2002 Liberty Stalling after transmission filter replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty Stalling after transmission filter replacement

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
pjster8589

2002 Liberty Stalling after transmission filter replacement

The transmission on my 2002 Liberty (3.7L) started slipping. It would run fine for a few minutes then start slipping. If I shut it off for a few minutes and turn it back on, it would work for a few minutes then start slipping again.
It was long over due for a fluid and filter change so I started with that. It now works with no slipping. The engine light had gone on and threw the low transmission pressure code which was expected. So I reset that.
The problem now is the jeep will surge slightly at low speeds and stall at a stop. It is apparent that the torque converter isn't disengaging all the time. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I would think it was a fault with the torque converter only except for the surging. When at idle in gear you can actually feel the torque converter lock and unlock causing either a stall or almost a stall. The slight surging is at low speeds. It idles fine in neutral or park. Would a faulty TPS or IAC cause the converter to lock at idle speed? Any help would be appreciated.

pjster8589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Time for a rebuild.

Once a auto trans starts slipping it's all over and no saving it.New fluid with that bad of slipping,even just 1/3 new fluid,can be enough to dislodge all that clutch material and cause major issues.
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
pjster8589

Thanks for replying. I was thinking new tranny too but remained hopefull that by some minute chance a filter and fluid change would be all it takes. After all that is what is recommended as the first step. Then also the chance something else would go wrong at the same time to cause the stalling and surging was also very small.
pjster8589 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.