2003 jeep liberty starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 jeep liberty starting problems

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
hmel

2003 jeep liberty starting problems

Hey guys,

first time posting here, but i have come across this forum many times and it has always helped.

my question is, i have a 2003 Jeep liberty and it has recently had trouble starting, kinda, let me explain,

it starts no problem but it will not stay on. meaning it will turn over start but then spudder and turn off.
if i press the gas after it turns on i can rev it and it may stay on or may shut off, if i do this a few times in a row rev it, it will eventually stay on and is drivable. any ideas what could be the problem?

no lights on in the dash board and all maintenance has been done.

hmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you still have the original battery, it's probably time for a new one. I just had the same thing happen on my wife's 03 a few weeks ago. Swapped the 6-year-old battery for a new Interstate and haven't had a bit of trouble with it since then. Hope that helps ya!

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
hmel

Thanks, i still have the original battery, i'll give that a try.

i also noticed that my battery is a bit kruddy at the terminals, so probably it is time for a new one.
hmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

yeah I would check the battery too, the KJ acts wierd when the battery goes out. Mine did the same thing when it went dead I had to give it gas to keep it running.
Unread 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
xtcc
2003 KJ Liberty 

change the battery that happened to me
xtcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
tylerxx12
2004 KJ Liberty 

I also have a starting problem with my 04 liberty,I've had a amp hooked up and haven't had a problem, I could leave the radio on for hours and it would start fine, I recently hooked up new fog lights, since then I've had a problem where sometimes I go to start it I just get a single clicking sound, I have to turn the key a few times, and other times when it does start it starts really slow like the battery is dead, so I disconnected the lights and now it doesn't do it as often or as bad but it still does every now and then, mostly in the morning after it sat all night, the batterty, alternator, and starter all test fine, the battery reads 12.57 volts witch I think is a little low, I'm at a loss and I feel like its the battery but I'm not sure
tylerxx12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

The starter could be on it's way out or the connections at the starter need to checked/cleaned/tightened.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerxx12 View Post
I also have a starting problem with my 04 liberty,I've had a amp hooked up and haven't had a problem, I could leave the radio on for hours and it would start fine, I recently hooked up new fog lights, since then I've had a problem where sometimes I go to start it I just get a single clicking sound, I have to turn the key a few times, and other times when it does start it starts really slow like the battery is dead, so I disconnected the lights and now it doesn't do it as often or as bad but it still does every now and then, mostly in the morning after it sat all night, the batterty, alternator, and starter all test fine, the battery reads 12.57 volts witch I think is a little low, I'm at a loss and I feel like its the battery but I'm not sure
Bad battery.Just because it tests "fine or good" does not mean it is.A good battery should be close to or right above 13 volts fully charged.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
tylerxx12
2004 KJ Liberty 

im almost positive its the battery now, it likes to do it if i turn the lights on and put a load on it..but what puzzles me is why it would start after ive tryed it a few times..like why would the battery magically come back to life??? im sure it cant be a starter, every time ive had a bad starter it wouldnt start no matter how many times you try unless you wack it, and ive tryed that to be sure, it will almost always start after it does the single "click" a few times, it ALWAY does it in the morning, but will always start, ive checked the terminals and all the connections seem fine
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Check battery voltage with a voltmeter in the morning. On our '02 KJ recently,the wife mentioned that it didn't seem to turn over as fast as it used to. The battery was 3yrs old. The battery voltage after sitting overnight was 11.6 volts and dropped below 9 volts while cranking. I installed a new battery that day. FWIW, it didn't show any other signs that the battery was getting weak.....
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
tylerxx12
2004 KJ Liberty 

Its slowly getting worse..I'm really puzzled why it only does it sometimes...the battery is 2 1/2 years old, its under warranty and they won't replace it because it tests fine every time I go there. Its supposed to have 680 CCA but only has 600....I've never had to jump it, it always starts after a few tries..
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Again,check battery voltage in the morning. It should have 12 volts-minimum. Anything less than that indicates a bad/failing battery. I don't care what Walmart says......
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Its slowly getting worse..I'm really puzzled why it only does it sometimes...the battery is 2 1/2 years old, its under warranty and they won't replace it because it tests fine every time I go there. Its supposed to have 680 CCA but only has 600....I've never had to jump it, it always starts after a few tries..
It needs to be load tested,not tested by there computer.

Old school load tester,will really tell the truth if the battery is good or bad.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
tylerxx12
2004 KJ Liberty 

changed the battery, still randomly does it....... the starter is fine. wouldnt start all this morning, took a jump and started right up
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
changed the battery, still randomly does it....... the starter is fine. wouldnt start all this morning, took a jump and started right up
Bad battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.