06 liberty CRD wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 06 liberty CRD wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
oscartango
2006 KJ Liberty 

06 liberty CRD wont start

turned key over and just clicks all lights are go and tried jumping it too with no avail. any suggestions? Do not want to be at the mercy of the dealer mech.

oscartango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
gmctd
2005 KJ Liberty 

The CRD won't attempt to start if low battery voltage is sensed by ECM - that red-top has prolly died - have it load-tested at yer local auto emporium
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Al's arms, Moogs; Ranchos; Rubicons, 2.55 Gy's; Suncoast T\C, Transgo
'06 Cummins lift pump module, Fuel Manager\Filter, Filterminder
Four in a row really makes it go
gmctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
LAjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTEthat red-top has prolly died - have it load-tested at yer local auto emporium ][/QUOTE]

Speaking of red tops, what seems to be everyones experience with this battery in CRD's? Mine seems to be on the way out with the cold weather setting in, getting slower on cranks. what would be the best replacement?

2006 KJ CRD... sold 4-21-2012
LAjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
gmctd
2005 KJ Liberty 

The main considerations for a new Optima Redtop over a lead-acid battery are:

- the RT is a deep-cycle type battery, holding it's un-maintained charge far longer than a wet l-a type - 'nuther words, you can leave it sit for long periods and it will still start the engine
- the RT cannot spill electrolyte in extreme-angle off-road events
- slight negative consideration: it's more expensive than the wet l-a type

The first two reasons, heavy on the first, are why DCJ equipped your KJ CRD with the RT battery: they figgered, it being a pricey little booger, the CRD KJ would sit for long periods between tow-behind events in the executive's big 40foot Diesel RV - if, however, it's your daily driver and your main off-roading event is parking on the grass at the church\company\reunion picnic, then let price be your guide................
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Al's arms, Moogs; Ranchos; Rubicons, 2.55 Gy's; Suncoast T\C, Transgo
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

[QUOTE=gmctd;6042964]The main considerations for a new Optima Redtop over a lead-acid battery are:

- the RT is a deep-cycle type battery, holding it's un-maintained charge far longer than a wet l-a type - 'nuther words, you can leave it sit for long periods and it will still start the engine
- the RT cannot spill electrolyte in extreme-angle off-road events
- slight negative consideration: it's more expensive than the wet l-a type

I notice on your add-ons that you are running the InMotion and Edge Trail at the same time. How does that work? Also I would like to hear how the other upgrades are working. Thanks
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
gmctd
2005 KJ Liberty 

Stacking is in the works, but for now, the EDGE Trail is turned off - the Suncoast TCC is required for any upgrade\improvements, and it's lower stall ratio makes the little mule respond much quicker - Transgo supports the new TCC, giving firm quick shifts upon heavy power demand - the larger tires\wheels and the 2.5" lift are nice, but added extra stress on the upper balljoints, wearing them very loose at only 60kmi - lowers were still tight, but replaced all incl new upper arms designed for lifted KJ's - SEGR\Provent\Magnaflow work together to help with the breathing chores, allowing pure fresh O2 on each intake stroke, so very essential in promoting combustion - installing the lift pump in-tank cured a lot of fuel-supply ailments - the Cummins fuel filter\manager did same, plus convenience of top-loaded drop-in filter changes - Filterminder keeps close tabs on the air filter, so very critical to proper Diesel engine operation - all-in-all, it's now fairly much the Jeep the engineers wanted you to have, not the stunted version the bean-counters gave you
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

[QUOTE=gmctd;6054002]Stacking is in the works, but for now, the EDGE Trail is turned off - the Suncoast TCC is required for any upgrade\improvements, and it's lower stall ratio makes the little mule respond much quicker - Transgo supports the new TCC, giving firm quick shifts upon heavy power demand -

Thanks for the info. I would be interested in a permanent thread concerning performance upgrades to the CRD and the results from them.
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
gmctd
2005 KJ Liberty 

lostkjsdotcom..................
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
djrobic
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for this post!

I had the exact problem where my CRD liberty would not start. The truck would not even attempt at turning over. I wasn't sure whether the battery was dead as a result at my MANY failed attempts to start it, or whether it was actual the reason for it failing to start, but it definitely seemed like a low battery issue (horn was barely audible when locking the doors, radio was cutting out when I would roll up or down the power windows, etc). What stumped me was that all I would hear when I turned the key, even while getting a boost, was the clicking of relays.

I broke down in a parking lot two stores down from a Canadian Tire store, so after reading this post, I pulled out the battery to have it tested. Sure enough the test came back as "replace" so whether the battery was the actual problem or not, I knew the money spent on a new battery wouldn't be wasted. I dropped in the new battery and the truck fired up without even thinking twice about it.

Before reading this post I was looking at getting a tow truck to take it a couple blocks down the street to the nearest dealership for a diagnosis, PLUS having to rent a truck with a hitch so I could return my neighbor's trailer I had borrowed... A lot of money saved by taking a few minutes to google the solution!

Thank you so much gmctd for taking the time to reply to this article (i.e. "The CRD won't attempt to start if low battery voltage is sensed by ECM")!
djrobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
WXman
2001 WJ 

I think another consideration for the Optima battery is the vibration resistance. Diesels cause a lot of vibration and harmonics...and the Optima batteries are more suitable for use in the CRD because of that.

Mine is 5 years old and has 85,500 miles on it and started right up today. When it dies, another Optima will go in it's place probably.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
ptompkins
2006 KJ Liberty 

06 CRD, same problem, even replaced the battery with an optima red top (same as what was the OEM) last winter because it kept going dead after 48 hours. Put the new battery in and about 48 - 72 hours later if I had not started the vehicle it was dead. Temps were 30 - 45 degrees F. During the summer I can go about 5 days before the battery is dead, so no matter what I do I have to either jump the damn thing or make sure I start the truck no less than once a day or so. It really sucks, I won't take the truck to the airport because I have no clue if it will start back up when my flight gets back.

The only thing that has been done was a class III hitch installed by the dealer I purchased the vehicle from. It's so dang frustrating I'm about to dump it in the bay and call the insurance company (wish life was that simple) or get screwed on a trade in or sell. Man, less than two years to go.

70K miles or so. Just had to do the fun water in the fuel filter thing today, other than that the turbo has been replaced because it died around 50k miles as well as the fuel filter.
ptompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

ptompkins,

You may want to trace the wiring changes that were added for the trailer wiring and trailer brakes. On one of our KJs we notice a small constant drain on the battery from the trailer wiring. We have not root caused the issue, but yours may be similar.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDE View Post
ptompkins,

You may want to trace the wiring changes that were added for the trailer wiring and trailer brakes. On one of our KJs we notice a small constant drain on the battery from the trailer wiring. We have not root caused the issue, but yours may be similar.

Kieth, if you find the issue on your mules trailer setup - post back as to what was the cause.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
crsantin

I have an 02 Liberty in the shop right now with the exact same issue.

Cold start was never an issue, but once it got hot and I shut her off, I couldn't start it again until it cooled off. Power everywhere but wouldn't even turn over or make a clicking sound.

I took it to the dealer multiple times and they failed to fix it. They replaced the ignition switch but that failed to address the issue.

Took it to my regular mechanic and left it with him for a few days. He was able to trace it to the neutral safety switch which is located in or around the transmission. I have 170,000 kms on mine and this problem started at about 150,000 kms. I've spent the better part of a year trying to get this issue resolved.

I think it is a fairly common problem on the Liberty model. In my months of searching and trying to educate myself, I've found the following possibilities:

1. Starter
2. Fuse box located right in front of your battery. Sometimes the connections corrode causing a break in the signal chain
3. Ignition switch located in the steering column. If you peek inside the left of the column you will see a white plastic piece. Poke that with a long screw driver and try to start your vehicle. If it starts after you lightly tap it, then that's your culprit.
4. Neutral safety switch. Try jiggling or moving your gear selector, switch gears with the ignition engaged, move it in and out of park, try starting in neutral. If the vehicle starts, then this is your culprit.

I'm not sure why my Jeep dealer couldn't find the issue. I suspect they just didn't want to be bothered as they could make more money doing easier and quicker maintainence on other vehicles. I won't be shopping there for my next purchase.

Hope this helps.
crsantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
SliderCRD

my 06 CRD is in for the second time for the same battery drain issues....left it in the garage while on vacation for a week and again came back to a drained battery...dash lights only came on...power locks wouldn't even work.

Last time it was in at dealer they traced it to a drain at the cigarette lighter and sold me a new battery as well....drove it for 2 mos ok with it sitting max weekends until last weeks vacation....so back it went.

I hope the battery is ok since it cost me $300 CDN!!..

If this problem isn't solved I may install a battery shut off switch for the neg terminal for when we go away

Thoughts?
SliderCRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.