06 Liberty rough idle, low rpm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 06 Liberty rough idle, low rpm

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
06liberty
2006 KJ Liberty 

06 Liberty rough idle, low rpm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just bought a 06 jeep Liberty. Has 52,000 (not diesel). Has rough idle when stopped at a light. RPM sitting at 500 when stopped. If put in park RPM at 700-750.
*engine light on
Dealership visit 1: replace spark plugs,
*highway travel 1200 km
*engine light on
Dealership visit 2: Blew out carb build up
*in town driving and highway trip 600 KM
Dealership Visit 3: they told me spark plug was dirty with carb tried to adjust the idle
*worked okay for about 10 KM then same issue arises.
The jeep idles so hard the jeep shakes, and now when going to a stop the jeep jerks when at about 8 km/hr until I come to a complete stop. The dealer is telling me that this is normal for a jeep and not to expect it to run like a Cadillac. I have gone on numerous road trips in a Jeep and no one else I know has ever had this issue. I know how normal jeeps are and this is far beyond what "normal". What do I do now?

06liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
cctrudel
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06liberty View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just bought a 06 jeep Liberty. Has 52,000 (not diesel). Has rough idle when stopped at a light. RPM sitting at 500 when stopped. If put in park RPM at 700-750.
*engine light on
Dealership visit 1: replace spark plugs,
*highway travel 1200 km
*engine light on
Dealership visit 2: Blew out carb build up
*in town driving and highway trip 600 KM
Dealership Visit 3: they told me spark plug was dirty with carb tried to adjust the idle
*worked okay for about 10 KM then same issue arises.
The jeep idles so hard the jeep shakes, and now when going to a stop the jeep jerks when at about 8 km/hr until I come to a complete stop. The dealer is telling me that this is normal for a jeep and not to expect it to run like a Cadillac. I have gone on numerous road trips in a Jeep and no one else I know has ever had this issue. I know how normal jeeps are and this is far beyond what "normal". What do I do now?

Do you happen to have the Engine Trouble Code? If the engine light comes on again, you can take it to any Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone and "borrow" the onboard diagnostic code reader and get the code.

My guess based on the symptoms you are complaining about, it could be:
1) the spark plug wiring having corrosion/dirt/grim
2) Ignition coil needs to be replaced I found this site (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...lugs-2004-jeep)

If you can get that engine trouble code, post it so maybe it will jog some memories.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L -RIP

1986 & 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ - RIP
cctrudel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
06liberty
2006 KJ Liberty 

Took to dealership again this morning they replaced the #1 cylinder spark plug. They said that they did a few other minor adjustments. I have to go back later in the week to make sure it still is okay. I will post again to update.
06liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
x99j

what is the misfire count at idle (on the drb 3)? if the missfire count is anywhere near 10 per minute tell them to quit sand bagging you!!!! and have them enact the tsb below to cure your problem! this tsb (TSB 09-007-06) is a known problem on o5-06 3.7L's. it involves misfires at idle and calls for replacing the intake valves! this is most definetly the reason it was traded in.
also have them reflash your pcm with the latest software so you can bump your hot idle to 600rpm. mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.