06 Liberty / Cherokee Showing Fault Code U0146 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 06 Liberty / Cherokee Showing Fault Code U0146

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
rekab69
2006 KJ Liberty 

06 Liberty / Cherokee Showing Fault Code U0146

Hi Guys,

Our 2006 Cherokee / Liberty CRD is showing U0146 with the MIL light on, bought a code reader and cleared the codes but it comes straight back up..

The only hiccup we have had recently is some bad fuel went in causing it to cut out, I changed the diesel filter and she runs good again but seems to be in limp home mode, won't change into top, and the overdrive button doesn't work either..

Any ideas where to start looking..?

U0146 = LOST COMUNICATIONS WITH GATEWAY A.

Cheers,

Dave..

rekab69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab69 View Post
Hi Guys,

Our 2006 Cherokee / Liberty CRD is showing U0146 with the MIL light on, bought a code reader and cleared the codes but it comes straight back up..

The only hiccup we have had recently is some bad fuel went in causing it to cut out, I changed the diesel filter and she runs good again but seems to be in limp home mode, won't change into top, and the overdrive button doesn't work either..

Any ideas where to start looking..?

U0146 = LOST COMUNICATIONS WITH GATEWAY A.

Cheers,

Dave..

The 2006 CRDs have a known problem....on the USA models at any rate...not sure about the RHD models.

The wiring harness for the ECM has the potential to rub on a metal bracket somewhere in the area of the fuel filter which chafes through the wires and cause all sorts of problems including communication problems. The fuel filter was slightly raised to provide more room for the ABS pump and the harness is put under strain. Have a close look around and behind the fuel filter for any harness problems.

Then there is the Gateway Module which is apparently located behind the LH headlamp assembly....check for good connections there.
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
rekab69
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi Bill, had a look round the loom, seems fine but found a blown fuse for the TMC so think I need to look a little harder as a chaffed wire will blow fuses I guess. Swapped the fuse for a good one and now she runs good again, seem to recall this fuse was replaced recently by our garage... Mmmmm!!

Cheers,

Dave..
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
rekab69
2006 KJ Liberty 

Still looking..

Hi,

I have been a little lazy in tracing this fault by installing a re-setable trip fuse...

But it has now got to the stage where I need to find the chaffing in the loom.. Can anyone give colours of the cables I need to locate & narrow it down to chassis points as I had a look today and there are more wires in the areas mentioned that Battersea power station , which by the way is a disused power station in London!

Thanks,

Dave..
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab69 View Post
Hi,

I have been a little lazy in tracing this fault by installing a re-setable trip fuse...

But it has now got to the stage where I need to find the chaffing in the loom.. Can anyone give colours of the cables I need to locate & narrow it down to chassis points as I had a look today and there are more wires in the areas mentioned that Battersea power station , which by the way is a disused power station in London!

Thanks,

Dave..
Download the 2006 KJ Service manual here...includes the circuit diagrams:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

I doubt you will be able to physically trace all the wiring to find any chaffing....other than behind the fuel head. The wiring takes a long loop around the whole engine bay and goes through channels below the radiator. Even if you are chasing a wire that goes from the fuse/relay box under the hood going to the ECM....a distance of about 18 inches...I can assure you it actually takes this beltway route of about 6 feet.....been there, done it, waiting for the T shirt!

You need to measure with a good Multimeter the suspect wires for their resistance going to ground....and being intermitant this may be a problem!. So you will have to isolate suspect wires on both ends by cutting them off at each end and replace that wire with a temporay length of wire....once you have found the failing wire...leave it in its harness and replace it neatly with a new one and return all your cut-off wires back to their original state by soldering them together with shrink-tubing insulation over the joints.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
rekab69
2006 KJ Liberty 

Agh!

Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD.. Up for sale... No known faults....!! Doh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.