2002 Liberty rear end groaning noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty rear end groaning noise

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
quagmire

2002 Liberty rear end groaning noise

I have an ongoing problem with my 2002 Liberty Limited 4wd. I get a loud groaning noise from the rear of the vehicle when I turn in either direction. The sharper the turn the louder the noise.

The noise is so loud it can be heard by anyone walking in a parking lot nearby. The noise gets worse as the tire pressure gets lower in the rear, which is another problem I presume is related. I only lose pressure in the rear two tires at an alarming rate. I have to check them weekly and almost always they are 25psi or less. I have swapped out the tires and got the same results so they are not leaking on their own. I think the pressure drop is caused by whatever is making the noise. It feels like it is putting a tremendous strain on the rear end.

I have had it to different mechanics, jeep garages etc. with no luck. I have had the alignment checked and rechecked to no avail.

Unfortunately for me, the 2 times I had the jeep in for this problem we had massive snow storms. When traction is limited, such as by snow, this noise is almost non-existent and I get the "this guy is nuts" look from the repair shops.

I only have 50,000 miles on this vehicle and I have had front end recalls, numerous sets of brakes and even replaced the rear drive shaft because it somehow was bent? I don't go offroad or abuse my jeep in any way, in fact I probably baby it too much.

If I can't get this fixed soon I'm just gonna drive it off a bridge. I have been dealing with this noise for 2 years now. I don't drive it much at all anymore because of it.

Anyone?

quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you have the Trac Loc rear diff you need to pull the diff cover,clean out all the old gear lube,inspect for big metal chunks,apply RTV to cleaned diff cover,and add 4oz of friction modifier and then add the gear oil.

Sounds like a LSD that isn't happy since it's friction modifiers are all used up or was not put back in.But if been driving like that for 2+ years your probably never going to get rid of the noise since it will be smoked beyond repair,a rebuild will most likely be needed then but try the friction modifier/new gear oil 1st(cheap fix) before having to drop $1000+ on a rear diff.
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
quagmire

Thanks. I'll try and do the clean and lube.

What bugs me most is I had this vehicle at the jeep dealership (now out of business, go figure) for this same noise and they found the bent rear driveshaft. That seems like a good indication of some "other" problem that they might have investigated.

I'm sure you are right and the rear end is totally smoked.

Thanks for the insight.
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Use spray brake cleaner to get the diff cleaned out.
Allow 30 minutes for the RTV to set before adding Lube of GL5-75W-140 (can use synthetic)
The Chrysler Limited slip Additive in 4 oz bottle must be added if you have the Trac-Lok diff.
The part number for friction modifier is 04318060AB
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
quagmire

Thanks for the part numbers. Cheers.
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
quagmire

Ok, so I removed the rear differential cover and the fluid was pretty clean. Here is what I found. There are no shavings or metal flakes or big pieces in there. I'm hoping this looks like a fluid change and friction additive fix.

IMAG0071 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0072 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0073 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
quagmire

You guys rock! I am happy to say that after a good cleaning and installing new gear lube and friction modifier my rear end is now noise free!

I should be paying you guys instead of inept dealership mechanics.
Unread 03-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

This service should be performed frequently. Every 12-15 thousand miles.
No noise is a good sign!
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
scottunangst

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Ok, so I removed the rear differential cover and the fluid was pretty clean. Here is what I found. There are no shavings or metal flakes or big pieces in there. I'm hoping this looks like a fluid change and friction additive fix.

IMAG0071 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0072 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0073 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
it does not look lke you have trac-lock to me. my crd has it but i have not had the cover off yet to see it. i have worked on gm limitrd slip rear ends, they have cluch packs in them. the additive will not hurt anything.
scottunangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
Benibiker
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had the same problem, same fix...
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
steveW2
2002 KJ Liberty 

Same problem except worse!!!

I have the same noise. Pulled the cover and had a ton of metal shavings and the fluid was very bubbly. All the gears looked fine, and are wearing evenly. I replaced the fluid and I still have the noise. I used 75w 90 synthetic. I did not use the friction modifier. Any ideas?
steveW2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.