2002 Liberty Air Bag LIght on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty Air Bag LIght on

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
seanskijeep

2002 Liberty Air Bag LIght on

I have a 2002 Liberty and recently the air bag light has been coming on, More lately, i tried taking off the battery for over a 1/2 hour and that did not help. Is there anything I can do without bringing it to the shop?

Unread 06-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Air Bag control module

Best to take it to the shop/dealer.
The Air bag control module will store a fault code.
They can better diagnose fault.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Dvdjhooper
2002 KJ Liberty 

Air Bag light problem

I suggest you might need to replace the clock spring. It is the package of electrical contacts underneath the steering wheel. The horn and cruise control buttons might have also failed. Do you hear a clicking or scratching sound from the column when the wheel is being turned?
Dvdjhooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
jeeplibby1

Just made a new thread will alot of service manuals for 2002 KJ. Look at this and start on page 5. Although I think airbags are not a do it yourself project. They are dangerous. Hope it helps: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3287188/Je...cc-19-Steering
jeeplibby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had the same problem on my 2002 CRD. Removed the plastic covers around the steering wheel and the knee guard panel to get access to the connector that connects the spring connector to the wiring harness; it has about four wires as I recall. I initially tried cleaning/retensioning the contacts but eventualy I directly bypassed the connector and soldered the wires directly from the harness to the connector. Note that the connector on the airbag side has a small plate that shorts the connector pins out when the male/female plug is pulled apart; obviously to protect the airbag from picking up any stray pulse/static and going off unexpectedly. I believe one is supposed to have the airbags replaced after about 10 years so at that time I will get the dealers to do a proper fix.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
hig116

Same problem after replacing radiator

I just replaced the radiator on my 02 Liberty and now the airbag light is on. It definitely wasn't on before I replaced it, so I'm wondering if I somehow caused this. Is there any wires or sensors in the area of the radiator that I may have damaged?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Keith Higginbotham
hig116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Xodius
2008 JK Wrangler 

hehe mine just popped on too. There are 2 sensors in the front, one on each side of the radiator. The first time I swapped my rad no problems. This time, I got a little over zealous and broke one, lol. Zip tied the hell out of it and seems to be working thus far. Pop your hood and on the drivers side look down past the large and small rad hoses. There you will see one of the evil little things. There is also one on the passenger side. Roughly same location.
Xodius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
hig

**Solved** Thanks

I swore I had replied to this with the my results, but I guess not. Sorry about that. I did find both of them and had done the same thing, broke the one on the drivers side. Actually, just broke the clip off the plug to hold the wires into the unit. So I too zipped tied to correct. Everything is fine now.

Thanks for your help,
Keith
hig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
oznext
2003 KJ Liberty 

Guys, same thing happened to me today, just replaced the RAD and accidently i snaped out the sensor, i put it back but the light still on, something else i should do?....(maybe i broke the pins inside the male connector)
oznext is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Xodius
2008 JK Wrangler 

It happens lol. Mine pops on now and then just to say hi. My wife laughs at me cause when it comes on I say hiiiiii mr airbag.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
oznext
2003 KJ Liberty 

So you just have to plug it back and the light will go away? without disconecting the battery and stuff?
oznext is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

i pulled the passenger seat out to deal with a stuck seat belt latch. what would cause my light to stay on from that?
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTCornewell View Post
i pulled the passenger seat out to deal with a stuck seat belt latch. what would cause my light to stay on from that?
Yes
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Xodius
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oznext View Post
So you just have to plug it back and the light will go away? without disconecting the battery and stuff?
I disconnect the bat but that is me. My father in law who used to work on them pulls the wires and resets them all the time with the batt still connected...I would never do that though. I zip tied mine and sometimes good sometimes not.
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

tjkj2002, could you please give more than a one word answer? maybe, a solution that hopefuly doesn't involve a dealership?
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.