2.8 crd problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 2.8 crd problem

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
davidpals
2004 KJ Liberty 

2.8 crd problem

hi guys - i posted earlier but in the wrong section me thinks .
when driving home from work today , on an up hill the jeep cut out completely - as if you had turned off the ignition . then selected park ignition off then back on - it started up and drove until it did it again a couple of times - maybe 1/2 mile between . no dash warnings or anything .
got home replaced diesel filter and away again - after the air had gone -took it for a test - after probably 2 miles same again - i am completely at a loss - any ideas what to try next ?? it looks like i gotta go to work in the landy tommorrow -- heres hoping for a solution
cheers dave p

davidpals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
sapoliberty

Hi, i was wondering if you got this solved. My guess would have been fuel filter/air in fuel. So in short, I'm no help. Just curious.
sapoliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Bob_Farley

Check the CPS (Crank Position Sensor). It will through a code but not trigger a check engine light. Basically it will run like a champ until it gets hot and the sensor malfunctions.

If it's the CPS it is located on the lower passenger side of the engine about half way up the crank case...you will need to remove the turbo down pipe to change it out...I've heard of people changing without removing the down pipe but I don't see how it can be done without a monkey.
Bob_Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Farley View Post
Check the CPS (Crank Position Sensor). It will through a code but not trigger a check engine light. Basically it will run like a champ until it gets hot and the sensor malfunctions.

If it's the CPS it is located on the lower passenger side of the engine about half way up the crank case...you will need to remove the turbo down pipe to change it out...I've heard of people changing without removing the down pipe but I don't see how it can be done without a monkey.

It is actually the Driver side on Davids RHD UK model

I have sent David some information and he has pulled out a P1130 code...which may or may not be relevant. This refers to problems on the Fuel Pressure Rail side but the CPS has also been touted as a possible problem
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Tulmaster
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hello, Just joined JF in the hopes that someone here might be able to offer additional insight into the problem with my 05 2.8 liberty CRD with 80k miles. I saw Davidpals thread and thought it sounds much like mine which is also heat related. Runs fine cold but as soon as it warms up it goes to limp mode. My codes are the P0093 code for positive fuel pressure deviation or other wise large fuel leak. I am posting all the information on what it does and does not do in my own thread, but my question here is more as to why the cam sensor (or any other sensor that may cause a problem such as described here) is not throwing a code if it is or can be responsible for the problem?
Tulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulmaster View Post
Hello, Just joined JF in the hopes that someone here might be able to offer additional insight into the problem with my 05 2.8 liberty CRD with 80k miles. I saw Davidpals thread and thought it sounds much like mine which is also heat related. Runs fine cold but as soon as it warms up it goes to limp mode. My codes are the P0093 code for positive fuel pressure deviation or other wise large fuel leak. I am posting all the information on what it does and does not do in my own thread, but my question here is more as to why the cam sensor (or any other sensor that may cause a problem such as described here) is not throwing a code if it is or can be responsible for the problem?

Either the crank sensor or the cam sensor can cause this problem of not starting when hot.
As to why no code is posted.....lazy programmers at Chrysler who ran out of interest. Green Diesel Engineering are apparently looking into this to see if they can fix this issue in the ECM/PCM tunes that they do.

Tags
crd , problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.