2003 jeep liberty maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 jeep liberty maintenance

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
coolguy147
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 jeep liberty maintenance

hey guys! just joined the forum.

just got my first jeep looking to do some maintenance stuff on it and would like to get some advice

first off, i just changed the air filter with purolator pure one

looking to change the oil and filter

fuel filter

92k miles

what's the reliability? so far it's been good.

EDIT: also, are the fuel pumps on these SUVs generally loud? i noticed while driving that the fuel pump sometimes whines loudly

coolguy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Fuel pump really shouldn't be loud at all. In most cases, it should be almost silent.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not so sure your Jeep even has a fuel filter. A quick looks-see at Rock Auto confirms this. It blew my mind when I found out my '06 didn't have one. As for maintenance, you can never go wrong with Oil, Filter, Front and Rear Differential, Transfer Case, and Coolant Flush. I've never done a Transmission flush myself, I'm terrified of it. I'm a Ford guy originally and so I'm trained to let someone else handle that.

I'm going to change my spark plugs this week when I get a chance. But even that is weird; I don't have spark plug wires... Each plug has its own 'distributor'. Friggin' Jeeps. These guys at jeepforum have turned me on to Rock Auto for my parts needs (aside from my local AutoZone, anyway).

http://www.rockauto.com/
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
cmartin2012

Changing your spark plugs is a good start, make sure you check the gap yourself-they will tell u they are pre-gapped, but each one was different when I did mine. The far rear passenger side can be a pain, just remove the coolant overflow mounted on the firewall.

It sounds intimidating-it's not. Because there are not spark plug wires you unbolt each coil pack and pull it out then u can get to the plug, its very easy just take your time and don't be in a hurry.

I would also seafoam your Libby. I do mine about 2 times a year. There are YouTube videos to watch and see how it's done. I just do the vaccum line-not the crankcase although you can.

Oil/filter

I did the transmission flush myself very easy, can be messy. Picked up the gasket and filter At napa took about an hour. Also on YouTube, sounds harder than it is-seriously.

Rotate tires, check brakes...pretty straight forward to change as well.

If u have more questions let us/me know and we can walk u through it.

Good luck, KJ's can be a lot of fun and pretty easy to maintain.
cmartin2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
coolguy147
2003 KJ Liberty 

gracias guys! i'm a Ford guy myself too! own 98 grand marquis and man that thing is pretty easy to work on i'm used to the coil on plugs idea.

so this car seriously doesn't come with a fuel filter? should the strainer be replaced or something? no strainer? i was wondering about that too because i couldn't find one at rockauto either.

i seafoamed my grand marquis...shouldn't be too difficult with this thing. can i still use the brake booster line?

i have to replace the grill, grille insert, and driver's mirror glass. are these difficult to replace? they're broken in someway.

the fuel pump is generally silent but i noticed after dropping my friend off (in driveway) that it got considerably loud. never noticed it before.

5w-30 with motorcraft Fl-400s filter sound correct? 5 qts?

what kind of coolant does this Liberty take? anybody have a chart on what Chrysler used for coolants throughout the years?

BTW, only have 2wd....did any of these come with trac lok or anything? do i have to worry about a friction modifier?

EDIT: thanks for the help guys! i'm traditionally a Ford guy and but i really like the wrangler and dodge charger! :P
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

the liberty uses HOAT coolant. Do NOT use green conventional or the one size fits all coolant. You can buy the HOAT coolant at either a jeep (mopar coolant) or ford dealer (ford gold coolant) - it should take a total of 1 gallon coolant and 1 water

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Chrysler uses HOAT coolant, its identical to Fords extended life gold coolant, just a different color. It is not the same, and not compatable with dexcool, which is what GM uses. Also as a note, dropping the trans pan and changing the filter is not a trans flush, and is not the same thing. I believe the earlier Libertys had an inline filter, but later models had a non-serviceable filter on the fuel pump module inside the tank. You can use seafoam, but it's mediocre at best at cleaning. Mopar, Motorcraft, BG, all make top end engine cleaners that make seafoam seem like water in comparison in cleaning. Only trick, you need an apparatus to spray it in the engine.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
coolguy147
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Chrysler uses HOAT coolant, its identical to Fords extended life gold coolant, just a different color. It is not the same, and not compatable with dexcool, which is what GM uses. Also as a note, dropping the trans pan and changing the filter is not a trans flush, and is not the same thing. I believe the earlier Libertys had an inline filter, but later models had a non-serviceable filter on the fuel pump module inside the tank. You can use seafoam, but it's mediocre at best at cleaning. Mopar, Motorcraft, BG, all make top end engine cleaners that make seafoam seem like water in comparison in cleaning. Only trick, you need an apparatus to spray it in the engine.
can i use Ford's extended life gold coolant in my jeep?

i won't be doing anything with the trans just yet.

inline fuel filter? does my jeep count as an early jeep? where's the fuel filter?
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy147 View Post
can i use Ford's extended life gold coolant in my jeep?

i won't be doing anything with the trans just yet.

inline fuel filter? does my jeep count as an early jeep? where's the fuel filter?
Yes you can use Ford's Premium Gold coolant,you can use Zerex GO5 also.

You do have a inline filter,it sits right on top of the gas tank.

In the pic below the yellow box is the leak detection pump,the fuel filter for your KJ is to the right(drivers side) and above the leak detection pump.

Unread 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
coolguy147
2003 KJ Liberty 

good stuff, difficult to get to? how would a mechanic charge with the filter and all?
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
cmartin2012

In my 2003 the manual says 5w-20, but I do 5-30 now after 100,000 seems to work well for me...5qts is correct.

I seafoamed through the brake booster and worked well for me...at least on the top end.

When you asked about hearing the fuel pump are you talking about only before start up or while running? I can always hear mine load the line at start up if you turn the key one click before staring the engine...that has always been normal for me...kind a high pitch for a second.

Hope that helps.
cmartin2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
good stuff, difficult to get to? how would a mechanic charge with the filter and all?
Some early KJ's have a access panel under the rear carpet that you have to cut out to get to the filter,or drop the gas tank about 6" and access it that way(which I do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin2012 View Post
In my 2003 the manual says 5w-20, but I do 5-30 now after 100,000 seems to work well for me...5qts is correct.

5w-30 is the recommended oil till '06.No mention of 5w-20 in any KJ manual till '06.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
coolguy147
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin2012 View Post

I seafoamed through the brake booster and worked well for me...at least on the top end.

When you asked about hearing the fuel pump are you talking about only before start up or while running? I can always hear mine load the line at start up if you turn the key one click before staring the engine...that has always been normal for me...kind a high pitch for a second.

Hope that helps.
the fuel pump whine upon start is normal for any fuel injected car lol?

i noticed at idle that it whined louder than normal lol.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
the fuel pump whine upon start is normal for any fuel injected car lol?

i noticed at idle that it whined louder than normal lol.
Unless your hearing is in the dog range then if you can hear your pump something is wrong.2 biggest causes of loud fuel pumps is a partially plugged fuel filter or the pump is on it's way out.I've ran into both of those issues many times but running below 1/4 tank constantly is the biggest killer of fuel pumps,ask any GM owner when they run out of gas.Why Chryslers turn on the low fuel light when there is 3+ gallons left since the pump needs to be submerged in fuel to keep cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.