2002 Liberty sport revs but only goes 10mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty sport revs but only goes 10mph

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
shawzie

2002 Liberty sport revs but only goes 10mph

Any ideas,its like the clutch isn't fully letting go. Changes gears fine nice and smooth but when I put it in first it revs high and only lets me go 10mph? shift into second and same thing,went all the way up to 4th and I couldn't go faster then 10mph. Its like the clutch is pressed in 3/4 of the way still even know its fully released. I pulled the clutch slave cylinder and it had quite a bit of spring to it when i loosened the bolts off,the one thing I noticed is it didnt have the white straps on the sides like i see on the pictures of new ones?are those straps just for installation or do they push the rod back into the cylinder when you let go of the pedal?

shawzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
JumpsInPuddles
2014 JK Wrangler 

what are all your current fluid levels and colors?
JumpsInPuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
shawzie

All fluid levels are good as well as the color. I can put it any gear.take my foot off of the clutch and without giving it gas it will roll forward ver very slowly and it won't stall????? Could the clutch be slipping and need rebuilt?
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same symptoms on a old honda civic I was driving for awhile. Clutch was smoked. Have you had any symptoms leading up to this or did it all of a sudden happend one day when you went to drive it? Have you smelled anything "buring" or anything of that nature? For instance in my civic my "sweet spot" on the clutch (right where everything engages) kept getting closer and closer to end of the pedal release. Eventually pedal was out all the way and could barely move. That and I noticed going up hills it wanted to slip a bit at first then just got progressively worse and the got the symptoms you're explaining.
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
shawzie

Hey,it happened about a month ago to the wife,she parked it at home until I got home from work,she said she thought it was overheating cause she could smell a plasticy smell(her words) and she couldn't go faster then 10kmh and the engine would just rev,when I got home and took it for a test it ran fine and has ran fine for the last month until saturday?????????
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like you need a complete new clutch assembly.
If you have the clutch replaced, make sure that the flywheel is not machined flat....which is what most clutch shops would do if the flywheel is slightly damaged. The flywheel on the manual KJ does not have a flat surface but rather a slight bulge on it...if the surface is machined flat the new clutch assembly will not work and you will have to buy a new flywheel! This issue has been raised on a number of KJ Jeep sites!
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
shawzie

Ok,so went out back and started playing around,I stuck a rag in the master clutch cylinder and sucked up all the fluid in the resevoir,the clutch pedal was kind of sloppy but it still engaged at the same spot and I could go a little faster in first as well as if I put it in first and let go of the clutch without any throttle it would start to stall?? So my question is what pushes the cylinder rod back into the cylinder to release the clutch? Is there a return on the master cylinder that isn't letting the fluid back in all the way. I have read about slipping clutches and everywhere it said it happened slowly,could it just happen all at once??
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, you might be barking up the right tree with the cylinder rod assembly. I'm not too familiar with that but since it happened all of a sudden rules out slipping clutch, at least in my book. I've never had one fail over night...always happens over time. Hopefully someone will chime in and shed more light on the master cylinder for you.
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.