1st Post! Broken Timing Belt - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 1st Post! Broken Timing Belt

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
bigfatsi

10 broken rockers in total. All eight exhaust and two inlets.

The valves are all sat at the same level so presumably are ok.

I'm not planning on taking the head off. I think that'd just be making work for myself.

So, today I'm going to order the rockers/followers/gaskets/washers and drop off the injectors for rebuild.

S

bigfatsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Steve_S

Cool.

That's all the hard work over. The rest is easy!

Steve
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #18
bigfatsi

We'll see, Steve. I'm not convinced. lol

Injectors came back yesterday afternoon. All cleaned up and rebuilt ready to go back.

I'm expecting the rockers today. Well, when I say expecting, I really mean hoping. No faith in Royal Mail. Even next day guaranteed.

So with a bit of luck I'll be rebuilding it tonight. In the fog. At -3. Bugger.

Wish me luck.

S
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
bigfatsi

Rockers on. Cam cover on. Injectors in. Quick pitstop to the pub for some lubricant ;-)

Watch this space. In about an hour or two, I'll either be a happy bunny or a crying wreck...

S
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
bigfatsi

Well, it took another 5 hours to put the truck back together and, quite frankly, I'd had enough at 1am.

Good news and bad news, really.

The truck starts and runs, but seems to take forever to start. Granted, its -4, but its too long. I wonder if there's a small leak in the fuel lines and fuel is running back.

Anyway, its alive (ish)

S
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
bigfatsi

Done (fingers crossed!)

Filled the coolant and started it up to find no. 4 injector chuffing away.

Pulled it out again, cleaned it up and retightened it and it was away.

Quick call to insurance co and nipped out to PO and it's on the road!

Cheers for all the advice in the forum, its been invaluable.

Last question if I may:

How do I turn off the bloody interior lights! They stay on constantly, even when driving. Pushed the buttons, but no change. Is this common?
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Cheers !

Keep up the reports, & let us know how it's working.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #23
bigfatsi

Truck has been on the road for four days now and first impressions are pretty good.

It's a bit noisy and agricultural at low revs when cold, but not rough or lumpy.

There's been a fair bit of smoke at cold start, but I suppose it will take a while to purge the system of all the muck. We've only covered about 60 miles, with only about 10 of those on fast roads.

It would appear that the thermostat is not working as it only gets to the quarter mark (occasionally) mainly sitting barely above the first bar.

Main concern is not mechanically based, but teh truck smells like a dead dog inside. PO obviously had a short black haired mutt of some variety. Have wet n dried it and steam cleaned it to try and reduce the stench. It's getting better daily, but the weather isn't really warm enough to dry the seats out so we're all sat on bin bags. lol

Bonnet won't stay up, rear heated screen terminal has come off and the front brake pads are nearing the limit. Paintwork needs a good claying and maybe a machine polish. None of which is too much of a problem.

So there we go. It's been challenging, but hopefully it'll have been worth it.

S
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #24
goto10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatsi View Post
Cheers for the heads up. Lots of great info on the 'lost' site.

Why? Don't really know! I'm a Land Rover nut but couldn't find a decent Disco in my price range so started looking at other marques. The Jeep came up locally and very cheap so I figured 'what the hell'.

Seen a few heads going for around 200-250 and full engine for around 600 so I may have a fall back, but ideally, a set of rockers and lifters weighs in at 208 plus TB and WP.

We'll see what happens when it arrives tomorrow. GULP.

S
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my cambelt snapped on my 2002 Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) 2.5CRD - pretty much the exact same issues in this thread.
Jeep (main dealer) want 63 per rocker, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a pattern part or cheaper option?
I've broken 2 rockers and several look cracked, so replacing all of them seems to be the order of the day, but at 1008 for 16 rockers it seems massively steep. Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks.
goto10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #25
goto10

Thanks for the welcome. Anyway, found a supplier on eBay who did them for a tenner each. No valves bent and she's up and running again, actually better than before because I had the injectors cleaned whilst they were out.
goto10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Another win !! Congrats.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.