06' Trailer Light Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 06' Trailer Light Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
drsouce411
2006 KJ Liberty 

06' Trailer Light Problems

I have a 2006 Sport with an aftermarket (Hopkins) plug n play trailer light harness installed last year, that has been pretty much trouble free. Noticed the other day that I have no brake lights on the left side of the trailer, as well as no left turn signal. All other lights are fine (running lights left and right, marker lights, right brake light, all lights on vehicle function as they should). Just no left brake/turn. Crawled under to discover the wire leading from the harness to the rear of my jeep had at some point brushed the exhaust and melted through the wires. I cut the wires, and spliced in a new section as well as new connector and thought that would take care of it. I was wrong. Problem still persists.

I'm not new to wiring issues, and in my experience when you have weird symptoms like this 99% of the time it's a ground issue. Tried another trailer which I know the lights work 100% and duplicated the same issues, so I've isolated it to my jeep being the problem.

Checked the ground wire from the harness (where it T's off the factory tail light harness behind the panel in the rear of the jeep) and that is good. Everything seems normal. Checked the fuse panel in the cabin and all fuses seem to be normal. Am I missing something? This has got me stumped! I've checked everything I know to check short of just buying a new plug-n-play T harness and starting fresh.

Is it possible when the exhaust melted the wires it shorted something out and fried the harness unit or a relay somewhere? I'm at a loss. Any and all input is MUCH appreciated.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

"It doesn't matter how big a ranch you own, or how many cows you brand. The size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather."
drsouce411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
skiwee75
2004 KJ Liberty 

Had something similar happen to me bought a new box wiring harness on eBay for 45bucks and it fixed the problem
skiwee75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsouce411 View Post
Is it possible when the exhaust melted the wires it shorted something out and fried the harness unit or a relay somewhere?
Very possible. The good news is that you won't have to run all new wiring. Just replace the box.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
skiwee75
2004 KJ Liberty 

Your trailer light box got shorted out
skiwee75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.