2002 Liberty limited, Jangling sound mystery, Help?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty limited, Jangling sound mystery, Help??

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
JeepJerry2112
2002 KJ Liberty 

2002 Liberty limited, Jangling sound mystery, Help??

Hello. I have a 2002 liberty limited, 3.7l. After using 4wd this past winter (have no idea if 4wd has anything to do with it) the jeep began making a jingling sound from underneath, it only makes the sound when moving and gets louder and the jingling gets faster as I accelerate, it does not go away while moving, and is there everytime I drive. I have a little mechanical skill and checked thoughrowly for any loose parts, etc. underneath and found none. I brought the jeep for inspection an asked the shop to fix anything that was unsafe and would hinder my getting a sticker. They did put some brake pads on and took all of the wheels of and cleaned the brakes etc. and gave me a sticker. Still the same noise, so I went back and all of the mechanics had gone for the weekend....anyway it sounds like dragging a string with washers and spoons attached to the end. The noise seems to be coming from underneath the middle of the jeep somewhere.Any ideas, or similar experiences? Transfer case? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

JeepJerry2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
jasondwalker
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hi,
I had exactly the same symptoms with mine here in Australia and I can almost guarantee it is the front drive shaft. Mine failed at the cv on the transmission side. Replacement part here starts at $1300!!! Mine is currently spending a little time as a 2wd until I can source a new driveshaft from the US and get it shipped out here. I would recommend removing the driveshaft immediately in case it locks up...
Hope this has helped.
jasondwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Scottm2010
2003 KJ Liberty 

I have the same problem! I will check it out to see if it is the front drive shaft.
Scottm2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remove your front driveshaft and drive around and see if it goes away. If it does, then there's your problem.
You can do a preliminary check and check the boot around the t-case end of the DS and if you notice any tears in it then you know that's your problem.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Just to add, 99.9% it's the front driveshaft. Exact same thing happened on my 2005 KJ. From reading around various Jeep forums, it's a common problem with KJs (along with cracks in the radiator).
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

noise

Great i just bought the thing. well i know what the noise is now. has anyone had this fixed and what did it cost you.
thanks

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Scottm2010
2003 KJ Liberty 

Well, I just replaced my radiator because it had a crack in it... now to the next common issue. Haha. I would also like to know what it cost others here in the US to fix it. Is it something that you can still drive around on or should I get it fixed ASAP?

Thanks!
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Scottm2010
2003 KJ Liberty 

Well, I just replaced my radiator because it had a crack in it... now to the next common issue. Haha. I would also like to know what it cost others here in the US to fix it. Is it something that you can still drive around on or should I get it fixed ASAP?

Thanks!
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you can go to any auto parts store and pick up a refurbished drive shaft for about 370... or look online at CL or ebay... they have some up there for about 100...
curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Scottm2010
2003 KJ Liberty 

Ok, sweet. Is there a specific thing that I should be looking for? Thank you very much!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.