15" Rims/30" Scorpion Tires on Liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 15" Rims/30" Scorpion Tires on Liberty?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Reply
Unread 09-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
nautical_boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
15" Rims/30" Scorpion Tires on Liberty?


I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee with 15"rims and 30"scorpion tires. I want to put them on my new 2004 Jeep Liberty? Is this possible? I just tried 5/16" spacers and they will not work...
Can I order aluminum adapters to bolt on then bolt the rims to them? Is this possible??? Will the tire fit? Will they scrub at all? I believe they are 9.5 in width...??? HELP???

nautical_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #2
madrabbitt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 8,822
um. i think the primary problem would be lack of clearance for the brakes. thats not something a spacer would fix.
__________________
Installing HID's in stock housings is bad. Here is why.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
4Factor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
um. i think the primary problem would be lack of clearance for the brakes. thats not something a spacer would fix.
Unless of course you spaced the wheel out SO far that the brakes were no longer inside the wheel. If you decide to do that, the wheels better be Daytons else it won't fit the image. Oh and you'd better get a copy of Reel 2 Reel's "I like to move it"... gold chains wouldn't be a bad idea either.

All kidding aside, 15" wheels won't fit on a KJ. the brakes will not fit inside a 15" wheel unless you shave the caliper to make it smaller. It's apparently been done, but I wouldn't trust that. Brakes aren't something I'd feel comfortable messing with. I'm sure your insurance would be voided if they ever found out about that mod!
4Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
h_2_o
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14
there is a similar discussion going on over at jeepsunlimited.com with pretty much the exact same thing. However some seem to think thre is a set or two that would work out there. considering there are hundreds of different 15" rims out there currently, the odds that there is a set that fits with some normal backspacing is likely. when someone runs across this rim let us know.
h_2_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
valvestem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Maine
Posts: 240
15" rim on Liberty

Good info 4Factor. A friend of mine who works at a 5 star dealer in southern Maine was under the impression that my 15" 96 jeep alloys would go on my 03 Liberty, but I had to tell him no way Jose with info learned from this forum. I hate to let the factory alloys go with the sale of the old 96, but that's the way is is.
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
h_2_o
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14
actually tonight i tried 5 different sets of 15" rims on a kj. 4 of them there was no way that they would fit like everyone said the caliper was in the way. however on one of the rims i had, it had a 2" backspacing and the extra room that the backspacing gave the rim allowed it to barely fit. i still wouldn't be comfortable with it that way but it did show me that there is something definately out there that should fit. i imagine if you had a descent rim with only 1.5" backspacing you might be able to get around it, but then again i might be wrong.
h_2_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #7
4Factor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o
actually tonight i tried 5 different sets of 15" rims on a kj. 4 of them there was no way that they would fit like everyone said the caliper was in the way. however on one of the rims i had, it had a 2" backspacing and the extra room that the backspacing gave the rim allowed it to barely fit. i still wouldn't be comfortable with it that way but it did show me that there is something definately out there that should fit. i imagine if you had a descent rim with only 1.5" backspacing you might be able to get around it, but then again i might be wrong.
I'm dying to know, and I'm sure a few others here are as well so please answer this.
What's the obsession with 15" wheels? Is there some reason people try to cram them on a Liberty. Personally I think they'd look WAY too small and, at best, look odd. I really don't think that 15" wheels give you any more tire choices, so unless you're looking to get more sidewall, what's with all this talk?
4Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
SpiffBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Factor
I'm dying to know, and I'm sure a few others here are as well so please answer this.
What's the obsession with 15" wheels? Is there some reason people try to cram them on a Liberty. Personally I think they'd look WAY too small and, at best, look odd. I really don't think that 15" wheels give you any more tire choices, so unless you're looking to get more sidewall, what's with all this talk?
I was looking at them for the tire choice. Some tires are available in 15" that are a smaller OD (and thus can fit with only a 2.5" lift) then what's available in 16"

The other idea is, my CJ has 15" rims. If I get larger tires for it, then the "old" tires can go on my KJ. A set of 15" rims are by far less costly then new rubbers.
SpiffBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #9
h_2_o
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 14
right now my interest with it is basically the fact that i'm getting rid of my xj and have a few sets of tires with lots of meat left and rims and really didn't want to have to get rid of them. so that's the reason i personally was curious.
h_2_o is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.