09 Liberty - Squeak Creek Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 09 Liberty - Squeak Creek Noise

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
spolebitski

09 Liberty - Squeak Creek Noise

So I have had this Squeak Creak Noise whatever you want to define it as.

This has been persistent from when I first purchased the Liberty in February. Over the months I have tried to determine what it was.

So far I thought it might be the hard drive on the radio, speakers, door, and seats.

First time it was in the check the radio, works fine no problems.

Second time it was in the seats were greased up works fine.

Third time it was in to see if a tech could isolate the sound, can't hear anything.

Fourth time it was in the service manager wen't along to see if he could isolate the sound, he heard it. On this visit it was isolated to the front seats and console area. The fix insulate the door bezels better works fine no problems ... !agh! insulate the door bezels the sound is coming from the seats and console area !agh! ...

So on the drive home the noise continues. I called this morning (7:30 AM) and am still waiting for a call back as to when I can set an appointment, this is even after a second call at 3:30 PM.

Let me ask this, has anyone had an issue with squeaks, creaks or noises from the interior?

spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
mike79

I am having an issue with the window seals sqeaking/creaking when I hit small bumps, as well as some rattle in the dash. I hate asking a dealer to find the noise because it is such a small thing- so this weekend I am going to have my buddy drive around while I sit shot gun and find the noise in the dash and fix it myself. The window noise, however I am at a loss. If the window is rolled down a few inches, the noise goes away (both driver and passenger sides) which limits the area to the top of the track. I am going to play with it this weekend and see what I can come up with. Other then that, its a pretty solid rig!
mike79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I find the centre console in 'The Wife's' where it meets the centre stack by the shifter is the culprit in her 08 KK.

If you push it to the side slightly (and there is quite a bit of slop) the squeak in her's stops - it drives me nuts, she just turns up the radio (also works driving into a headwind with the slider) I wedged a folded up piece of paper in there and it seems to have solved the noise for now.

Cheaply fastened, chintzy materials seem too thin/light.
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
spolebitski

I'll suggest that as an option to the "experts". I am a bit teed that the manager heard the sound from the console seats area and they insulated the bezels. Makes no sense to me.
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Lots-o-Plastic:Just wait until it's -20 out side. The Jeep comes alive through it squeaks & cracks as heat is applied.
Since my Kj sits outside, I generally use a 120 volt car heater on low, to allow the interior to warm up over a few hours, so it's easier on all the plastics, before I throw on the blower heat.
Every Jeep has it's individual personality, and it's my best friend when the snow flies.
I really don't worry about the squeaks too much, It's a Jeep thing !
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
z06boy
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
I find the centre console in 'The Wife's' where it meets the centre stack by the shifter is the culprit in her 08 KK.

If you push it to the side slightly (and there is quite a bit of slop) the squeak in her's stops - it drives me nuts, she just turns up the radio (also works driving into a headwind with the slider) I wedged a folded up piece of paper in there and it seems to have solved the noise for now.

Cheaply fastened, chintzy materials seem too thin/light.
This 'sound' has started in my 2010 Liberty recently and this morning on the ride in to work it was worse...very annoying...especially with the wife "what is that sound...should a new vehicle be doing that" ?

I will look to see if your fix helps me.

I honestly thought it was the driver's seat but when I pulled into the parking deck and shut the vehicle down I could NOT duplicate the sound and I was moving all around trying to make it happen and it didn't. Seems that the vehicle has to be rolling down the road to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolebitski View Post
I'll suggest that as an option to the "experts". I am a bit teed that the manager heard the sound from the console seats area and they insulated the bezels. Makes no sense to me.

Did you do this and did it help ?

Old thread I know but a shot in the dark.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Plastic interior parts makes noise,no matter what brand of vehicle you own.It's a Jeep and is going to make noises.If you don't like squeaks or rattles buy a $400,000+ Bentley,or turn up the radio.
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
z06boy
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Plastic interior parts makes noise,no matter what brand of vehicle you own.It's a Jeep and is going to make noises.If you don't like squeaks or rattles buy a $400,000+ Bentley,or turn up the radio.
This isn't my first Jeep and I expect "some" squeaks and rattles but not this particular annoying sound on a vehicle that I've only owned a couple of months and it didn't do it when I bought it.

I already 'turn the radio up' due to some other noises but this one is going to be fixed one way or another.

I own a Z06 Vette and 'expect' some squeaks and rattles but it still doesn't have any this annoying even after over 7 years... but thanks for playing.

Someone in the KK forum actually offered some helpful advice...

http://sites.google.com/site/gravedi...attredirects=0
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The fix may be similar to what was done on the MK's. Other "fixes" include white lithium grease on the rails like in the other TSB.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_2300808.pdf

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
z06boy
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The fix may be similar to what was done on the MK's. Other "fixes" include white lithium grease on the rails like in the other TSB.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_2300808.pdf
Thanks Gramps.

I actually "think" I found the issue in my case on the ride home from work yesterday after posting here.

Believe it or not it seems to be the "thing" (I don't know what you call it) that the seatbelt actually clicks in to. Seems that it is/was rubbing ever so slightly between the seat and the console.

As mentioned above it was squeaking until I got in to the parking lot...turned the vehicle off and sat there trying to duplicate/identify the the sound and where it was coming from. Sitting there it made no sound. I was thinking geez...is it coming from the transmission or suspension and bleeding up through the console ? Makes no sense why it's quiet now...must not be the seat. I got out...went in to the office and then posted here and in the KK forums.

On the way home I was thinking about it and it started up again so I then thought wait...seat belt on...it squeaks...seat belt off...no squeak...well there you go. It did not squeak at all on the way in this morning.

See it pays not to "do nothing...because it's a Jeep...expect it".

Thanks for all of the suggestions...should it start up again I have 2 or 3 good options to look in to due to good info from here.
Unread 05-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Have you searched for this problem in the KK Forum because you obviously have the KK and not the KJ?
Just a suggestion...it may be a common problem with the KK.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
ames01

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
This 'sound' has started in my 2010 Liberty recently and this morning on the ride in to work it was worse...very annoying...especially with the wife "what is that sound...should a new vehicle be doing that" ?

I will look to see if your fix helps me.

I honestly thought it was the driver's seat but when I pulled into the parking deck and shut the vehicle down I could NOT duplicate the sound and I was moving all around trying to make it happen and it didn't. Seems that the vehicle has to be rolling down the road to make it happen.

Did you do this and did it help ?

Old thread I know but a shot in the dark.
So obviously jeep did not fix the "sqeak" in center console area. I have owned my 2012 jeep liberty since may and the "squeak" started last November! It is the worst noise I have ever heard in a vehicle. Loud music barely covers the sound. Since the vehicle is under warranty I did get the bezel replaced. The sound is still there but not as bad. Unfortunately I cant listen to loud music with kids in car. Every bump makes it worse. Hoping to find the source soon!
ames01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
davidski
2007 KJ Liberty 

my 2007 just started doing this a week after i bought it. its been in the dealer for a few different things but they said they pulled the entire dash off and lubed and tightened everything. they said that the sound has been fixed, it has not... and it seems to be more frequent now. My wife doesnt drive stick or id have her drive it around and id stick my head to find it.
davidski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.