up/down, but working fine when manually moving, decided to try replacing the motor/actuator thingy on that door). In this process, the passenger door panel was off and the lock switch on that side was unhooked.

My stepdad was fighting with the door parts, while I was on the driver side locking and unlocking the door at his request. Suddenly, the switch stopped responding to me trying to lock the door. It unlocked just fine, but wouldn't lock for anything. We checked fuses and relays, all was well. We decided to put the door panel back on, and then the passenger side did the same thing.

We were going to give up for the night, when we turned the key off, they both were working again. This is still the story as of right now, and we're clueless as to what is causing this. My stepdad has been a mechanic for over 40 years and he's never seen this.

Any ideas Jeepers?

It might be this way so you can't lock yourself out if the key is in the ignition and on? Since yours is an 03 and mine is an 05 I can't comment further as the system is a little different as far as I know.

rileym94 07-04-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveJKJ (Post 15632027)

It might be this way so you can't lock yourself out if the key is in the ignition and on? Since yours is an 03 and mine is an 05 I can't comment further as the system is a little different as far as I know.

It'll work one day, but not the next. It was working yesterday, but it's not today. That first day, it was a matter of seconds between it working and not.

But I just had a brain fart, possibly my door being open is what keeps it from not locking... ugh, blonde moment.

The time now is 06:53 AM.