2 tows and $2300 please help diagnose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2 tows and $2300 please help diagnose

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

2 tows and $2300 please help diagnose

Our Jeep Liberty has been giving us problems all of 2013.

Had it towed twice to the Teterboro Jeep repair shop and they are just milking us.

Liberty is overheating when ever it feels like it.

Dealership changed the water pump, the relay under the battery and the coolant cap, thermostat, radiator.

Today we turned the AC on and the Liberty overheated, AGAIN. Seems to overheat with the AC on as of today.

What the hell is wrong with this Liberty?

Dealership is milking us, there is no way that they dont have the diagnostic tools to isolate the problem.

We turned the AC on today and noticed two things, Jeep overheats and AC clutch is noisy, AC clutch engages and makes serpentine belt jump and shake, clutch turns off and belt spins smoothly.

Does anyone know why this Liberty has been overheating sporadically?

d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

I keep reading and the internet says it could be the coolant temp sensor, is that the same as a thermostat? Would that cause overheating when AC is on?
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5332 View Post
We turned the AC on today and noticed two things, Jeep overheats and AC clutch is noisy, AC clutch engages and makes serpentine belt jump and shake, clutch turns off and belt spins smoothly.
That right there is all you need to know to fix it.

As far as the other things,well I wouldn't say they ripped you off as sometimes you have to start somewhere.Not like they can just look at the waterpump impeller with it installed and once they remove it might as well put in a new one.The t-stat should be replaced after overheating as they tend to fail once they get really hot.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Darn it, so AC Clutch, again, replaced it a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That right there is all you need to know to fix it.

As far as the other things,well I wouldn't say they ripped you off as sometimes you have to start somewhere.Not like they can just look at the waterpump impeller with it installed and once they remove it might as well put in a new one.The t-stat should be replaced after overheating as they tend to fail once they get really hot.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

I will order a new AC Clutch and pray it does not overheat while running normal without AC on.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5332 View Post
Darn it, so AC Clutch, again, replaced it a couple of years ago.
Well that is part of the problem.The serp belt tensioner is shot also and you may have a bad fan or fan relay also in addition to bad clutch and/or compressor.
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

I always appreciate your feedback.

I will buy a new AC clutch, fan, fan relay and tensioner, even if I dont need them at the rate I am going dealership is going to tell me to replace them as well.

I can install all of the parts myself except for the AC Clutch, I could never find the proper tool kit to remove this specific ac Clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Well that is part of the problem.The serp belt tensioner is shot also and you may have a bad fan or fan relay also in addition to bad clutch and/or compressor.
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

I feel like an idiot, completely taken advantage of by Teterboro NJ Jeep Dealership.

Car just overheated again so I pulled over, jumped out with car still on and looked under the hood. The fan spins when ever it feels like and it makes a grinding noise.

The reason why the Jeep has been overheating on occasion is due to a faulty fan, the dealership has been making me change parts except the fan.

The dealership has to has to has to have known that the fan was failing.

The made me change everything but the fan, i may not get my money back for all of those unnecessary repairs but I will be going over there on Saturday to dump the old fan on their counter and give them a piece of my mind.

In good faith I take it to the dealer so I dont get ripped off.

I know the Jeep dealership has a way to confirm that a fan is faulty, I dont know how to jump a fan but they do and they would have seen what I just saw that sometimes the fan comes on by itself on cue from the temperature and other times it does not and you move if with a finger and it begins spinning.

I feel so stupid!!!!!!
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Its sad when things like this happen. Its not a hard task to test a fan motor to determine if it is good or not. Granted, it seems the dealers and the manufacturers seem to not embrace the use of O-scopes in diagnosing such things, or some of the people they hire lack the intelligence. Anytime a vehicle comes in with an overheat issue that shows symptoms related to lack of airflow, and it has an electric fan for cooling, that motor is getting an amp probe, and the system is getting a full check. Two minutes, ok, five minutes to boot up the tool and check the motor, and I could tell you the motor was bad, regardless of how it performed that moment.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
grenade187
2002 KJ Liberty 

If the the A/C clutch is only making noise when the compressor clicks on, then the problem is not with the clutch, but with the compressor itself, no?
grenade187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
JeepCoMJ
2002 MJ Comanche 

the overheating is because it's not sucking enough heat through to dissipate quick enough to efficiently cool it.

unplug the electric fan, grab a couple of spare wires, a chunk of speaker wire, whatever. strip the ends, pin one end of each wire into the positive and negative terminal on the battery, and touch each terminal with one of the wires inside the electric fan.
JeepCoMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Update:

Intentional or negligent I was forced to replace parts that I dont need.

Since the day I finally figured out the fan faulty the Jeep did not overheat even if sitting in traffic, the fan spins but slowly but it spins. Every so often I guess the fan gets stuck and the overheating was happening.

I purchased a new fan via the internet for $61.00 with free shipping waited for it to arrive and installed it yesterday. Upon plugging it in the fan kick in at full speed like a properly functioning fan should work.

Either the dealership took 2 minutes to try to diagnose and then put me through the "process of elimination" routine or they did it on purpose.

Oddly enough out of all of the receipts that I have from the dealership the only receipts that have a disclaimer are this years overheating receipts. The disclaimer says "customer acknowledges that this is the first step in diagnosis".

My wife usually picks it up and she signed all of the receipts without reading.

The receipt for my power steering pump does not have a disclaimer
AC compressor no disclaimer
rear upper control arm no disclaimer
starter no disclaimer

I paid top dollar per hour at the dealership for peace of mind and this happens to me. You are just not immune to everything in this world.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Not an expert but....

I replaced the clutch once, clutch was making noise and a replacement fixed that issue.

Still using same old compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenade187 View Post
If the the A/C clutch is only making noise when the compressor clicks on, then the problem is not with the clutch, but with the compressor itself, no?
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Typically if your compressor makes noise, there is an internal problem with the compressor. Though clutches fail, the ratio of compressors failing to clutches failing totally independent of a compressor problem is pretty big. In 20 years I can count on one hand the number of clutches that failed on their own, totally independent of a compressor problem.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

I agree and disagree.

Since we have owned the Jeep the ac clutch has been replaced twice.

one time I took it to the dealership, got charged $800.00 for a compressor and clutch. In retrospect the compressor was working and the system was cooling just the clutch was making terrible noise. they installed a compressor with clutch but who knows if I really needed it, system was cooling.

the second time it went bad and mind you it was a Denso "new" dealership installed unit, it went bad in under two years, anyway I was determined not to pay $800 again.

Thanks to this site I learned that AC clutch does go bad. I purchased a clutch on Ebay for $70.00, had it installed because I could not find the right tools and the noises went away.

There is a way to determine if your compressor is fine and you just need a clutch.

If you leave it up to repair shops they will change as many parts as possible which increases the damn bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Typically if your compressor makes noise, there is an internal problem with the compressor. Though clutches fail, the ratio of compressors failing to clutches failing totally independent of a compressor problem is pretty big. In 20 years I can count on one hand the number of clutches that failed on their own, totally independent of a compressor problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.