2002 Liberty clicking sound when shifting but not moving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty clicking sound when shifting but not moving

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
goblue96
2002 KJ Liberty 

2002 Liberty clicking sound when shifting but not moving

Howdy all. I have a 3.7L 2002 Liberty with just under 130,000 miles. I was looking for some advice about one of the many items on its problem list.

When I start the vehicle and shift into reverse I hear a clicking sound. It's a little difficult to tell where it's coming from, but it appears to be behind me. Let me stress that at this point the Liberty isn't moving. My foot is on the brake and all I'm doing is shifting.

I back out of my garage or parking spot, apply the brake and let the vehicle come to a full stop. I then shift into drive and I hear the clicking sound again. I do not hear the same clicking sound (I hear a ticking sound that I think is exhaust manifold related, but that's a separate issue) when the Liberty is in motion.

Any ideas? I have a hunch that this is the drive shaft u-joint. It's been going on for a while and if that's all it is I'd like to get it fixed but would like to be armed with a little knowledge before I take it to my mechanic.

Thanks for any advice.

goblue96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Normal,it's the shift soliniods.Mine has done it since day one and I drove it of the lot with 3 miles on her.
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
goblue96
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Normal,it's the shift soliniods.Mine has done it since day one and I drove it of the lot with 3 miles on her.
Thanks, tjkj. We'll see, it's definitely not something that my Liberty has always done, probably just in the last 5,000 miles.
goblue96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue96 View Post
Thanks, tjkj. We'll see, it's definitely not something that my Liberty has always done, probably just in the last 5,000 miles.
You may not have noticed it,it's a normal trait for newer electronic Chrysler trans,they all do it.
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
offramp

Mine does it, too. 52k miles. Sound only lasts for a few seconds then stops.
I have figured it was a solenoid but for the life of me can't figure out why it would need to rattle that long.
offramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 , clicking , liberty , u-joint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.