2002 Liberty headlights "wink" at night . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty headlights "wink" at night . . .

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
tpcollins

2002 Liberty headlights "wink" at night . . .

Lately the headlights on my wife's 2002 Liberty will wink out while driving. It's not for any length of time but rather just almost all the way out and then back on with no more issues. Yesterday I pushed and poked the light switch and headlamp wiring but couldn't simulate the problem. If I knew how to disassemble the switch I'd spray the inside with contact cleaner but just may have to pay to have it replaced.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
mjuenem
2005 KJ Liberty 

Do you have stock or equivalent bulbs in the lights and not higher amperage? I haven't had time to check the actual schematics yet, but I am under the impression that headlight circuits are protected by quick resetting breakers to prevent lights from going out completely at night while driving. Might be a over current situation or a weak breaker?
mjuenem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

The headlights are not protected by any fancy circuit breakers....just a normal fuse.

However if higher wattage bulbs are used then you could pick up problems by overloading the High Beam Relay.
I at one stage replaced my standard 65w/55w H5 bulbs...as used on Export models...with 100w/85w which were legal in this country.
Because of the extra current draw I fitted four extra relays right at the light bulbs.....the normal low/high beam current would power the new relays only while the relays then switched +12 volts direct from the battery via thick wiring and inline fuses.

I have since removed this setup as these high power beams have become hard to get here.....probably now illegal...and use the 65w/55w bulbs but good quality Hella bulbs which work fine.

The point of this is that if the OP is using higher power bulbs you can pick up problems....in the meantime the High Beam Relay on the front-lower portion of the fuse panel inside the cabin could be replaced and then the Multi-function switch.

Or what I would do first is add new ground wires from a clean chassis point direct to the grounds on the bulbs....maybe the original ground points are getting rusty!
Unread 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
tpcollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
The headlights are not protected by any fancy circuit breakers....just a normal fuse.

However if higher wattage bulbs are used then you could pick up problems by overloading the High Beam Relay.
I at one stage replaced my standard 65w/55w H5 bulbs...as used on Export models...with 100w/85w which were legal in this country.
Because of the extra current draw I fitted four extra relays right at the light bulbs.....the normal low/high beam current would power the new relays only while the relays then switched +12 volts direct from the battery via thick wiring and inline fuses.

I have since removed this setup as these high power beams have become hard to get here.....probably now illegal...and use the 65w/55w bulbs but good quality Hella bulbs which work fine.

The point of this is that if the OP is using higher power bulbs you can pick up problems....in the meantime the High Beam Relay on the front-lower portion of the fuse panel inside the cabin could be replaced and then the Multi-function switch.

Or what I would do first is add new ground wires from a clean chassis point direct to the grounds on the bulbs....maybe the original ground points are getting rusty!

All lights are original so I'll take a look at adding this ground. Can I simply splice into the ground side on one of the headlight leads or should I do this some other way? Thanks.
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Might be worth checking your battery cable connections for corrosion. I had some strange issues with my headlights a few years back when the connections had gotten flaky from corrosion. Eventually other electrical gremlins occurred with the gauges, interior lights and various dash warning lights. Cleaned the connections and everything was resolved.
Unread Yesterday, 05:36 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I agree that the general battery connections should first be checked for corrosion.

Then the OP can have a look at the correct ground position from the circuit diagrams and clean up those connections.....if this does not work then you simply cut away some insulation from the ground wire going to the bulb....check with the circuit diagram that this is the correct wire color....then wrap some spare wire around the exposed wire, insulate it and connect the new section of wire to a clean chassis point somewhere...... best is to try clean up the original grounding point.

You can download the 2002 KJ Service Manual here....includes circuit diagrams and locations of grounding points:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.