2002 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 Liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
jser81481

2002 Liberty

About 2 years ago my car started to overheat. I noticed the coolant looked abnormally rusty. Took it to a mechanic, he says he flushed it thoroughly and replaced the water pump which he said was the problem. About 2 weeks ago it started to overheat again. When I got home and popped the hood, I saw the entire front of the engine was covered in what seemed to be the same rusty look. I flushed the radiator and cleaned out a lot of that what seems to be rusty. Then added coolant and some radiator bars leak on a recommendation from a friend that I trust with that knowledge. Car then ran good for awhile. Then 2 days ago I went outside to a small drip of coolant coming from the passenger side of the radiator. When I started the car I instantly smelled the coolant and had a lot of the rusty colored coolant leaking from the entire front of the radiator. After about a minute it stopped leaking and it hasn't overheated or leaked again since. Any help will be appreciated as I would like to save money if I can do anything myself.

jser81481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, but you're in the wrong section. You want to post this here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f291/
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

First you need a new radiator
second hopefully you can flush all of that da** stop leak out of the system, not good using it
You should also swap out the thermostat and possibly the water pump since you put that stop leak in
Did you use the right type of coolant ?
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Replace the radiator(common leak on KJ's) and flush again to get that stop leak out of the system ASAP.Make sure to use the correct HOAT coolant,do not use any coolant that say's--"all makes/models" or "universal".Do not use any coolant made by prestone,they do not make any HOAT coolant.

Damn Tom you type faster then me!!!!!
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Have to be quick to get ahead of you at times !!
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
jstraw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any suggestions of when I should flush a 2002 with no problems? I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... This is the longest I've owned a jeep and I have never changed any fluids yet.
jstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have no idea what kind of miles you have on your 02, but best guess is that you should be on flush number 3 by now.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.