2002 KJ Speedometer and Odometer Inop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2002 KJ Speedometer and Odometer Inop

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
DIYMechanic

2002 KJ Speedometer and Odometer Inop

Hey all, I am back again. After the trouble we had with the engine in Dad's new (to him) KJ, we were just glad to have it running. Now that he has been able to put a few miles on it, we're turning our sights on some other little issues. The first of which is the fact that the speedometer and odometer don't work. Nothing. Zero. Nada. The tachometer and the rest of the gauge cluster work just fine, but the speedo and odo are a no go. I have checked all the fuses, relays, etc, we replaced the speed sensor as well (there was one in the console when we bough the Jeep). Still nothing. We did find a place in the wiring harness near the sensor that was chaffed enough that the insulation was rubbed through. We cut out the bad section of wire, shortened the harness and soldered things back together, but still nothing. Is there something we can try short of replacing the instrument panel?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

--DIY

DIYMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
DIYMechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
Come on, seriously? I did try the search function and for whatever reason it wasn't working for me. It was pulling up results from all over the forum sections and not limiting them to the KJ section.

Also, I have already tried replacing the speed sensor on the rear differential and I have spliced the wires, as I stated in my post above.
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

What I would do if I was you would be to take the instrument panel out and look at the Circuits. More than likely if the wires going to it were shorted out, then something on the panel its self may be burned out. That will let you know what way you have to go. If the panel is good, then you know that the issue is behind it.

Does the LED odometer even light up?
forcrz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
DIYMechanic

Nope, the odometer doesn't even light up. Speedometer doesn't move, nothing out of that gauge at all. I appreciate the input.

Does anyone know if there is a way to test the signal coming from the speed sensor with a DVOM to determine that it is indeed sending a signal? I would hate to go through all this only to find that it is a bad sensor right out of the box or a wiring issue somewhere else along the circuit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.