2003 jeep liberty 4 wheel drive problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2003 jeep liberty 4 wheel drive problem

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
jpietruch

2003 jeep liberty 4 wheel drive problem

I have a 2003 jeep liberty that won't go into 4 wheel drive. I'm hearing a grinding noise coming from the front end. I don't think the front hubs are locking in properly. I have the factory service manual but can't find any reference to the front hub assembly as it refer to the 4 wheel drive system. I have worked on other 4 wheel drive problems. I would like to know where to start get the more information on the 4 wheel drive system or help as what I need to check.
Thanks Joe

jpietruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
jimymc
2003 KJ Liberty 

Liberty's don't have locking hubs. They are engaged at all times. It is difficult to determine what your problem is with so little information. Are you trying to shift into 4LO while you are rolling above 2-3mph? Which transfer case do you have?
jimymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
WXman
2001 WJ 

He's right. The ONLY disconnect is inside the transfer case. Can you add more details about exactly what is going on?
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
jpietruch

I've never worked on jeeps before, all the other 4wd i worked on either had manual or auto locking hubs(no wonder jeeps get crappy gas mileage). Anyway the problem was solved with a front driveshaft change. the boot at the rear of the driveshaft(at the transfer case) had torn and the cv joint was bad. So I had to replace the whole driveshaft. Thanks for all your help.
Joe
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpietruch View Post
I've never worked on jeeps before, all the other 4wd i worked on either had manual or auto locking hubs(no wonder jeeps get crappy gas mileage). Anyway the problem was solved with a front driveshaft change. the boot at the rear of the driveshaft(at the transfer case) had torn and the cv joint was bad. So I had to replace the whole driveshaft. Thanks for all your help.
Joe
You won't see any more mpg's with manual hubs on a KJ,maybe .5 more but that's stretching it.I ran for over a year with no front diff,CV axles,or driveshaft and never once got any better mpg's then when it all was in a spinning.
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpietruch View Post
Joe

Next time that happens, DON'T replace the entire driveshaft. You can buy the CV joint assy. for about $70 and fix it yourself. That'll save huge $$$$.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
jpietruch

the cv joint that was bad was the one on the rear end of the driveshaft (where it connects to the transfer case). that one is an integral part of the driveshaft, I guess it could be replaced with the correct equipment, but it won't be easy.
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
WXman
2001 WJ 

Actually it is easy. It's $70 and about 5 minutes of your time. All you need is snap ring pliers.

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-jo.../prod_430.html
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
Jomphe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey jpietruch,

My Liberty has been having the same problem. I've gotten underneath the car and seen where the boot has come off and everything.

I'm wondering how much it cost you to fix? because I'm not exactly sure what the CV Joint Assembly is but I'm pretty sure I need to replace the entire drive shaft...

Thanks,
Philippe
Jomphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Again
Listen to the above information
you do not have to replace the whole driveshaft assembly
very easy to do
contact ericautopart@aol.com
AutoPartsUnlimited
800-270-5224
he'll ship one out in no time
takes longer to remove it from the KJ than it does to swap heads
Unread 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
jpietruch

my bad you all are correct about the cv joint. After following the link, I saw the replacement joint. I assumed it was snap-ringed to the driveshaft but I didn't realize the cap could be removed so easily. I thought the end cap was pressed on and would be damaged when removed. In all the searching I did the only cv joint I found was for the front of the ds. I will have to keep that company link saved for future use.
Thanks for all your help.
Joe

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.