2.8 crd problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2.8 crd problem

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
davidpals
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: buxton, uk
Posts: 2
2.8 crd problem

hi guys - i posted earlier but in the wrong section me thinks .
when driving home from work today , on an up hill the jeep cut out completely - as if you had turned off the ignition . then selected park ignition off then back on - it started up and drove until it did it again a couple of times - maybe 1/2 mile between . no dash warnings or anything .
got home replaced diesel filter and away again - after the air had gone -took it for a test - after probably 2 miles same again - i am completely at a loss - any ideas what to try next ?? it looks like i gotta go to work in the landy tommorrow -- heres hoping for a solution
cheers dave p

davidpals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
sapoliberty
Registered User
2006  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: felton, ca
Posts: 3
Hi, i was wondering if you got this solved. My guess would have been fuel filter/air in fuel. So in short, I'm no help. Just curious.
sapoliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Bob_Farley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 3
Check the CPS (Crank Position Sensor). It will through a code but not trigger a check engine light. Basically it will run like a champ until it gets hot and the sensor malfunctions.

If it's the CPS it is located on the lower passenger side of the engine about half way up the crank case...you will need to remove the turbo down pipe to change it out...I've heard of people changing without removing the down pipe but I don't see how it can be done without a monkey.
Bob_Farley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Farley View Post
Check the CPS (Crank Position Sensor). It will through a code but not trigger a check engine light. Basically it will run like a champ until it gets hot and the sensor malfunctions.

If it's the CPS it is located on the lower passenger side of the engine about half way up the crank case...you will need to remove the turbo down pipe to change it out...I've heard of people changing without removing the down pipe but I don't see how it can be done without a monkey.

It is actually the Driver side on Davids RHD UK model

I have sent David some information and he has pulled out a P1130 code...which may or may not be relevant. This refers to problems on the Fuel Pressure Rail side but the CPS has also been touted as a possible problem
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Tulmaster
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mid Coast, Oregon
Posts: 3
Hello, Just joined JF in the hopes that someone here might be able to offer additional insight into the problem with my 05 2.8 liberty CRD with 80k miles. I saw Davidpals thread and thought it sounds much like mine which is also heat related. Runs fine cold but as soon as it warms up it goes to limp mode. My codes are the P0093 code for positive fuel pressure deviation or other wise large fuel leak. I am posting all the information on what it does and does not do in my own thread, but my question here is more as to why the cam sensor (or any other sensor that may cause a problem such as described here) is not throwing a code if it is or can be responsible for the problem?
Tulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulmaster View Post
Hello, Just joined JF in the hopes that someone here might be able to offer additional insight into the problem with my 05 2.8 liberty CRD with 80k miles. I saw Davidpals thread and thought it sounds much like mine which is also heat related. Runs fine cold but as soon as it warms up it goes to limp mode. My codes are the P0093 code for positive fuel pressure deviation or other wise large fuel leak. I am posting all the information on what it does and does not do in my own thread, but my question here is more as to why the cam sensor (or any other sensor that may cause a problem such as described here) is not throwing a code if it is or can be responsible for the problem?

Either the crank sensor or the cam sensor can cause this problem of not starting when hot.
As to why no code is posted.....lazy programmers at Chrysler who ran out of interest. Green Diesel Engineering are apparently looking into this to see if they can fix this issue in the ECM/PCM tunes that they do.
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
rkcustoms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: newcastle, uk
Posts: 2
how do you get to the cps on a 2.5 crd model
rkcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Bob_Farley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcustoms
how do you get to the cps on a 2.5 crd model
It's located on the passenger side...from underneath follow the down pipe from the turbo up about midway on the block. You'll need to remove the down pipe from the turbo to access. It's almost accessible without removing but down pipe but you'll need long arms and small hands to remove CPS sensor. Be careful when removing the sensor not to break off the potion in the block.
Bob_Farley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Farley View Post
It's located on the passenger side...from underneath follow the down pipe from the turbo up about midway on the block. You'll need to remove the down pipe from the turbo to access. It's almost accessible without removing but down pipe but you'll need long arms and small hands to remove CPS sensor. Be careful when removing the sensor not to break off the potion in the block.
rkcustoms live in the UK so what you call the "Passenger side" is the "Driver's" side to him!
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
synthetic-oil
Registered User
2006 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dripping Springs, TX
Posts: 22
Go to: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...9b2d7e523b4428

More CRD info there
__________________
06 KJ CRD 545RFE, AMSOIL Oil & Filter
48 T4 Willis Pickup
93 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
84 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gaser
synthetic-oil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
crd , problem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.