2003 jeep liberty - Loosing coolant? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 jeep liberty - Loosing coolant?

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
osufans

like said before, do a pressure test, or find a reputable shop that can also do a dye test. with this, they add dye to the coolant, then they check for any signs of where it may be leaking.

i've had a similar problem in a 2000 Ford Ranger. not sure if these engines are susceptible to this same issue or not, but my ranger actually had a poorly designed head gasket (steel block, aluminum heads - gasket would develop a leak) and the engine would just "burn" the coolant, without any sign of it leaking anywhere.

also, something you could check...it could just be as simple as your pressure cap going bad, and you may just be losing coolant out of it while you're driving. usually, you will see corrosion and smell hot coolant if this is the case.

osufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
polivo

i took a second look today, real close. and i see droplets of water.. or possibly coolant on the top right bracket (battery side) of the radiator. Then some dry white lines from the top to the bottom of the right side of the radiator. Im no mechanic.. but it looks like very little coolant is coming out.. and possibly dripping along the side. Ill take a few pics and post.. maybe you guys can tell me what you think?
polivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

If you have water droplets along side of the radiator its leaking, if your radiator is like mine, its aluminum with plastic tanks on each side, these are not repairable like the old copper radiators with metal tanks, when was the last time you changed antifreeze and flushed it? I would start calling around for a radiator, don't get the cheapest one out there the Chinese ones, aren't worth the time to put in.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
polivo

i did a radiator flush at 50k.. and i just did one at 100k because, I noticed my temp gauge was going past the half way point.. whih it has never done before. But after the radiator flush, I noticed that the tank needed to be refilled. How much should a tank cost to put it? ps.. could that be the source of the sweet smell inside the cabin?
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

I would say yes to the smell, its being drawn in with the fresh air at the cowl at the base of the windshield, do the windows fog up when running the heater? When I said that they weren't repairable I was going on the last one I had and that was 25 years ago (time flies), they may now be able to repair it,
When you change the radiator go ahead and get a new thermostat and radiator cap at the same time. Does yours have the regular engine fan plus the electric fan in front of the radiator? Is it a gasser or a crd? I dont' know what a new one is going to cost you.
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
polivo

I have to check on the fans.. but its not diesel. its a regular 3.7 v6. It has treated me very well, up to the 100k mark. now a few things have cropped up. can afford a new car. Hopefully thats the only place its leaking from. Is there any other way to tell if its leaking into the engine. When i pull the dipstick, its clean, just oil. no milky residue at all?
Unread 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
polivo

is there anyway to upload a pic?
Unread 11-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polivo View Post
is there anyway to upload a pic?

I just use photobucket to upload pics to. It's a free account and works for what I use it for (forum pics). I like that you can set what size pic you can attach - so you don't have to worry how big your pics are.

Once you've uploaded - just copy and paste the "IMG" link into your post.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
brucebotti
2005 KJ Liberty 

I just checked radiator prices at a few places and found:
-Autozone $229
-Rock Auto $135

Just looking at it, it doesn't appear difficult to change.

Bruce
brucebotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #25
polivo

thank you guys. Thanks for all yor advice and help. I did even find a utube video.. which shows the guy replacing a radiator.. becuase it faileed.. exactly where I see water dropletes on mine.. On the same side as mine.. what a weird coincidence. OK.. so im going to assume that since my radiator, clearly is leaking.. that the coolant isnt making its way into the engine. In any case heres the video.YouTube - 2004 Jeep Liberty Radiator Change
Unread 11-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #26
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

Polivo, since the oil looks good you can rule out it's leaking into the oil, if the head gasket was really bad, it would over heat really quick, and it would pressurize the cooling system so far as to blow the cap off of the overflow bottle. From what you are saying I would say the radiator has just gone bad.
Unread 11-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #27
qwik

just for the record

The oem aluminum and plastic tanks are- yes- very fixable from any radiator shop. Unless you just want to trash it . Cost 70$ for like new condition in these parts . Good , inexpensive repair & last a long time
Unread 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #28
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebotti View Post
I just checked radiator prices at a few places and found:
-Autozone $229
-Rock Auto $135

Just looking at it, it doesn't appear difficult to change.

Bruce
It's easy, but MAKE SURE you pull the battery and battery tray before trying to wiggle the radiator out.

Ask tjkj2002 all about that :P
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.