'06 Liberty, brake lights not working. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > '06 Liberty, brake lights not working.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 12-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
spittingglass
2006 KJ Liberty 

'06 Liberty, brake lights not working.

None of my brake lights are working, including the top-mounted brake light on the back glass. I've replaced the bulbs and fuses #7, #9 and #12 with no luck. Turn signals/hazard lights work just fine.

After searching the forum for similar issues, I determined that it's probably a faulty brake light switch or a grounding issue with the wiring running to the assembly. I ordered a brake light switch online, but I've no idea how to install it when it arrives and only a vague idea of where it's located. So my questions are as follows:

1. Can someone post a guide on how to replace the brake light switch, starting with exactly where it's located?

2. If the switch is not the problem, how exactly would I go about testing the wire with a multimeter from the switch to the brake light assemblies? How would I test the full length of the wire seeing as how the wires are concealed inside the vehicle? Would I need to pop off multiple pieces inside the Jeep to access the wire at various points?

I'm a complete rookie at the wiring thing, so if the brake light switch replacement doesn't work, I may just end up taking it to my mechanic. I'd like to try and repair it by myself first, though, regardless of what the problem is.

Help.

spittingglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The brake light switch in located on the brake pedal,just pull the under-dash panel off(two 7mm bolts) and look for the little switch with a plunger on the brake pedal.Easy way to test if it's bad is to disconnect it the connector to it,take a paper clip and jump the 2 wires together in that connector.If the brake lights come on it';s a bad switch,if not then you have another issue somewhere else.Should have constant battery voltage(12+ volts) at one of those wires also regardless if the ignition is on or off.
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I do not know about the 2006 models but on my 2002 it is not a little switch...it is quit large and is actually two switches in one. The FSM for the 2002 model states that the switch cannot be removed and put back again or adjusted and that the one switch is for the brake lights while the other switch is for the cruise control cut-out.
I saw a post by someone else claiming that the two switches are connected together in a fail-safe form but this may only apply to later models.
What I would do is to first jam the brake pedal down and then measure with a voltmeter at the brake lights to see if +12 volts is there but maybe a ground is missing and then start testing for voltage at the switch.
You ideally need a circuit diagram for the 2006 models...I believe there is a link for this over at Lost but otherwise try search www.Scribd.com for 2006 Liberty KJ circuit diagrams or something similar.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Powerslave
2006 KJ Liberty 

It is a SIX wire harness switch, and you need to know which two wires to short for testing. There are other signal wires in the brake switch, among the actual brake light voltage. You simply twist and remove, then you can manually manipulate the plunger, and test the brake line, which should be Tan/White? There is one ground wire used in it. There is a constant 12V source into the switch, which is put to the brake line when the pedal is depressed and the plunger extends. The other wires are for TCC lockup control, and Cruise Control...

I have pulled mine out, and put it back in, no problems. It does say not to reinstall the same switch once you remove it, never saw that before... I have only had one fail on me, if was for a 2000 Cirrus LXi. They are easy to replace if needed.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
spittingglass
2006 KJ Liberty 

Ok, thanks guys. I'll report back in once I have the switch in-hand.
spittingglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.